Author Topic: Issues with TED V2.5 and CD Unit  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Reynold1

• View Profile
Issues with TED V2.5 and CD Unit
« on: August 22, 2017, 04:46 PM »
I just recently got my TED v2.5 in and I love it! However, when I am attached to the Turbo CD unit, the TED has functionality issues with games freezing after a minute or so or the graphics messing up and glitching when playing a CD based game. I am using all original OEM power adapters for the TG16 and Turbo CD unit. Has anyone had this issue before?Is it a software update I need?  I assume it is a power consumption issue? I would love to not have to keep removing my Turbo CD every time I want to use the TED. I am also using the newest Everdrive Pack v3.7 from Smokemonster if that helps.

Offline Atse

• View Profile
Re: Issues with TED V2.5 and CD Unit
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:49 AM »
You need a patched version of the System Card bios, otherwise it wont work.
I belive there is a conflict between memory in the PCE and in the TED that makes it unstable/unsafe.

More info here: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

Smokemonsters rompack includes the right versions for JP and US versions (region version doesnt matter really)

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:15 AM »
You need to buy a Japanese Super System 3.0 card in order to play everything (except Arcade Card games, but they are locked to JP region).

Even with the patched TED bioses, you can't use Super System card bioses on a PCE-CD or TurboCD via the EverDrive. You can only do that with Duos and Super CD-ROM2s since they have the necessary extra onboard CD ram.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:59 PM »
If that was the problem, the game wouldn't even start.

I think it's a power issue. Measure your power adapter.

Nevermind, I wasn't thinking. SmokeMonster is right, if you run the BIOS from the TED without the required RAM the game would be fooled and start despite RAM not being enough, and the game could crash when it runs out of RAM.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 07:27 PM by nuu »

Offline leodoidaum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 06:54 PM »
I have a PC Engine DUO and a TED 2.5v, however, I played few CD games (only the ones I own) and I would like to play Gates of Thunder and Winds of Thunder, is there a possibility that I can play these games? which bios do i need? could someone give me the link to download everything that is needed to run these games? Can this damage my PCE Duo?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 07:23 PM »
The TED is only for Hucards, you don't need it for CD games. If you have a Duo you can already play those games without any system cards at all since it has the Super CD BIOS and RAM built in.

You just needs to be careful in case you want to run a BIOS from your TED. Don't run the clean Super System Card BIOS rom from your TED or there is potential damage due to an incompatibility of the TED and the BIOS. You need the patched version linked above in that case.

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 08:49 PM »
You need to buy a Japanese Super System 3.0 card in order to play everything (except Arcade Card games, but they are locked to JP region).

Even with the patched TED bioses, you can't use Super System card bioses on a PCE-CD or TurboCD via the EverDrive. You can only do that with Duos and Super CD-ROM2s since they have the necessary extra onboard CD ram.

Just want to clear something up guys.

I recently acquired the PC Engine Core Grafx and the "Briefcase" Interface Unit + CD-ROM2 system, am i correct in thinking I can use my Turbo Everdrive 2.5 (as it has 4mb ram) and the patched Super System Card 3.0 BIOS to play all CD-ROM Games (just not the arcade card ones)?

Everything appears to be working correctly during my testing using this configuration but just wanted to confirm this is correct as I can then sell my Super System Card v3.0 as I should no longer require it.

Is my thinking correct or have I missed something because Smokemonster's post here seems to suggest that isn't possible?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 10:33 PM »
No that's an incorrect assumption, SmokeMonster is correct. The TED has 4MB RAM but I don't think it's in the same place as where the Super System Card has its 192kB RAM which the Super CD games will try to access, and fail doing so.

So keep your Super System Card v3.0.

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 03:06 AM »
No that's an incorrect assumption, SmokeMonster is correct. The TED has 4MB RAM but I don't think it's in the same place as where the Super System Card has its 192kB RAM which the Super CD games will try to access, and fail doing so.

So keep your Super System Card v3.0.

Ok but as far as I can tell all Super CD-ROM games I chuck at it are working fine without crashing and I also found this little nugget of info on this post from elmer the author of the patch: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.msg34306#msg34306

"As a side-effect, it also means that translation teams and homebrew programmers have a full 512KB of RAM to use.

The other side-effect is that it means that Turbo Grafx CDROM and PCE Briefcase owners can use the TED2 instead of buying/using a Super System Card"

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Huh this is the first time I read that. In that case I guess you can sell the Super System Card. As long as you always use the patched versions of the Super CD BIOS, which is the only versions you should use anyway to avoid damage. Unless you use elmer's OS which automatically patches the Super CD BIOS.

Of course the patched BIOS could potentially have problems with some games, like the English unpatched BIOS do, but there is no evidence that it does.

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 08:43 PM »
Ok but as far as I can tell all Super CD-ROM games I chuck at it are working fine without crashing and I also found this little nugget of info on this post from elmer the author of the patch: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.msg34306#msg34306

"As a side-effect, it also means that translation teams and homebrew programmers have a full 512KB of RAM to use.

The other side-effect is that it means that Turbo Grafx CDROM and PCE Briefcase owners can use the TED2 instead of buying/using a Super System Card"

Yep, that's correct, the TED2 will happily act as the extra 192KB of Super System Card RAM ... in fact you need to run the patched BIOS that was released years ago so that the TED2 doesn't cause problems on a DUO/SuperCD.

Or if you run my TEOS replacement for the TED2, then you can run an un-patched BIOS, and TEOS will automatically patch it to work safely.

There is still the fact that you're best off running the Japanese version of the Super System Card BIOS on your TED2, because some games aren't compatible with the US version of the BIOS.

Both Gate of Thunder and Dragon Slayer 2 have issues when running with the BIOS in RAM on the TED2, but both games can be patched to fix this.

The patched BIOS that I released includes the fix for Gate of Thunder, but not for Dragon Slayer 2.

The patching that TEOS does automatically includes the fix for both games.

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 11:18 PM »

Yep, that's correct, the TED2 will happily act as the extra 192KB of Super System Card RAM ... in fact you need to run the patched BIOS that was released years ago so that the TED2 doesn't cause problems on a DUO/SuperCD.

Or if you run my TEOS replacement for the TED2, then you can run an un-patched BIOS, and TEOS will automatically patch it to work safely.

There is still the fact that you're best off running the Japanese version of the Super System Card BIOS on your TED2, because some games aren't compatible with the US version of the BIOS.

Both Gate of Thunder and Dragon Slayer 2 have issues when running with the BIOS in RAM on the TED2, but both games can be patched to fix this.

The patched BIOS that I released includes the fix for Gate of Thunder, but not for Dragon Slayer 2.

The patching that TEOS does automatically includes the fix for both games.

Thanks for confirming Elmer! TEOS really is an awesome solution.

I feel like there needs to be a sticky or something for this info though as being a newb to the TED I really had to search around to know for sure if this was the case and was lucky to stumble across the download for TEOS although I understand it is still in beta though and maybe not officially "supported" by Krikzz.

Thanks again for this and hopefully this info will help others looking for the same info.

Now to play some Rondo of Blood!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 11:19 PM by flex »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 07:11 PM »
I agree it should be a sticky. If you ask one of the mods I think they will let you. They generally support improvements to their products made by users.