Author Topic: Goldfinger 64 has been released!!!!  (Read 46796 times)

Offline Trevor

• Goldfinger64 Dev Location:UK
  • Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
Re: Goldfinger 64 has been released!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 10:51 PM »

Hey Trevor, what website did you use to print the box?

I didn't. I made myself.

Trev

Offline G-Rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 01:43 AM »
Please upload a link for the rom patched , thanks :)

I've just sent you a pm.

Could I get a pm too? :)

EDIT: Never mind. I got it to work. I usually just use Delta Patcher for my Goldeneye ROM hacks, but for some reason I couldn't get any sound to play after the main menu. I went back and used the Goldeneye Editor program and it works just fine now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:32 PM by G-Rabbit »

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Hello, i have Color issues with my PAL N64 and Everdrive64 v2 . Is it possible to make a PAL Version or to convert the rom? Paladin didn't work.

Offline clubretrogaming

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 04:21 PM »
Thank you very much Kerr for this great tutorial.
Do you mind if I share it on my blog (Mentionning you and this page of course) ? -> website is http://club-retrogaming.fr

All I need now is to get an Everdrive to play this game !

Is there other great fan based created games on Nintendo 64 that you guys recommend ?

Thank you in advance

Finally, after years in the making, the Goldeneye fan-made mod Goldfinger 64 has been released!

There's a preview video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aJZgB8j3Gw

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 02:34 PM »
Hello, i have Color issues with my PAL N64 and Everdrive64 v2 . Is it possible to make a PAL Version or to convert the rom? Paladin didn't work.

It does sound like the problem is with your TV, as some PAL TVs can't display the N64's NTSC (or PAL 60, whatever it is) output properly. Try other NTSC roms, such as Sin and Punishment, Harvest Moon 64, and the NTSC versions of other roms, and if it turns out that your TV can display PAL games fine, but not NTSC then you *might* be able to fix this with a different connection from your PAL N64 to your PAL TV, I don't know (i.e. try SCART, or Red/White/Yelllow leads, etc). If not, then unless you get a PAL version of Goldfinger 64 then you're probably stuck with the problem until you buy a new TV.

It is ridiculous that no PAL TV (that I've seen) mentions whether or not it's compatible with NTSC/PAL 60. The next time I buy a TV, I'm going to have to take my N64 into the shop and see if the TV I'm interested in will play non-PAL N64 games.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Thank you very much Kerr for this great tutorial.
Do you mind if I share it on my blog (Mentionning you and this page of course) ? -> website is http://club-retrogaming.fr

Of course, please be my guest.

All I need now is to get an Everdrive to play this game !

Is there other great fan based created games on Nintendo 64 that you guys recommend ?

Thank you in advance

Unfortunately, there's no central internet site for N64 releases (or if there is, I've never found it), so it's difficult to learn of every new hack, protoype, etc that gets released (if you ever learn of any releases that aren't mentioned on this forum, please post about them). I've listed all of the N64 compatible mods, hacks and prototypes that I know of in the thread:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6134.msg47836

aside from some that I've not yet tried that are available from:

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/

And aside from Goldfinger 64, the only total conversion that I know of is F-Zero X Climax, which is apparently a very close approximation of the GBA game F-Zero Climax.

There's also the brilliant Goldeneye X, which may or may not be a total conversion, depending on your point of view - it aims to bring Goldeneye into the Perfect Dark engine, and so give Goldeneye the improvements of the PD engine, such as in-game multiplayer bots (computer controlled enemies), weather effects, better A.I. for NPCs, better drawing distance, etc. It's really good, and as of the current release (v0.5e) the multiplayer is more or less complete, and has all of the Goldeneye weapons, options, levels (all eleven original multiplayer levels, plus ten more levels, some new, some refined), etc (plus unlike in the real Goldeneye, you can play any map with any number of players). The multiplayer levels included are:

Original Goldeneye Levels
-------- ---------------------------

Temple
Complex
Caves
Library
Basement
Stack
Facility
Bunker
Archives
Caverns
Egyptian

Bonus Levels
------------------

Fac Backzone (the part of Facility that is in the single player but wasn't included in the multiplayer version of the map)
Frigate
Archives 1F!
(sort of a remix of the Archives multiplayer level, larger and less closed off)
Streets!
Train
Cradle
Aztec
Citadel
(This was an unfinished multiplayer map that Rare left in the Goldeneye code. It's been fixed up and finished, and is fun to play)
Labyrinth (from The World is Not Enough)
Icicle Pyramid! (from Diddy Kong Racing!)

The single player mode is still far from complete. Most levels are present, but lack any enemies or objectives, and so all you can do is walk around,looking at the scenery. Two levels are fairly complete, with objectives and enemies and everything, but a couple of other levels have faulty clipping (so you can walk through walls or fall through non-existent holes, etc). But it's nice to wander through the levels (and play the two fairly finished
levels), and see how it's going to be when it's finished. And when it's completed, you'll be able to play through the Goldeneye single player campaign with a friend, in co-op mode!

