Author Topic: Super FX Devcart 3.0  (Read 9696 times)

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Super FX Devcart 3.0
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:22 PM »
What does it run?  Everything and anything.  4, 8, 16 mbit eproms.  The superfx chip is the gsu-2-sp1.  I installed a 512k ram chip that overclocks faster than other ram chips and restored the address line needed to get 512k of ram instead of 256k.   There's a four pin header on the back with connectors for 5v, ground, the original 21.4 mhz clock (pin 1 of the cartridge connector) and the clock line that feeds directly into the superfx chip if I ever feel like plugging in an oscillator for overclocking.  This cart plays super fx original roms or romhacks of any size up to 16 mbits at either default or various overclocked speeds.  The save battery has been socketed for easy swapping.  The eprom socket is standard 4 / 8 mbit eprom wiring, the extra pin connector is the extra address line needed for a 16 mbit adapter.

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
Re: Super FX Devcart 3.0
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:32 PM »
That's awesome. I was gonna ask if we could see pics of the other side of the board, but I guess it's in there for good now, huh?

Is this something you put together from a development cart, or from a retail cart? (it's in a Yoshi's Island case, so not sure what's going on there) Also, what's the interface for flashing/overwriting new games? Is there software on the pc side you use for file management and writing to the cart?

Also, slightly off-topic, but is your SNES2 modded for s-video out, or are you just using composite? I'm planning to buy a SFC Jr. next month in Japan and later do the s-video mod. If you've done it before I might pick your brain before I heat up the iron.  ;)

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:36 PM »
That's awesome. I was gonna ask if we could see pics of the other side of the board, but I guess it's in there for good now, huh?

Is this something you put together from a development cart, or from a retail cart? (it's in a Yoshi's Island case, so not sure what's going on there) Also, what's the interface for flashing/overwriting new games? Is there software on the pc side you use for file management and writing to the cart?

Also, slightly off-topic, but is your SNES2 modded for s-video out, or are you just using composite? I'm planning to buy a SFC Jr. next month in Japan and later do the s-video mod. If you've done it before I might pick your brain before I heat up the iron.  ;)

Front of the pcb before it got slapped into a case with header connectors:

Yes this is a standard retail yoshi's island cart.  I traded my gsu 2 copy of yoshi's island to a friend for his gsu-2-sp1 version of the game.  I upgraded the pcb to run anything and everything because I wanted to see if the gsu-2-sp1 does anything special, which it turns out this chip runs just the same.  Since I had already wired up anything and everything I figured I might as well slap it into a nice case since this cart can do it all.

There is no "interface" this thing runs standard uv eproms for the gamedata.  I just use my eprom burner to program a rom when I want to try it.  I could wire up an eprom to flash adapter for flash chips but my burners don't seem to want to work right with a lot of flash chips and I already had these eproms kicking around because of repros I build for people.  Nothing is written "to the cart" there's no chip in the cart, the maskrom connections are soldered into that socket at the back and you plug the game rom into that socket on the back to play it.  You swap the small chip on the back, and this swaps the game.  Swapping the game chip on the back wipes your savedata but this cart is designed just for testing one game at a time.  As long as you don't swap the chip on the back any savedata is retained.  I wasn't trying to make a multicart because each game overclocks to different speeds so there would be no point in doing that unless you want everything running at the same clock speed.

What you're seeing is s-video from my snes.  Here's a comparison of the s-video from my snes jr next to the s-video from a model 1, watch in HD to see the difference more clearly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8TcINkc7eE

Keep in mind my snes jr is heavily modified, I completely bypassed the original video encoder for a better quality encoder that outputs far sharper s-video and also removes the translucent bar from the middle of the screen.  I don't think I even have a guide anymore of how to wire up s-video from the encoder built into the system since by encoder bypass mod generates a far sharper image.  The s-video mod I do is way more complicated and wayyyyy more work, there should be lazy instructions somewhere on my forum.  All the best mods require a lot of work which usually involves completely rebuilding the circuit, which is what I did in this snes jr.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:58 PM by Drakon »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:30 PM »
holy crap, that is brilliant, i got a stunt race fx pcb lying around, thinkin of making a starfox 2 cart :) but then again now i have seen your dev cart i might try it, but will it work with gsu1 drakon?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:33 PM by dvd2vcd »
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:36 PM »
holy crap, that is brilliant, i got a stunt race fx pcb lying around, thinkin of making a starfox 2 cart :) but then again now i have seen your dev cart i might try it, but will it work with gsu1 drakon?

The big difference between the gsu 1 and 2 is the gsu 2 has the ability to run 16 mbit games which are yoshi's island and doom.  All other superfx games are either 4 or 8 mbit and will run fine on a gsu 1.  If you make a devcart out of a gsu 1 you won't be able to play yoshi's island or doom with it.  Out of gsu 2 donors the only ones that came with a battery circuit are yoshi's island and a european game called winter gold.  Winter gold is rare and you'd need to swap the surface mount lockout chip, yoshi's island you need to swap out the 256k ram chip with a 512k ram chip.  Swapping the ram chip on yoshi's island is a major pain it would be easier wiring up a battery saving circuit to a doom pcb.  If I were making another one of these I'd use the doom pcb as a donor and wire up the missing battery circuit.  I made this particular devcart out of yoshi's island because I wanted to test the gsu-2-sp1 and see if there's anything different about it.

Also thanks for the compliment!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:37 PM by Drakon »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Hi Drakon.

Can you please elaborate on how exactly did you wire for 16Mbit ROM like 27c160 or 27c3221?

Thanks!
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.