Author Topic: SD2SNES help (not booting)  (Read 3665 times)

Offline zerorush

• View Profile
SD2SNES help (not booting)
« on: March 17, 2018, 02:04 AM »
Hi all,

Just recently acquired an SD2SNES from Krikzz but I've been having trouble getting it to work. I've used a couple different SD cards formatted in FAT32 with no success.

When the SD card is inserted, I get a red -> yellow -> red led flash then nothing else. Nothing appears on the screen either.

With the SD card left out, I get a solid yellow light with a repeating pattern of 3 red blinks. Even with the SD card out, nothing appears on the screen. I've been told that it should still display a 'No SD card found' message when booting without the card in.

The SNES works normally with any other game cartridges. I've searched around for other threads but haven't been able to find anything that works. Do you have any suggestions?

Offline efsd

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES help (not booting)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 02:38 AM »
You may have to format using a SD card formatter:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

Offline zerorush

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:21 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't seem to work. What I'm getting now is the same quick yellow/red flash followed by nothing. However, I'm also sometimes getting the yellow/red lights flashing together slowly for a while.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:05 AM »
Are you using an original SNES power brick?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:08 AM »
Run the SD2SNES test and post the results: https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff/sd2snes-diagnostics

Also what power supply are you using? The SD2SNES requires more power than normal games and having too low power (or using a PAL SNES PSU on an NTSC console) can cause issues. Official SNES or Genesis Model 1 PSUs are generally best.
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline zerorush

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 06:57 AM »
It looks like a generic 10v adapter. Is there a different one I should be using? I did some google searching but I'm only really able to find other 10v adapters.

Offline zerorush

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Actually it looks like my snes has a broken power port - it just has the two pins sticking out instead of the whole piece. I'm thinking that might be the issue? I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a replacement part.

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Actually it looks like my snes has a broken power port - it just has the two pins sticking out instead of the whole piece. I'm thinking that might be the issue? I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a replacement part.

This usually isn't an issue. Can you take pictures of the power supply? Any power supply rated between 8 and 12 volts should work fine if it has the correct polarity. 9v power supplies are common to use in SNESs. You want a current rating of at least 1 amp (unless you are using an original PSU). Cheap PSUs will also cause a lot of visual noise to appear on the screen as bars of diagonal lines moving down (or up) the screen. This is due to the power supplies having bad filtering.

If you want to get a new power supply, check out HD Retrovision's recommendation: http://www.hdretrovision.com/vote3rdparty
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline zerorush

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Attached a picture. It looks super cheap, but it's 10v, 1000mA output. 110v 60hz input.

Offline zerorush

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 08:29 PM »
I didn't notice this sooner (light was dim and the room was bright) but it looks like the green LED does actually come and stay on when I turn on with an sd card plugged in to the sd2snes - it's just nothing comes up on the screen.

Would that still point to a power issue?

Offline zerorush

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 10:15 PM »
I managed to get it working - thanks for the help everyone!

The issue is with the actual cartridge port on the SNES console it seems. I was able to reproduce the problem with an actual cart and figure it out from there. It seems like if I have my cartridge pushed in too far, or not far enough, it won't work at all. I have to put it in just the right spot for it to boot anything properly and I was able to get it up and running with the 1.7 firmware.