Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 201452 times)

Offline LopeMonkey

• View Profile
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2018, 07:25 AM »
This is absolutely fantastic!! My SD2SNES cannot get here quick enough!!

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2018, 08:15 AM »
You are missing the DSP rom needed for it.

For DSPx / ST0010 support you need the DSP ROM dumps:

dsp1.bin
dsp1b.bin
dsp2.bin
dsp3.bin
dsp4.bin
st0010.bin

They should be quite easy to find on the nets.

Thanks!!

That did it!!!

Not only for making Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings work but for whatever strange reason Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is now working as well!!!!
Okay... that's strange :o . But as long as it works...

"Yoshi's Island" (PAL) does not work for me (only shows a black screen). However the US version works pretty well  :D .

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Quote from: TomKeller
Okay... that's strange :o . But as long as it works...

Yeah, I'm as puzzled by this as you guys for why adding these dsp chips somehow made SMW2: Yoshi's Island Work.

I found out later thats not all it did.

Stunt Race FX worked perfectly after that as well. No more side to side screen glitching.

Star Fox 2 also worked perfectly and no longer had flashing graphics to the point if you saw what my screen was doing you'd think you were at a rave.  :o

I also found out that I had the Japanese version of Star Fox 2 as I got farther into the menus once the graphics were behaving like normal.

Only thing that seemed to change for the worse after adding the chip sets is now I've had to power cycle a few times to get Doom to run but at least once its up and running it doesn't stop.  8)
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2018, 09:00 AM »
@protheanbeacon
Redguy clearly stated that if the graphics are scrambled, you should power cycle the console.
The graphic glitches in GSU games have nothing to do with the DSP roms, I think it was mere coincidence.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:05 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline DJBabyBuster

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2018, 09:50 AM »
This is epic amazing.  Tested on my Super NT and games are running surprisingly smoothly.  I long ago bought most of the Super FX physical carts, but having a method to play Yoshi's Island hacks on console is remarkable, along with access to Star Fox 2 without paying in excess for a repro cart with an FX chip.  Looking forward to testing further revisions. Thank you so much Redguy for all you hard work!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:14 AM by swiftone38 »

Offline DJBabyBuster

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Quick question: Is needing to hold the reset button for saves limited just to SuperFX games?
So saving features for all other roms behaves as normal with this modified firmware?
Thanks for the info.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Rahzadan

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Quick question: Is needing to hold the reset button for saves limited just to SuperFX games?
So saving features for all other roms behaves as normal with this modified firmware?
Thanks for the info.

Yes, but with a caveat (in current beta version 01 of firmware). I spoke to RedGuy in the Analogue Discord channel yesterday, and he said if you load a regular game AFTER you've reset, having just loaded a Super FX game, the game may still not save properly unless you reset again.

To get around this, if you've just recently reset the console after playing a Super FX rom, completely power off the SNES and back on before playing a regular rom, and the game should save normally after that. He also said this behavior should be fixed in a future (perhaps the next) version of the firmware.

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Even on non beta firmware although SRAM is automatically copied to SD card during the gameplay you should always hold reset until the leds light up just to ensure that the SRAM is backed up to your SD Card before turn the console off.

Offline FartPuff

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2018, 03:11 PM »
Discovered a good trick for those using the Super NT, if you want to get back to the SD2SNES menu in game with hooks turned off without having to power cycle, just use the NT's menu, down+select, then load Turrican, down+select again, then load cart
retroUSB AVS / EverDrive N8 / Analogue Super NT / SAG SD2SNES Pro ( Mk. III Rev. B ) / SNES collection

Offline akzkaj

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2018, 04:34 PM »

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2018, 04:39 PM »
Discovered a good trick for those using the Super NT, if you want to get back to the SD2SNES menu in game with hooks turned off without having to power cycle, just use the NT's menu, down+select, then load Turrican, down+select again, then load cart

A quicker way of doing it is hold your reset hotkeys (Up+Select by default) for 3 seconds.

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2018, 04:59 PM »

That's how I've been doing it, works like a charm  ;D

A quicker way of doing it is hold your reset hotkeys (Up+Select by default) for 3 seconds.

Don't hooks need to be enabled to use any hotkeys though? I have them disabled for the sake of stability.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, but with a caveat (in current beta version 01 of firmware). I spoke to RedGuy in the Analogue Discord channel yesterday, and he said if you load a regular game AFTER you've reset, having just loaded a Super FX game, the game may still not save properly unless you reset again.

To get around this, if you've just recently reset the console after playing a Super FX rom, completely power off the SNES and back on before playing a regular rom, and the game should save normally after that. He also said this behavior should be fixed in a future (perhaps the next) version of the firmware.

Does this need to be done every time we use a game that has saving? I'd figure that'd wear out the reset and power buttons pretty fast, no? I may have to wait till SD card saving is re-enabled.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:02 PM by the_randomizer »

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Don't hooks need to be enabled to use any hotkeys though? I have them disabled for the sake of stability.

Super NT hot keys have nothing to do with SD2SNES in-game hooks. You said yourself you use Down+Select to open the Super NT menu. Well, Up+Select resets the game. Holding Up+Select for 3 seconds takes you back to the SD2SNES menu just like holding the reset switch for 3 seconds on the SNES/SFC.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:35 PM by mrpopsicleman »

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2018, 05:46 PM »

Wait! I'm very confused now! Do i always need to power cycle everytime i want to disable in game hooks besides turning all options off in sd2snes menu?