Author Topic: MMC3 IRQ fluctuations on N8 Everdrive  (Read 3057 times)

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
MMC3 IRQ fluctuations on N8 Everdrive
« on: October 29, 2017, 01:28 AM »
I keep getting fluctuations in MMC3 games that have split screens. This is happening to me with Super Mario Bros. 3, and Double Dragon II.

This has never happened with me on my powerpak, and it's only happening on this everdrive.

I'm using an official NES frontloader, original power supply. And I have the original cartridges of the games I've mentioned here, and I have zero issues.

What do I do? Thanks!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: MMC3 IRQ fluctuations on N8 Everdrive
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 12:09 PM »
What kind of fluctuations? You are using the latest Everdrive OS?

Check so there's no resin or anything on the cartridge pins of your Everdrive.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:11 PM by nuu »

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Fluctuations, meaning the bottom split screen jumps up and down. The IRQ scanline, that creates the split, to allow with different name tables on one screen, the bottom portion which usually the info bar for whichever game, fluctuates/jumps. I have the gray cartridge N8 Everdrive, I believe it's using the latest bios. The cartridge pins & system connector are clean. I know it's not my system, because I took out the Everdrive and used my CF Powerpak, and my MMC3 games perfectly fine.

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 09:14 PM »
Well, I just went to the downloads section for the N8, viewed the changeling for v16, it says there were "MMC3 irq improvements" so I obtained the previous v15 OS, installed that onto my SD card, and now every MMC3 that I've personally tried, the irq's work perfectly fine.

Idk what those supposed changes were in v16, but it doesn't work with my cartridge.

Problem solved.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:25 PM by infidelity »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Where did you see the problem in Double Dragon II?  I can't recreate this in the first mission, anyway.  I have had some weird mapper quirks, though, when upgrading to a new version of the OS.  In fact, I had to reformat and copy twice to get it to "take" with OS v16, for whatever reason.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 05:09 AM »
The MMC3 IRQ counter improvements in OS v16 fix issues in Asmik-kun Land, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Jurassic Park, Little Ninja Brothers and probably a few other games. 
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:14 PM »
Where did you see the problem in Double Dragon II?  I can't recreate this in the first mission, anyway.  I have had some weird mapper quirks, though, when upgrading to a new version of the OS.  In fact, I had to reformat and copy twice to get it to "take" with OS v16, for whatever reason.

It was during any mission. Any MMC3 game producing an irq, that split would fluctuate/shake violently. But when I reverted to the v15 OS, every MMC3 game that I've played all my life, worked 100% perfectly.