Poll

How does Densha de Go! 64 work for you (please select right Everdrive 64 model option)

ED64 v1.x - Works fine!
0 (0%)
ED64 v1.x - title screen crash (no response, no sound)
0 (0%)
ED64 v1.x - title screen black + eeprom reset black (sound, can advance)
0 (0%)
ED64 v1.x - title screen black, eeprom reset okay
0 (0%)
ED64 v2.x - Works fine!
8 (61.5%)
ED64 v2.x - title screen crash (no response, no sound)
0 (0%)
ED64 v2.x - title screen black + eeprom reset black (sound, can advance)
0 (0%)
ED64 v2.x - title screen black, eeprom reset okay
0 (0%)
ED64 v3.x - Works fine!
1 (7.7%)
ED64 v3 - title screen crash (no response, no sound)
3 (23.1%)
ED64 v3 - title screen black + eeprom reset black (sound, can advance)
0 (0%)
ED64 v3 - title screen black, eeprom reset okay
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Please test Densha de Go! 64 if you can  (Read 9093 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Please test Densha de Go! 64 if you can
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Regarding the English translation of Densha de Go! 64 (http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6358.0), there is a minor bug which the translator (Zoinkity) is trying to isolate and fix. The title page refuses to display on some TVs (the game itself seems to play fine on any TV, fortunately), so please can you try the game on your N64 setup, and post the results. There is a poll in the translation's release thread (http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7174) but for anyone who isn't a member there, I've made a poll here. I won't be voting here, as I've voted there already.

To see how Densha de Go! 64 works on your system, start the game (from the Everdrive 64 menu, of course), and don't press anything on the joypad. Don't select the controller, let the game auto select it.

Wait until you see the white train in attract mode. When you see that, press START, and you'll see the game's title page and you'll hear a human voice say the name of the game. If you don't see a picture of a train, and instead just see a black screen, then you are witnessing the bug.

Please let us know your results, by voting for whichever of these applies to your situation:

1. If you can see the title screen correctly (it will be a photo of a train, with the name of the game also visible) then you don't have the bug, so please vote for the "Works fine!" option for whichever version of the Everdrive 64 you have.

2. If you have the bug, and no matter what you press on the joypad (try A, then START) then the game doesn't become visible, and there is no sound coming from your TV at all, then please vote for "title screen crash (no response, no sound)" for whichever version of the Everdrive 64 you have.

3. If you have the bug, then when the screen is black, please hold down both B and Z, and then press START. If you hear a beep, but the screen stays black, then please vote for "title screen black + eeprom reset black (sound, can advance)" for whichever version of the Everdrive 64 you have.

4. Lastly, if you have the bug, then when the screen is black, please hold down both B and Z, and then press START. If you hear a beep, and the screen displays text, then please vote for "title screen black, eeprom reset okay" for whichever version of the Everdrive 64 you have.

Please do this if you can, as the more information is available about the bug, the easier it will be to locate and fix.

Offline TonyLizard

• View Profile
Re: Please test Densha de Go! 64 if you can
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:00 PM »
I was wondering if i was the only one with this problem... With my Everdrive v3 after the Taito screen and the introduction video the game will not work, all i can see it's just a black screen.
If you want to know the full setup where i am testing the game: I am using a PAL-French RGB modded N64 with an Everdrive v3 through an RGB cable and a Scart to HDMI upscaler on a Samsung 32F6400 Full HD LED TV. I'm playing with the original controller, no other peripherals added.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:37 PM by TonyLizard »

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:21 PM »
technically spoken i wouldn't combine v2.0 and v2.5 under v2.x
i think the v2.5 has a lot in common with the v3.0 without rtc and the v2.0 is an older design, even if the specs are the same.

btw. the game translation is using cic 5167 (reg:s6 0xDD), so it shouldn't work with OS 1.29 which is the last version supported by the ed64v1
if you really want to drive a japanese train on the ed64v1 you can try to use alt64.
select the rom and push 'c-right' to set the cic and save type manually
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 11:25 PM by saturnu »

Offline oji

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 03:04 AM »
My setup is ED64 v.3 NTSC, RGB-Modded NTSC-U N64, SCART cable, Phillips LED TV, don't remember an exact model, something like the 3-4 years old PFL7xxx series. Have a black screen after pressing the START button, same if i just wait to the end of the intro movie, no issues in any other title.

Offline 30tooth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Black screen fro me ed 2, av, sandisk 4gb SD :(

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Black screen fro me ed 2, av, sandisk 4gb SD :(

Do you know if your Everdrive 64 is a version 2, or a version 2.5, please?

Offline 30tooth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 07:54 PM »
2, I believe im using the correct rom, and im using exdelta ui if that makes a difference
Do you know if your Everdrive 64 is a version 2, or a version 2.5, please?
[/quote]

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 12:49 AM »
I'll test this tomorrow and post my setup! Hope the bug can be fixed!
N64 PAL Games Collection: 204/243
N64 PAL Demo Collection: 1/1
N64 Region Free NTSC Games: 1
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modded UltraCIC II
SD2SNES Rev. F modded Rev. H

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 03:58 PM »
2, I believe im using the correct rom, and im using exdelta ui if that makes a difference

As long as you see the boot up sequence of the game (a 2D train moving right to left and back) then the game was patched correctly.

