Author Topic: Mega Everdrive V2 - System Type: Console region  (Read 2719 times)

Offline miknet

• View Profile
Mega Everdrive V2 - System Type: Console region
« on: February 07, 2018, 10:19 PM »
Hi,

This weekend I bought a beautiful Japanese Megadrive in a French video game market.
Today I try it with my mega everdrive v2.
In the menu "system information" and "system type" I have this: EU PAL 50.  :o
I have a serious doubt about the origin of my megadrive. :(
So I tried a RGB PAL cable, I only have the sound, exactly like a Japanese megadrive.
Do you have an idea ?
Where does the mega everdrive check the region of the console?

Best Regards,

Mikaƫl
SD2SNES - MegaEverdrive V2

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Everdrive V2 - System Type: Console region
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 04:59 AM »
Perhaps your Megadrive is a chinese clone? I have seen some clones having the Japanese MD shell.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline miknet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Hi FeverDrive,

Thanks for your reply.
After opening the console to check, this is a true Japanese megadrive.
However, this one has been converted to pal-50hz.
In the early 90s before megadrive console was available in France, importers modified them for compatibility with French TVs :

http://www.gamopat-forum.com/t96050-reparer-une-mega-drive-jap-switchee-en-50hz-jumpers-perces

:'(

SD2SNES - MegaEverdrive V2

Offline J-E

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 03:44 PM »
and be aware that the megadrive sold somewhere between Bangkok and Jakarta were PAL 50hz (like the ones sold in Europe except France) MB in japanese case and box( well the box is the japanese style written in thai/english/malay).

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 03:06 AM »
Hi FeverDrive,

Thanks for your reply.
After opening the console to check, this is a true Japanese megadrive.
However, this one has been converted to pal-50hz.
In the early 90s before megadrive console was available in France, importers modified them for compatibility with French TVs :

http://www.gamopat-forum.com/t96050-reparer-une-mega-drive-jap-switchee-en-50hz-jumpers-perces

:'(

Can you remove the mod?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Should be happy that it's running in 50Hz. Jeez it's not the end of the world.

I've never heard of anyone modding a Japanese NTSC 60Hz Mega Drive to run in PAL 50Hz. I'm betting it's an Asian PAL Mega Drive from Asia. As much as I love 50Hz, no one on this entire planet would ever mod a Mega Drive for PAL 50Hz. A European Mega Drive to run in 60Hz, yeah i've heard of that but not the other way round.

Offline Flurm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 01:16 AM »
I've never heard of anyone modding a Japanese NTSC 60Hz Mega Drive to run in PAL 50Hz. I'm betting it's an Asian PAL Mega Drive from Asia. As much as I love 50Hz, no one on this entire planet would ever mod a Mega Drive for PAL 50Hz. A European Mega Drive to run in 60Hz, yeah i've heard of that but not the other way round.

In the late 80s/early 90s it was common in the UK (and probably elsewhere in Europe) for importers offering Jap systems such as MD/PCE/SFC to sell 2 versions or each.
They were usually advertised in magazines as "SCART" for un-modified consoles or "PAL" which were converted to run on PAL TVs through RF/composite in colour @ 50hz. luckily I got a 60hz un-modded version as I had a monitor.  :)

About a year ago when I got back into old consoles I had a rummage around my parents' attic/cellar and found a Super Famicom - 1990 SVHC-CPU-01 which displayed @ 50hz (not my original SFC as I got rid of it in the mid 90's, no idea where this one came from).

I opened it to find an small PCB and a load of wires attached everywhere. After removing it and bridging a cut ground trace it now works fine at 60hz.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:41 AM by Flurm »