Author Topic: Mega Everdrive V2 / X7 FPGA Core - FM Sound for Master System Games  (Read 38825 times)

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
Hello everybody,

some people here probably know me as the guy who did the Konami VRC7 FM sound core for the Everdrive N8.

Developing the whole FM core from scratch, just for one single Nintendo Famicom game, certainly seemed to be a bit eccentric, even though, of course being a Konami game, it has a great soundtrack.

My suggestion to krikzz was that I can expand the VRC7 into a full Yamaha YM2413 core.

Because, if there is one console on the planet, which deserves a much better sound chip, it's the highly underrated 8-bit predecessor of the Sega Mega Drive, the Master System. ;)

So, ladies and gentlemen,here is a first test core for the Mega Everdrive, which adds FULL FM SOUND for Master System Games supporting the FM sound expansion. And these are not too few...

Get it here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=40646713805814414368

It still has some smaller inaccuracies, but I think that it might already serve most of the people here well enough.

This update is for the Mega Everdrive v2 / X7. Just replace the /MEGA/MEGA.RBF file with MEGA.RBF from the archive.

Feedback and suggestions are always most welcome.

Enjoy!

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Once again, thank you, you've exceeded all expectations.  Question, does it also work with the ME x3? You only mentioned it works with x7...
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
Wow, very cool addition!  Unfortunately, I think my Mega Everdrive is in fact an X5, in this new and confusing scheme, so it won't work.  I bought it as a V2 in 2015.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Nice!  Hopefully I'll be able to give this a shot this evening!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
Oh, wow! This deserves official integration. Ideally, it could be included with a menu option to turn it on/off. Would that be potentially possible through an OS update? That would make it easier to switch between a Genesis and Nomad (which doesn't have FM support without modding).

Incredible work, Necronomfive! 8)

Unfortunately, I think my Mega Everdrive is in fact an X5, in this new and confusing scheme, so it won't work.  I bought it as a V2 in 2015.
Nope, you've got an X7 :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:14 PM by SmokeMonster »

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
Great! This is one if not the most needed feature.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing™ inside
    • View Profile
Excellent news, could this work with MegaED X5 - MegaED X3 ?
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
Hello all,

thanks for the positive responses so far!  :)

Let's address some questions:

Question, does it also work with the ME x3? You only mentioned it works with x7...

It should work with all Mega Everdrives which are based on the Mega Everdrive V2 Design.

Meaning:

- Altera Cyclone II EP2C5 FPGA
- Using PSRAM for memory storage

Oh, wow! This deserves official integration.

I gave krikzz permission to use this core for official Everdrive X7 / V2 updates. So from now on, it will be a permanent addition to the Mega Everdrive V2 / X7 feature set.

Ideally, it could be included with a menu option to turn it on/off. Would that be potentially possible through an OS update? That would make it easier to switch between a Genesis and Nomad (which doesn't have FM support without modding).

Not only can the YM2413 be switched on/off, but the new FPGA core also implements SMS Bios support.
So the Mega Drive can finally boot-up like a real Master System, which might also help with certain compatibility issues.

To enable both features, krikzz needs to implement the necessary functionality in the OS.

BR,

Necronomfive

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
That's music to my ears. You just made my year.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
EDIT: I just noticed the X3/X5 use a different FPGA :(
http://www.latticesemi.com/iCE40

This is great news!! but I'm bummed I upgraded to MEGA X5. I never thought we'd get SMS FM since it's been requested so many years. I wish it was possible to patch MEGA X3/X5, even if it meant soldering JTAG adapter.

I compared the stock RBF files X5/X7 and they're identical. So wouldn't it just require getting the firmware onto X5 core manually with same file on SD?

Those RBF files used only by v2/X7. X3 and X5 does not have enough FPGA resources for FM core and they even don't have audio outputs, so, this update possible only for v2/x7 users.

Offline keropi

• View Profile
Re: Mega Everdrive V2 / X7 FPGA Core - FM Sound for Master System Games
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 01:24 AM »
what about the original Mega-ED? is it supported?

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 03:37 AM »
Is it possible to implement the sms bios support into x3 and x5 Mega Everdrives?

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 04:35 AM »
It's incredibly awesome that someone has finally done this after all these years of fading hope and speculation. Is there any chance of getting this running on the Mega ED V1's FPGA?

Much kudos to you, sir.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 05:49 AM »
Yup, works great on my X7/V2! 

Offline goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 06:12 AM »
Terrific news! I don't have the right hardware to support this right now since my EverDrive is an original EverDrive-MD, but it's a good reason to upgrade in the future. I have a Master System and an FM upgrade board, but have never gotten around to installing it...
Have EverDrives: N8 (Famicom), Master ED, Turbo ED, ED MD, Super ED, ED 64, ED-GB, ED-GG, ED-GBA X5

Other flashcarts & multicarts: Harmony (Atari 2600), Cuttle Cart 3 (Intellivision), 233-in-1 (Odyssey^2), 72-in-1 (Vectrex), LynxSD (Atari Lynx), SD2SNES