Offline RichK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Works fine here, v2.5. Now I just have to buy the original controller and a VRU! :-)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 01:48 PM »
Works fine here, v2.5. Now I just have to buy the original controller and a VRU! :-)

If you do buy a VRU, remember that it has to be the American version, which is the only one that works with this translation.

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 04:23 PM »
I just tested it on an RGB modded PAL N64 with my ED64 v2.0 on a Sony BVM CRT monitor. There were no problems and the title screen was visible. Maybe it is not an issue of the translation patch but an issue with the TV similar as with the Neon64 NES emulator.

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Quote from: zoinkity
Turns out this problem is far more interesting than expected. It seems there is a bug in the version 3 firmware, possibly specific to the way CIC 5167 is handled, that's causing unmapped bus addresses to report values from the most recent DMA from cartrom.

Background:
There are two types of ways to read hardware: you can read one word (4 bytes) at a time to a register or you can read a multiple of 2 bytes between hardware and rdram (DMA). They're separate operations. Remember also that flashcarts are different from the maskroms on cartridges. They provide and manage their own interface to their own cartridge space, and there is no guarantee this will match legit maskroms. It's far more likely that it doesn't.

Let's say you try to read a word from a hardware address but there isn't any hardware there to read from. The console's response is repeating the lower halfword of the address twice. For instance:
A5000508 would report 05080508
This is true of any open-bus address. It's also rather important for certain titles that need to detect if hardware is present.
The test from above is used in F-Zero X to check if the 64DD is present. It tests if the value equals 05080508 and if not, proceeds to load whatever disk may be in the drive. It's the only title I know of that hangs if the value is not equal to expected. Similar tests are used for other hardware as well.

The Densha de Go 64 patch includes two hardware tests of this sort. The first is testing if a 64drive is in use and the second if a 64DD is attached. ED64 tests are a little different, exposing the registers and then hiding them again.

Normal results are:
Code: [Select]
B80002EC   ->   02EC02EC
A5000508   ->   05080508

Version 2 Everdrives, version 1 Everdrives (using an alternative OS), and 64drives all respond with expected values. Version 3 Everdrives are reporting something a bit more peculiar:
B80002EC   ->   365A365A
A5000508   ->   00000000

"365A" in ASCII is "6Z", the last halfword of the GameID. The most recent DMA between cart and rdram was reading 32 bytes from cart offset 0x18 to rdram address 800001A0. What this reads differs slightly between builds (the date is embedded), but it's always something similar to this and the first word is always the GameID:
4544365A 0002102B C3DEDDBC ACC3DE47 4F213634 00000000 333707E1 0316112A
Note the first word: "4544365A". Following the open-bus pattern it would source the "365A365A" reported at the word read. They're still being reported like open-bus values, but the values appear to be drawn from previous data, not the provided address.

That specific value isn't important, but the next one is. A5000508 is a joint Status and Command register used by the 64DD. The lower halfword is only nonzero when the device is not present or suffers an error. The upper field, when read, contains bitflags indicating drive state, etc. Writes to it are treated as commands, and when the drive finishes executing them (pretty sure any command...I'll have to test that one day) it triggers a cart interrupt. The exception handler catches that, fiddles with the drive state as necessary for its current mode + command, resets a flag so the drive stops sending the interrupt, and goes on its merry way.

The problem here is that version 3 Everdrives are not reporting the typical open-bus response. Zero is a false-positive for the drive being present and miraculously not having any state or error conditions (MAME uses/used zero; real ones will report 00590000 without a disk at boot, 01590000 with one), and that false-positive means it tries to send a command. It then waits for a callback to hit a message queue indicating the interrupt was received before moving on. Long story short, the title is in a permanent loop waiting for a non-existent drive to send an interrupt.

The 5167 CIC is (or can be?) handled a little differently than other CICs. There's a feature that automatically sets cartridge address space writable, and on reset cartrom will be written back as a file (similar to save files). This is used to retain "disk" data when a 64DD cartridge conversion is in use. The actual function doesn't matter though. What does is that there is known special handling tied to this specific CIC.
Since at least one title that requires the returned values to be correct is, well, correct, it's safe to assume that either this is specific behavior or the title in question has been special-cased. The former seems most likely at this point.

How it can be fixed:
There's three options here.
1) Krikzz fixes it: a firmware patch is released to match normal console behavior. It's the best solution (in case somebody else writes something silly like this in the future) but not necessarily the most practical one.
2) I fix it: ED64 < version 3 pass through normally, and others test if the register equals zero or something. Since a real drive isn't normally set to that (but theoretically could be) in most cases normal behavior will be preserved. Could also HW-swap the values and XOR or something...
3) Both. I don't feel option 2 will severely impact users, but at the same time this is incorrect behavior on the flashcart's part. In either case, I do have to issue another patch to address a typo.

At any rate, I'll probably slide an extra feature or two (hidden or not) into the next patch.

Sharing this post here so Krikzz can see it, basically it's a bug in the way Everdrive 64 v3 handles CIC 5167.
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline skaman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 09:23 AM »
I hope the bug gets fixed.  I ordered the train controller from Japan.

Offline lord_raymon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 10:44 AM »
Xdelta giving me error, I can't patch it :-\