Author Topic: Super Mario World glitch on the first boss world 1  (Read 9694 times)

Offline efsd

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario World glitch on the first boss world 1
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 01:43 AM »
Here is the results:

Super Mario World:
- Glitch happens at random, more os less frequently, or doesn't happen at all during my tests at same spot and intensity.

Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World:
- Glitch doesn't happen at random and hardly even show up BUT it did happen a few tries (one or two times i didn't count) during my tests and if it does happen the glitch is much less noticeable as if it was tweaked by Nintendo. My guess goes to the fact that Nintendo may have fixed certain known glitches from the first release as well it seems that Nintendo has fixed the slowdown on the level before the first castle when you get a star and there are many spikes coming towards you for example.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:51 AM by efsd »

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 04:33 AM »
Did you check the glitch that i stated above on original sd2snes or chinese sd2snes?
Original, but it doesn't matter as both should function in identical ways due to the Chinese-made boards being made from the same schematics and PCB layout (Rev. F) which are open source. My consoles are all NTSC, btw.
It does matter, I had 2 chinese made SD2SNES that didn't work 100% as expected.
It's hit and miss with the chinese made boards unfortunately.

Guess I should have added "if it is fully functional."

I talked at length about the cons of buying Chinese-made SD2SNESs in his other thread, so I didn't feel the need to mention it twice: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7395.0

Here is the results:

Super Mario World:
- Glitch happens at random, more os less frequently, or doesn't happen at all during my tests at same spot and intensity.

Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World:
- Glitch doesn't happen at random and hardly even show up BUT it did happen a few tries (one or two times i didn't count) during my tests and if it does happen the glitch is much less noticeable as if it was tweaked by Nintendo. My guess goes to the fact that Nintendo may have fixed certain known glitches from the first release as well it seems that Nintendo has fixed the slowdown on the level before the first castle when you get a star and there are many spikes coming towards you for example.
I know the original Super Mario Bros. had the same issue on newer revisions of the NES, so maybe it's a difference in the hardware of the SNES that's causing it. I don't recall ever hearing about that issue though.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:37 AM by iwasaperson »
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline abyssea

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 09:23 PM »
Had the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/snes/comments/7gaio6/differences_with_sd2snes_and_retail_cart_super/

tl;dr-
Solved the Super Mario issue by turning off In-Game Hook, In-Game Buttons and Initial Holdoff under Main Menu > Configuration > In-Game Settings.
I won't need these anyway since it's for cheat codes and restarting the console (or game) from the controller.

Also, make sure you're using the No-Intro Sets or a personal dump.

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Had the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/snes/comments/7gaio6/differences_with_sd2snes_and_retail_cart_super/

tl;dr-
Solved the Super Mario issue by turning off In-Game Hook, In-Game Buttons and Initial Holdoff under Main Menu > Configuration > In-Game Settings.
I won't need these anyway since it's for cheat codes and restarting the console (or game) from the controller.

That glitch happens at random even with all the in game hook turned off.

I think a few people have noticed this glitch because SMBW isn't a game that everyone urge to replay because most people have already finished this game many times. The developers should check this out because i'm almost sure this is a bug on sd2snes.

There is another glitch that I've experienced on sd2snes while playing Chrono Trigger. When you use the tech "Aura Whirl" the sprite of all characters whom are on screen flickers around themselves but this happens at random also and it seems it is only fixable by turning the console off and on.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:09 PM by efsd »

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 08:00 PM »

tl;dr-

That glitch happens at random even with all the in game hook turned off.

I think a few people have noticed this glitch because SMBW isn't a game that everyone urge to replay because most people have already finished this game many times. The developers should check this out because i'm almost sure this is a bug on sd2snes.

