Author Topic: Super Mario World glitch on the first boss world 1  (Read 9689 times)

Offline efsd

• View Profile
Super Mario World glitch on the first boss world 1
« on: March 17, 2018, 01:55 AM »
I've got a strange glitch on the first boss of world 1.

When the platform goes up and down at the region that i spotted in circle there is a flickering line with the same texture of the platform that is moving.

I'm running a chinese sd2snes on 0.1.7e firmare, no-intro rom of the game, all hooks turned off. Can anyone confirm if this happens on your sd2snes too?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:59 AM by efsd »

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario World glitch on the first boss world 1
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:04 AM »
It does not happen to me. What revision SNES are you using (look at system information CPU/PPU1/PPU2)? If it is a 1CHIP or Mini, that is a separate revision.

Have you noticed any oddities in any other games? Also what are the results of the SNES Burn-in test to rule out any hardware flaws with your SNES?
Also run a test on the SD2SNES and see if there are any failures (not counting CIC): https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff/sd2snes-diagnostics
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:05 AM by iwasaperson »
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 11:13 AM »
It does not happen to me. What revision SNES are you using (look at system information CPU/PPU1/PPU2)? If it is a 1CHIP or Mini, that is a separate revision.

Have you noticed any oddities in any other games? Also what are the results of the SNES Burn-in test to rule out any hardware flaws with your SNES?
Also run a test on the SD2SNES and see if there are any failures (not counting CIC): https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff/sd2snes-diagnostics

Model Fat
CPU = 3
PPU1 = 1
PPU2 = 2

I don't know if it is 1CHIP.

Offline fille1976

• View Profile

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:29 PM »

Model Fat
CPU = 3
PPU1 = 1
PPU2 = 2

3/1/2 means it can be any model. If you can't open it up, check for the common 1CHIP glitches, like the glitchy bar in Demon's Crest or the lack of shadow in A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol.

It is important to run both the burn in test and the SD2SNES diagnostics in order to rule out any flaws with your hardware, since even with 1CHIP consoles, I am unaware of any compatibility issues with Super Mario World.

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 02:12 AM »

Model Fat
CPU = 3
PPU1 = 1
PPU2 = 2

3/1/2 means it can be any model. If you can't open it up, check for the common 1CHIP glitches, like the glitchy bar in Demon's Crest or the lack of shadow in A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol.

It is important to run both the burn in test and the SD2SNES diagnostics in order to rule out any flaws with your hardware, since even with 1CHIP consoles, I am unaware of any compatibility issues with Super Mario World.

So, i should avoid 1CHIP model as hell, got it. To turn things even worse i think it's a PAL-M model.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:14 AM by efsd »

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 04:44 AM »

So, i should avoid 1CHIP model as hell, got it. To turn things even worse i think it's a PAL-M model.

Thanks.

Actually 1CHIP consoles are very sought after due to them outputting much sharper video in comparison to earlier models and the compatibility issues are very minor. I prefer the older models due to having better audio (specifically the SHVC-CPU-01 [1/1/1 is my main, but I also have a 2/1/3]) and guaranteed 100% compatibility, but I also keep a modded Mini around just in case I want to use it.

It all comes down to personal preference.

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 09:00 PM »

Thanks.

Actually 1CHIP consoles are very sought after due to them outputting much sharper video in comparison to earlier models and the compatibility issues are very minor. I prefer the older models due to having better audio (specifically the SHVC-CPU-01 [1/1/1 is my main, but I also have a 2/1/3]) and guaranteed 100% compatibility, but I also keep a modded Mini around just in case I want to use it.

It all comes down to personal preference.

Did you check the glitch that i stated above on original sd2snes or chinese sd2snes?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:14 PM by efsd »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 09:36 PM »
Sooo, are you playing the US SMW on a Chinese SD2SNES on a PAL console?
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 09:49 PM »
Sooo, are you playing the US SMW on a Chinese SD2SNES on a PAL console?

Yes, but not on a pure PAL console, that's a PAL-M console instead.

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Did you check the glitch that i stated above on original sd2snes or chinese sd2snes?
Original, but it doesn't matter as both should function in identical ways due to the Chinese-made boards being made from the same schematics and PCB layout (Rev. F) which are open source. My consoles are all NTSC, btw.

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 02:39 AM »
Original, but it doesn't matter as both should function in identical ways due to the Chinese-made boards being made from the same schematics and PCB layout (Rev. F) which are open source. My consoles are all NTSC, btw.

Turns out that the glitch happens at random.

I attached the console with RF cable and the glitch didn't appear so i connected the snes back with composite cable and for my surprise the glitch was gone, then i decided to turn the system off and turn on again, removing and inserting the sd2snes again and the glitch did come back, turned the console off and powered it on again and the glitch didn't appear...

I don't know what is happening but i assume that it has to be an issue that ikari_01 should check because it might be a bug in this specific version of sd2snes firmware, currently 0.1.7e.

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 05:06 AM »

I attached the console with RF cable and the glitch didn't appear so i connected the snes back with composite cable and for my surprise the glitch was gone, then i decided to turn the system off and turn on again, removing and inserting the sd2snes again and the glitch did come back, turned the console off and powered it on again and the glitch didn't appear...

I don't know what is happening but i assume that it has to be an issue that ikari_01 should check because it might be a bug in this specific version of sd2snes firmware, currently 0.1.7e.

What's your SNES's serial number (if you can't open it up)? I'm interested to see if this is another 1CHIP bug or not. I'll continue doing testing on my end, but I need to know if I should test on my Mini or one of my 3CHIPs.

Also which video output you use does not matter, as they are all generated from the same RGB signal coming off of PPU2. Just use the highest quality you can (RGB preferred, or S-Video if your TV doesn't have RGB).

And check the hash of the ROM you're using to make sure it's a good dump. It should match one of these: https://superfamicom.org/info/super-mario-world

And be sure you are using the correct region ROM for your console (for PAL-M, you want to use NTSC ROMs, as the console operates at the same 60.098814Hz as an NTSC SNES, just with a different color clock).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:15 AM by iwasaperson »

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 06:39 AM »
It does matter, I had 2 chinese made SD2SNES that didn't work 100% as expected.
It's hit and miss with the chinese made boards unfortunately.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 12:55 AM »

What's your SNES's serial number (if you can't open it up)? I'm interested to see if this is another 1CHIP bug or not. I'll continue doing testing on my end, but I need to know if I should test on my Mini or one of my 3CHIPs.

Also which video output you use does not matter, as they are all generated from the same RGB signal coming off of PPU2. Just use the highest quality you can (RGB preferred, or S-Video if your TV doesn't have RGB).

And check the hash of the ROM you're using to make sure it's a good dump. It should match one of these: https://superfamicom.org/info/super-mario-world

And be sure you are using the correct region ROM for your console (for PAL-M, you want to use NTSC ROMs, as the console operates at the same 60.098814Hz as an NTSC SNES, just with a different color clock).

I couldn't read the serial number because it's already gone away and the only thing that i know it is a SNSM-001 BRA model.

The rom that i'm using is a dump from the no-intro team so i'm positive it is the cleanest rom that we can get, anyway i checked and it matches with the rom information provided by the link that you mentioned above.

I'll check if this glitch appears on SMBW from the Super Mario All Stars + World tonight and i'll post the result here afterwards.