But the multiplayer mode alone is fantastic, *well* worth playing for any first person shooter fan. I bought an Everdrive 64 just to play it on my N64, because current N64 emulators are still so unreliable or just don't 'feel' right.

Actually, there are other N64 total conversions/new games, in the form of large scale hacks of Super Mario 64, some of which apparently really change the game into practically a new game. The problem is, most of these hacks won't work on a real N64, sadly. For more information, see:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5489.msg46127#msg46127

but basically (copied and pasted from the above link):

N64 emulation has always been inaccurate (for some strange reason, you can emulate a Gamecube more accurately than you can an N64, at the moment!) and so when the Super Mario 64 editor was written it was only tested on emulators, and worked OK. At the time, running the editor on a real N64 wasn't possible for the author of the editor, as it would have needed an expensive and hard to find CD-based 'back up' device. And people used the SM64 editor to create game hacks, that worked fine on emulators.

Then when people tried to play the hacks on real N64s they failed. Turns out the emulators allowed certain things that the real N64 would crash over. So when you run the hacks on an N64 then it just crashes (the problem isn't down to the Everdrive 64, it's the N64 itself that can't run the hacks. Plus some hacks do more than a real N64 could do anyway, having more detail on screen, or larger worlds, etc.

Anyway, it would be possible to alter the SM64 editor so that it produces hacks that work on a real N64, but apparently the person who has the source code for the editor won't do it, as he doesn't think it's worthwhile. And fixing individual hacks to work would require a lot of work from someone with a fair bit of N64-related technical skill.

There's a great, but sadly no longer maintained, compatibility list at:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6046.0

listing some Super Mario 64 hacks that do work on a real N64, but these mostly seem to be minor graphical hacks.

There are also some hacks for the two N64 The Legend of Zelda games, but again, they mostly only work on emulators. Three that do work, with patches, for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, are Voyager, Ruinous Shards, and Petrie's Challenge (go to http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5281.0 for the patches).

Offline Freezypops

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 02:16 AM »
Could I get a pm too, please?

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 05:36 AM »
Emuparadise keeps a rom pack for the Everdrive 64, and it includes hacks, homebrews, things like that, for N64.

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 11:47 AM »

It does sound like the problem is with your TV, as some PAL TVs can't display the N64's NTSC (or PAL 60, whatever it is) output properly. Try other NTSC roms, such as Sin and Punishment, Harvest Moon 64, and the NTSC versions of other roms, and if it turns out that your TV can display PAL games fine, but not NTSC then you *might* be able to fix this with a different connection from your PAL N64 to your PAL TV, I don't know (i.e. try SCART, or Red/White/Yelllow leads, etc). If not, then unless you get a PAL version of Goldfinger 64 then you're probably stuck with the problem until you buy a new TV.

It is ridiculous that no PAL TV (that I've seen) mentions whether or not it's compatible with NTSC/PAL 60. The next time I buy a TV, I'm going to have to take my N64 into the shop and see if the TV I'm interested in will play non-PAL N64 games.

Hello,
my TV is compatible for NTSC Region consoles, normal NTSC games work without graphic glitches. Only hacks, even Perfect Dark Golden Eye X Hack has graphic glitches. I ordered a NTSC Jap N64, maybe this will solve the problem. I will let you know.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Could I get a pm too, please?

Just sent.

Hello,
my TV is compatible for NTSC Region consoles, normal NTSC games work without graphic glitches. Only hacks, even Perfect Dark Golden Eye X Hack has graphic glitches. I ordered a NTSC Jap N64, maybe this will solve the problem. I will let you know.

It's strange that only hacks seem to have the problem. Hopefully the Japanese  N64 will fix the problem, but if not, then post at:

https://assemblergames.com/forums/repair-restoration-conservation-and-preservation.78/

detailing everything about the problem, as they have some really knowledgeable people on there.

Good luck!

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 07:04 PM »

Hey Kerr Avon, thank you for your posts! They're always help the people! You're right, it depends on the TV, my last two TVs supporter the PAL60 format! The old one was an Grundig 50vle920bl and the new one is a Toshiba 55l3663da. Both hadn't problems with the PAL60 format. But I have to say that I'm using an RGB modded French N64 console.

Thank you, greetings!
N64 PAL Games Collection: 204/243
N64 PAL Demo Collection: 1/1
N64 Region Free NTSC Games: 1
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modded UltraCIC II
SD2SNES Rev. F modded Rev. H

Offline jpatz100

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 06:47 AM »
I downloaded the proper ROM files and tested them. I tried almost everything but can't get the patched ROM to run. Can someone please pm me a link to  download the patched ROM? Thanks

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 02:47 PM »
I downloaded the proper ROM files and tested them. I tried almost everything but can't get the patched ROM to run. Can someone please pm me a link to  download the patched ROM? Thanks

I've just sent you a pm.

Offline BPC 77

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Can someone please pm me the patched rom too

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Can someone please pm me the patched rom too

pm sent.