Author Topic: cannot load master system games on VA6 system  (Read 3863 times)

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
cannot load master system games on VA6 system
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:38 PM »
Are there Genesis Model 1's that do not possess backwards compatibility? My X7 will not run ANY master system roms. It used to on my old VA2.

I'm starting to wonder if it's because of the TMSS? Because I own a VA6, and a VA7, both with TMSS, and I'm unable to load any master system games.

My X7 loads Genesis & 32x games fine. (And no I'm not trying to run sms with the 32x connected)

I can't get a straight answer on this from anyone, but I'm starting to draw my own conclusion that systems with the TMSS do not allow playback of master system games.

Can anyone please shed any light on this situation? Thank you!

Offline Beefcurtainz69

• View Profile
Re: cannot load master system games on VA6 system
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Damn I own a VA3 and a VA6 with a ed X7 and have only tried MS games on one of them and they worked but can’t remember which genny it was. Will have to try both when I get back from out of town. I didn’t try a lot of them but I know sonic played for sure. Curious to hear what you find out about this.

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:08 AM »
If you are able to double check, definitely let me know what result you get please. So far you are the only one I've found on the Internet, that has both the X7 & the same Genesis as mine.

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Something must be wrong with your VA6 Genesis or your Mega Ever Drive X7 is faulty, because I can remember my original Mega Drive from Christmas 1993 came bundled with Sonic 1 & 2 and it was a PAL VA6 SEGA Mega Drive model 1 console that had the TMSS thing, it could play Master System games just fine when using the Master System adapter. You would have to do alot of blowing on the cartridges at first to get them going but it always booted after a few tries no matter what game it was. I also have a model 2 PAL Mega Drive upstairs in bedroom and that too has the TMSS and plays Master System games just fine.

PAL/NTSC makes no difference when it comes to Master System compatibility so please don't say it's because I own PAL hardware.

All Mega Drive/Genesis console model 1's and 2's are backward compatible with Master System software as they're built off the Master System hardware. Genesis model 3's and all clone consoles ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with Master System/32X or Mega-CD/Sega-CD.

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:44 PM »
I actually had my MD_X7 repaired, and got it back a few days ago. I even mentioned in the letter I sent there may be issues with sms playback. But I received no notification back that if there was any sms issue with that cart.

I know it wouldn't have to do with my RGB Bypass Board install, because I still get the same result on my stock VA7 TMSS. My VA6, I've completely bypassed the Sony CXA chip from receiving/outputting R,G,B,CSync, my system is strictly using EUROSCART. And again, my stock VA7 still doesn't allow sms usage.

Could it be that it's because I'm using the sms "no-intro" romset?

Is there a hardware mod to fix this issue within the Genesis?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:49 PM by infidelity »

Offline Beefcurtainz69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:28 AM »
Yes I will try both gennys as soon as I get back from my work related trip. Now I am very curious as well lol  and hope I don’t have a Genesis that my X7 won’t work on. I guess you could always throw a few non no-intro roms on there quickly just to check.  Both my VA3 and VA6 are stock using a euro scart cable. Only the VA3 doesn’t have TMSS obviously.

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 08:25 AM »
I actually had my MD_X7 repaired, and got it back a few days ago. I even mentioned in the letter I sent there may be issues with sms playback. But I received no notification back that if there was any sms issue with that cart.

I know it wouldn't have to do with my RGB Bypass Board install, because I still get the same result on my stock VA7 TMSS. My VA6, I've completely bypassed the Sony CXA chip from receiving/outputting R,G,B,CSync, my system is strictly using EUROSCART. And again, my stock VA7 still doesn't allow sms usage.

Could it be that it's because I'm using the sms "no-intro" romset?

Is there a hardware mod to fix this issue within the Genesis?

Ah your VA7 isn't running any Master System games either? Oh crap!

Okay, so obviously by no notification sent back to you implies that the X7 is not responsible we can assume? If you had the Master System power base converter you could solve this problem right now by trying it with a Master System cartridge and seeing if it booted on both boards VA6 and VA7, if not then it would seem that it is hardware related but if it worked on both boards it would prove that the X7 is responsible for the no playback.

I'm convinced it's the X7, why would Sega make later model 1 Genesis consoles not compatible with Master System software? When the first early model 2 VAO's boards were fully compatible.

Incase it's a simple case of bad rom dumps You should try a site called Planet Emulation, it's where I get all my roms from and it has never failed me, no bad rom dumps, no duds and no broken files. Emuparadise and many others are becoming more and more unreliable, not to mention many roms are taken down due to copyright.

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:21 AM »
Thank you for all the replies. So I tried using the "GOODSMS v3.20" instead of my no-intro set. My VA6 still wouldn't play them,  BUT, my VA7 does.... So something must've happened to my VA6 during my modifications.

I'm not sure where to go for the technical questions, as to what could cause the Genesis not to run master system games? I've done the following mods.

1: Bypassed original Sony CXA video chip, with an RGB bypass board, which also has csync running through it.

2: Entire system was recapped with new capacitors from Console5.

3: Nano motherboard installed to allow hard reset of system from controller.

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 05:52 PM »
I think I may know my issue, I did a lot of research this morning. To make a long story short, I believe it deals with the Sony CXA chip. One of the Genesis pins goes to the VDP, and then from there goes to what is known as Vcc, on the Sony CXA. I looked up the Vcc function, and it supplies power. I think in my quest for no jailbars, I clipped the Vcc pin.

I'll check it out when I can, but I have a strong feeling after everything I've searched, that that's the culprit.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 08:06 PM »
Good luck.

Krikzz always says that the Everdrive is not guaranteed to work with modified consoles, by the way you didn't tell us in your first message that you modified your console. :o
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 08:55 PM »
It didn't cross my mind to report about the mod, because my VA2 system was modified, and the everdrive ran Master System games on it. But with my VA6, I took it a step further with heavily disconnecting the Sony cxa chip. So it wasn't until today that I found information, of exactly how the Genesis boots into Master System mode. So that's when I discovered that the Sony cxa chip isn't only for visuals, it also supplies power to boot the Genesis into Master System mode.

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
SOLVED:: cannot load master system games on VA6 system
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 03:20 PM »
After a lot of trial and error, I figured it out. Turns out the 3 capacitors surrounding the Z80 chip, we're the wrong voltage. Idk what made me think to examine there other than the Z80 is what runs the master system. So I swapped the capacitors and I have master system mode back. The BIOS loading works, and the FM audio works too. :-)

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Excellent news  ;D
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL