Author Topic: Implementing GSU Chip (SuperFX) in Verilog  (Read 27287 times)

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
Re: Implementing GSU Chip (SuperFX) in Verilog
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 02:04 AM »
WTF. That can't be far from a working implementation.
Referring to which implementation?

EDIT: As is more than expected since these are incomplete cores, I synthesized both cores and none of the games I tested run. Just to make sure I'm not messing this up, do I just put the fpga_gsu.bit file in the sd2snes folder and that's it, or is there something else I need to do? I'm still expecting zero games to be able to run, but I'd like to know for future testing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:34 AM by iwasaperson »
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 08:38 AM »
Looks like RedGuyyyy is very active in his GSU implementation, but he keeps it "under the table" for a good reason.
I wish him the best of luck making it work.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 02:28 PM »
WTF. That can't be far from a working implementation.

Can you use any of the 2 in SD2Snes?
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 11:58 PM »
RedGuy's specifically. It looks quite elaborate.

do I just put the fpga_gsu.bit file in the sd2snes folder and that's it, or is there something else I need to do?
You also need a firmware that is aware of SuperFX games and will actually attempt to load fpga_gsu.bit into the FPGA. ;) I'm guessing RedGuy's fork would have something like that prepared.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 12:30 AM »
RedGuy's specifically. It looks quite elaborate.

do I just put the fpga_gsu.bit file in the sd2snes folder and that's it, or is there something else I need to do?
You also need a firmware that is aware of SuperFX games and will actually attempt to load fpga_gsu.bit into the FPGA. ;) I'm guessing RedGuy's fork would have something like that prepared.

I want to test the hell out of that,  how would I go about it?
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline redguy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 12:54 AM »
The firmware changes aren't checked in, yet.  It goes off in the weeds almost immediately on star fox so there's not much to see.  It does run some basic self-checking assembly microbenchmarks including ones that test PLOT and RPIX bitmap instructions.

I will start another thread on the topic if it gets to the point where it can run something.  At this point it's hard to tell if it will all fit in the FPGA as currently implemented so I don't want to set expectations too high.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 01:24 AM »
The firmware changes aren't checked in, yet.  It goes off in the weeds almost immediately on star fox so there's not much to see.  It does run some basic self-checking assembly microbenchmarks including ones that test PLOT and RPIX bitmap instructions.

I will start another thread on the topic if it gets to the point where it can run something.  At this point it's hard to tell if it will all fit in the FPGA as currently implemented so I don't want to set expectations too high.

That's really cool sir,  thank you for doing this.

I find it curious that there are 4 guys trying to implement gsu-1 on the SD2Snes and not a single one interested in SA-1, why is there no love for SA-1?

Offline animeloverxX93

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 01:25 AM »
Hey, just registered because I was lurking around for quite some time now.

That's great news!
However, since SA1 is still a thing, doesn't that mean that the SD2SNES will inevitably need to get an FPGA revision at a point?
I'm by no means a programmer, so I have little to no knowledge regarding things like this, but what can be done to (or rather, is necessary) for that to happen, and how feasible would be such an undertaking?

I will refrain from further questions, since I don't want to derail this thread anymore.
Whatever the case, I will be looking forward further support for the SD2SNES and its future implementations. :)

Edit: Oh well, got ninja'd pertaining the SA1.  ;D

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 06:44 AM »
Great  8)
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline jonnnlad

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Holy shit - subscribed!

Gods speed devs!

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Just modified the firmware to accept the GSU FPGA configuration (good thing I know C :P). Still just a black screen on everything (with both cores). I was hoping to see a glitchy mess in Star Fox :(

I know it's reading the FPGA core since GSU games take a bit longer to load (like when loading Cx4 games).

EDIT: Dirt Racer boots, but crashes instantly. DOOM gets to the menu, but crashes when it tries to render anything. Basically whenever the GSU is trying to be used, it crashes (go figure :P)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:20 PM by iwasaperson »
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline ka55

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 10:36 PM »
Just modified the firmware to accept the GSU FPGA configuration (good thing I know C :P). Still just a black screen on everything (with both cores). I was hoping to see a glitchy mess in Star Fox :(

I know it's reading the FPGA core since GSU games take a bit longer to load (like when loading Cx4 games).

EDIT: Dirt Racer boots, but crashes instantly. DOOM gets to the menu, but crashes when it tries to render anything. Basically whenever the GSU is trying to be used, it crashes (go figure :P)

please send this firmware for me to test on my sd2snes.
thanks.

por favor, envie este firmware para eu testar no meu sd2snes.
thanks.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 11:22 PM »
thanks.
There's no use for us users to test this incomplete and non-functioning implementation... let's wait for the developers to actually make something usable first.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline ka55

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 11:29 PM »
thanks.
There's no use for us users to test this incomplete and non-functioning implementation... let's wait for the developers to actually make something usable first.
OK.
Thanks. ;D

Offline PityOnU

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Just a quick update - put a good 3-4 hours into mine today. Cleaned up the organization a bit, renamed files, added comments, etc.

Main ALU and instruction cache can be considered complete and tested (at least for now). Started work on the register bank.

I'm very glad there are others working on this - hopefully it will inspire me to work harder in the spirit of competition!