Author Topic: SD2SNES Issue - Game Bugs/scrolling  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Mannix86

• View Profile
SD2SNES Issue - Game Bugs/scrolling
« on: March 16, 2018, 08:57 AM »
I could not find a post similar to my issue, I apologize if there was.

I just got a new SD2SNES everdrive and set it all up but it won't play games properly. I have a hard time putting it only into words so I've created a video illustrating the issue.

The video of the issue is located here: https://youtu.be/P6rjbGjXB2U

Thanks again for your support.

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES Issue - Game Bugs/scrolling
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Thanks for the detailed video.
It could still be your console :) What the Super Gameboy does is it doesn't really do any scrolling on the SNES. There's a complete Gameboy on the cartridge itself (which then runs the Gameboy Everdrive). Any scrolling happens inside the Super Gameboy itself, it just copies graphics data from the built-in Gameboy to the SNES. The SNES just shows a static screen setup with the tile graphics getting replaced really fast.
The failures you showed on the Mega Man X games are pretty "high level" though. In addition to not scrolling the background, also the sprite positions aren't updated as they would normally need to be to adjust to the moving background.
My first wild guess would be that either the SNES's internal RAM or the sd2snes's internal RAM is faulty.
I have two suggestions for further testing:

1. Can you find and run the "SNES Burn-in Test Cartridge RevD", specifically "5. BURN-IN TEST" and check the result? Please disable the In-game hook in the sd2snes's configuration menu before running the test because it can cause one of the tighter timing tests to fail.
Note: the test switches between interlaced and progressive video modes a number of times. Depending on your screen the picture might disappear briefly while the screen adapts to the new resolution.
I found a youtube video (not made by me) that shows what the full test run should look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6CQ3Lr1do

2. The sd2snes diagnostic firmware should be able to give any clues about a possible sd2snes malfunction: https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff/sd2snes-diagnostics

Offline Mannix86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 04:20 AM »
I appreciate the reply.

1. So I tried a lot of things but I can't change any settings its fully Bugged.  Link to what my setup menu looks like: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/412462952864546840/424411665639931924/IMG_20180317_004003.jpg

2: I also ran @ https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff/sd2snes-diagnostics and the light patterns on my SD2SNES are the "Faulty" description.
"the green LED light up or the yellow+red LEDs light up and nothing else happens (no intermittent LED flashing etc.), "

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 05:10 AM »
If you don't have any other SNES games to test, load up the Game Boy version of Space Invaders on your Super Game Boy, which is the only Super Game Boy enhanced game to load a native SNES game. See if that has any glitches (although I'm not sure if there is scrolling in the game). If so, your console is definitely the issue.

Be sure to choose Arcade mode instead of Super Game Boy mode when starting the game.

It should look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcI4p8ko7Ng

Be sure to watch the intro, as that has both Mode 7 and a scrolling background.

You can compare this on your SD2SNES with the SNES version of Space Invaders (the same game with the same intro).

Also FYI, the SNES Burn In test is a ROM from Nintendo and not something built in to the SD2SNES.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:22 AM by iwasaperson »
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline Mannix86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 01:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I can see we are getting somewhere.

When I try to launch Space Invaders on the Super Game Boy it says it is not designed for my console. So what does that entail for my console, in what manner woould it be my console's fault? I don't use 3rd party consoles or anything .

EDIT: The Super Game Boy 2 doesn't support Game Boy color roms is why I got that, therefore I can not use that as an Example. A select few GBC roms work (the early ones before the clear colored carts released were backwards compatible with both GB and GBC).

EDIT#2: I ran Castlevania Dracula X and the game scrolls, so is it really my hardware? Someone says whoever manufactured this one may have hardwired the device incorrectly (I.E not every communication to each pin/mapper was done correctly, so games that don't use said pins would not be affected).

I am only speculating here and transmitting information from other gamers who have been more than helpful, this is my first everdrive experience
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:16 PM by Mannix86 »

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 10:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I can see we are getting somewhere.

When I try to launch Space Invaders on the Super Game Boy it says it is not designed for my console. So what does that entail for my console, in what manner woould it be my console's fault? I don't use 3rd party consoles or anything .

EDIT: The Super Game Boy 2 doesn't support Game Boy color roms is why I got that, therefore I can not use that as an Example. A select few GBC roms work (the early ones before the clear colored carts released were backwards compatible with both GB and GBC).

EDIT#2: I ran Castlevania Dracula X and the game scrolls, so is it really my hardware? Someone says whoever manufactured this one may have hardwired the device incorrectly (I.E not every communication to each pin/mapper was done correctly, so games that don't use said pins would not be affected).

I am only speculating here and transmitting information from other gamers who have been more than helpful, this is my first everdrive experience

Space Invaders is not a Game Boy Color game. That message is usually related to region lockout or anti-piracy. Are you running a US ROM on a US console? Is Castlevania Dracula X running from the SD2SNES or a real cartridge?

It is also vital that you run the SNES Burn In test to try narrowing down the issue. I cannot link you to a ROM, but it should be easy to find.

Be sure you are sourcing your ROMs from known good sources like No-Intro and not just downloading random ROMs off the internet. I recommend SmokeMonster's EverDrive packs, which are well laid out for use with flash carts. (can't link, but should be relatively easy to find)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:29 PM by iwasaperson »
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline Mannix86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 11:06 PM »
Space invaders Jap and US roms.
Castlevania Dracula X was a US.

It appears that my issue may or may not be that I have unreliable files so just to be sure I will do some research on trusted/common sources of roms confirmed working, and I will update. Willing to try anything at this point.

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 01:39 PM »
1. So I tried a lot of things but I can't change any settings its fully Bugged.  Link to what my setup menu looks like: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/412462952864546840/424411665639931924/IMG_20180317_004003.jpg
Well this can't be caused by a faulty ROM file at least... might be the SNES CPU's internal multiplication engine that's broken - the menu feature uses that to calculate window sizes.
Since you cannot disable the in-game hook via menu, you could edit the sd2snes\config.yml on your SD card, changing "EnableIRQHook: true" to "EnableIRQHook: false". Or you could run the "Burn-In Cartridge" with hooks enabled, but that will sometimes result in a false negative "H/V TIMER" test when running the burn-in test suite.

2: I also ran @ https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff/sd2snes-diagnostics and the light patterns on my SD2SNES are the "Faulty" description.
"the green LED light up or the yellow+red LEDs light up and nothing else happens (no intermittent LED flashing etc.), "
Hm, that's a bit strange considering you can get the normal sd2snes firmware to boot. How long did you wait?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:45 PM by ikari_01 »

Offline Mannix86

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 03:30 PM »
I waited 30 seconds but it stops flickering within seconds. I unfortunately have a busy day so I won't be able to do further tests until another day or two. I've received some instructions to try from Warranty Support as well,  although all things that have been checked/tested already.