There is another glitch that I've experienced on sd2snes while playing Chrono Trigger. When you use the tech "Aura Whirl" the sprite of all characters whom are on screen flickers around themselves but this happens at random also and it seems it is only fixable by turning the console off and on.
I have noticed the Chrono Trigger glitch myself (no IGH), although I thought it was just because I was using a 1/1/1 SNES or it was a glitch in the game. Guess not. I'll try SMW.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 05:04 AM »
I'm running a chinese sd2snes
I'm sorry efsd but I think this is the source of your problem.
Can you by any chance borrow a Krikzz made SD2SNES to do tests?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 01:41 AM »
I highly doubt it. I'm seeing the same glitches in Chrono Trigger that he is, and my SD2SNES is legit. When working properly (which is a big "if" due to their iffy build quality), Chinese-made SD2SNESs work identically to ones made by KRIKzz due to it being an open source project.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:42 AM by iwasaperson »

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 09:08 PM »
I highly doubt it. I'm seeing the same glitches in Chrono Trigger that he is, and my SD2SNES is legit. When working properly (which is a big "if" due to their iffy build quality), Chinese-made SD2SNESs work identically to ones made by KRIKzz due to it being an open source project.

It's a not a problem with the design of the board.  The issues with the Chinese knock-offs is that in order to be as cheap as possible, they use the cheapest quality parts on the planet.  Parts not in spec with what an official board has.  Or lower quality parts with short lifespans, or counterfeit parts, etc.  THAT is why anytime there is an issue the first question to ask is whether it's an official board, or a Chinese Knock-off. 

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 12:56 PM »

It's a not a problem with the design of the board.  The issues with the Chinese knock-offs is that in order to be as cheap as possible, they use the cheapest quality parts on the planet.  Parts not in spec with what an official board has.  Or lower quality parts with short lifespans, or counterfeit parts, etc.  THAT is why anytime there is an issue the first question to ask is whether it's an official board, or a Chinese Knock-off.

At first i thought this could be the problem but my chinese sd2snes is fully functional and everything works as expected including MSU1. Also the board passed on all tests done by the sd2snes diagnostics and the burn-in test by the official Nintendo diagnostic rom so i see no reason not to rely on the board made in China.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 01:02 PM »
I can too see a line of few pixel when ending the first boss, it's caused by the in game button hooks.
It is expected to have some minor bugs as in-game hooks constantly injects a code that reads button combinations,, Disabling the hooks fixes that and runs the game like the original.
Tested with SFC + legit SD2SNES.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:07 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 01:18 PM »
I can too see a line of few pixel when ending the first boss, it's caused by the in game button hooks.
It is expected to have some minor bugs as in-game hooks constantly injects a code that reads button combinations,, Disabling the hooks fixes that and runs the game like the original.
Tested with SFC + legit SD2SNES.

I always have all the IGH turned off so i don't think this could be the problem. Actually doing the power cycle sometime do fix this glitch sometime don't.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:26 PM by efsd »

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Hi everyone.

I finally got a legit SD2SNES bought on Krikzz Store and I can confirm that this glitch still DOES happen on current firmware 0.1.7e even with all in game hooks turned off.

I think this should be reported as bug.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 05:58 PM »
In this case it seems to be a legit one. Report here: https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes/issues

Online shiggypoo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Apologies for reopening an old topic, but it looks like this was never resolved and I’m exhibiting the exact same issue on my new SD2SNES Pro.  I thought that by reviving it and sharing video that perhaps additional troubleshooting could be done for myself, OP and anyone else seeing it.

See below video, anybody else experiencing this? Some people appear to have fixed it by disabling in-game hooks, however for me and OP that is not working.

https://youtu.be/AuiWbzxyiqM

Using latest 1.10.3 firmware on a brand new SD2SNES Pro

In-game hooks are off

SNES is 2/1/3

SD2SNES Pro passes diagnostic firmware and the console passes the burn-in rev D test.

Recently cleaned pin connector of console with a credit card, 99% isopropyl on a microfibre cloth and canned air.

ROMs sources from a no-intro compilation.

As a side note, the reason I’m mildly concerned is that the other night while playing DKC 3 I noticed some sprite corruption during the barrel shield level (corruption of one of the barrel shields while climbing a rope) It fixed itself once it was off screen and I went back so it could be nothing.

Online shiggypoo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2019, 05:46 AM »
I know that one user said they were able to remedy this by disabling in-game hooks, however for me they’re already disabled by default.  For giggles I decided to enable hooks to see if it made matters worse, and the glitch isn’t happening!

I’d be happy except that I have no desire to use this feature and it’s known to cause issues with certain games. Curious though...

Edit: Never mind, I tried a few more times and it’s happening with in-game hooks enabled same as when they’re disabled. Must be an example of how it’s an intermittent problem for several of us...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:09 AM by shiggypoo »