Author Topic: Street Fighter Alpha 2 - SDD1 with files folders decompressed  (Read 17512 times)

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
Re: Street Fighter Alpha 2 - SDD1 with files folders decompressed
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 02:21 PM »
I looked at the patch and it isn't a real patch to make the game itself use decompressed graphics but rather the emulator. It contains directives for canoe-shvc to supply decompressed information from the extended ROM area instead of decompressing the data itself. The start of each compressed data block in the ROM is patched with "SDD1"+a 32-bit offset into the pre-decompressed graphics block.
So this works very much like the early decompressed graphics packs used by emulators before actual S-DD1 decompression was figured out. Sadly it isn't anything that can run on actual SNES hardware.

However using the information from the IPS patch + decompressed graphics pack it might be easier to hack the ROM to use the decompressed assets simply by pointing the DMA source address to the address referenced by the "SDD1 chunk" instead of the original ROM address.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:24 PM by ikari_01 »

Offline ka55

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 04:12 PM »
Thanks ikari for the information.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 09:45 PM »
Any progress on this?
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 11:08 PM »
I never said I'd do the ROM hack, I just outlined how it could be done ;)

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 07:06 PM »
It would be cool if someone would tackle this, then all we would need is SA-1 support and wouldn't need built in SDD-1 support.

Offline fandangos

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 12:41 AM »
Ok, found that people already did this for the game to be playable in the 3DS VC and the snes classic mini.

You need a little bit of google to rescue old links but this is the read me

Files to help convert a Street Fighter Alpha 2 ROM to a sfrom format, for the SNES Classic. - DarkAkuma

---------------

Apply the IPS patches to a US copy of Street Fighter Alpha 2 ROM with a CRC of "9C59DDFF".

Main Contents:

WUP-JCGE-SPC.ips    : Use if you want to use normal SNES audio.
   WUP-JCGE-PCM.ips   : Use if you want to use PCM audio.
   pcm1.bin      : The pcm audio data for the optional patch.
   pcm2.bin      : The pcm audio data for the optional patch.
   gfx.bin         : The decompressed graphics data.

Extra:

To manually make your own sfrom from a smc I have included a couple batch files.

make_sfrom_spc.bat   : Use if you want to make the sfrom yourself after applying the SPC patch.
      make_sfrom_pcm.bat   : Use if you want to make the sfrom yourself after applying the PCM patch.

Just drag the patched smc onto the appropriate batch file and it will make a sfrom in the same directory.

pcm720
   r/minisnes community

So I tried applying the patch and using the gfx.bin and black screen.
Tried getting the decompressed graphics from the first post, replacing the file name for gfx.bin and black screen.

The files you need are WUP-JCGE.zip and lunar ips patcher.
I'm starting to think this isn't hard at all for people with the right skills.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:20 AM by fandangos »

Offline fandangos

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 02:25 AM »
Ok I was looking into the Star Ocean hack and trying to figure it out. I believe most of the things I'm going to say here is kind of retarded for coders but.. maybe it's worth something.
Basically the decompressed GFX is entirely into the final 12mbit rom.
It starts at 00090200 and ends at 0046DDf0.
Before the game code there's a header that's not present in the original game. Maybe something saying to load the GFX data along the rom?

And looking at the DarkAkuma's hack there are 6 or 8 different points in relation to the original rom, all those different points say SSD1.
So I guess it's just a matter of ctrl C and ctrl V to make this work.

Maybe this may sound really retarded on my end and I really would like someone to jump into this to at least point out if I'm guessing it wrong but..
I guess that you need to get the GFX data, get those SSD1 changed bits on the patched SFC file made by DarkAkuma and place the part of the GFX data there.

What part, to what part I have no idea. But looking at the Star Ocean hack it's just a copy and paste hack as far as my very limited knowledge can see.

Offline fandangos

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 04:05 PM »
Just wanted to give people some update on this:

I talked to DarkAkuma on Reddit and he pointed out to me that his patch will never work on real hardware, just confirming what Ikari pointed out earlier.
EDITED because I understood it wrong. DarkAkuma only tried to look into Nevtskis hack to understand how he did it. I'm sorry if this led to any confusion for anyone reading this.

The incompatibility lies in the format nintendo emulators uses and real hardware differences.
Those plain text SDD1 strings in the ROM are actually SDA pointers which the emulator expect to see but not the real hardware, since SDA pointers refer to external files which again a emulator can use and not a real hardware.

In the end, maybe, in the future he might actually look into this again.
This is just a conversation I had with him, no promises or anything, just a friendly chat so if anyone with the right skills feels like jumping into SFA2 decompressed files, that would be sweet.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:24 PM by fandangos »

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Thanks a lot for your dedication fandangos, I really wished I could help but my tech skillls in this field are slim to none. I tried contacting neviksti around 3-4 years ago to inquire how he did his Star Ocean S-DD1 hack, sadly he never replied. :-\

Offline ErivandoXP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Thanks a lot for your dedication fandangos, I really wished I could help but my tech skillls in this field are slim to none. I tried contacting neviksti around 3-4 years ago to inquire how he did his Star Ocean S-DD1 hack, sadly he never replied. :-\

I think the fastest way would be with neviksti, but let's hope someone talented and timely will get it.

(I bought SF Zero 2, I can wait long)

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 08:54 PM »
I'm looking into this myself, thanks to the person who posted the files as one of the links still works (the dropbox one is the only link that is still working).  I downloaded the files.  Unfortunately I have very limited ASM knowledge so it will take me a long time to learn how to do this.

I found this, too.  http://zork.net/~zen/misc/roms/star_ocean/  Star Ocean with graphics pack.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:04 PM by rocketblast »

Offline ErivandoXP

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 11:12 PM »
Mega link still working.

I bought SFZ2, but would appreciate the SFA2 SDD-1 Hack. I'm still hoping haha

Offline ErivandoXP

• View Profile
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:12 AM by ErivandoXP »