Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 201432 times)

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2018, 08:18 PM »
RedGuy should be known as the SFXGuy from now on XD

Also my posts keep disappearing. Anyone else having the same issue?

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Was seeing some odd Stunt Race behavior where the 2WD vehicle (normally unlockable) was available from the start in all modes. Cycling through the other vehicles caused the 2WD to disappear.

This glitch survived a reset, but not a hard power cycle.

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Hi Shadow!

No. No one else has the same issue.
Just a bit of politeness and your post won't disappear.

RedGuy no words. just incredible.

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2018, 08:49 PM »
I've been testing things out on the new Super NT created by Kevin Horton (Kevtris) of the Analogue company.

So far the majority of games seem to work good or at least to playability levels.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island= I get a start up Nintendo chiming sound with garbled graphics and thats it. The game won't move on from there to become playable in any way even after various power recycles and following Redguy's instructions to disable in game hooks.

Star Fox: Plays and runs perfect as far as I can tell.

Vortex= Plays and runs perfect as far as I can tell.

Doom= minor screen glitching but very playable.

Stunt Race FX= start up menu screen is perfect but game screen glitches from left to right making it unplayable unless you can somehow ignore it and prevent severe dizziness from developing in yourself.

Dirt Trax FX= I think this was the other racing game I played as it was on motorcycles and apparently on a dirt track so yeah. Anyway graphically it looked and played perfectly.

Winter Gold= Discovered I had a PAL version of the game when the game pak informed me onscreen this way the case and to remove the cartridge because it was unplayable in my area/region, etc. Bummer.

Anyway I plan to test things on my genuine RGB modded SNES mini on the old Framemeister a bit later and I suspect SMW2: Yoshi's Island will work on it.

Its obvious as great as the Super NT is Kevtris still hasn't gotten all the bugs worked out as on my console at least (the black colored version) Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings are unplayable as well and yes I'm on the very latest firmware and I already reported this to Analogue's email staff in which I got a reply and I believe a thanks from so who knows if they have reported what I had to say to Kevtris or not? I hope that they did.  :P

Anyway great work as always Redguy.

You're obviously a "goddamned genius!" to quote the drill instructor from Forrest Gump or like Matt Damon's genius character from Good Will Hunting or hell even Russel Crowe's real life math genius character "John Nash" from the movie "A Beautiful Mind".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:55 PM by protheanbeacon »
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2018, 08:56 PM »
* dreimer switches troll ignore mode on.

Hey @redguy, you provided me a evening of childhood feelings here. Just went on and played Yoshi's Island for a few hours. :D
Trying PAL games results in funny glitches, but I remember these... When I try to use a PAL Starwing game on a NTSC console I have similar blocks of garbage.
Ah and Yoshi's Island PAL says it's not made for this console. SO the region lockout seems to be non working here.
Star Fox 1 and 2 tend to hang in intro on Super NT, but seeing it doing something is a great one :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:11 PM by dreimer »

Offline infiniteneslives

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Nice work redguy!

Curious if you'd be willing to share more technical info about your implementation.  Mostly curious about how much of the FPGA's resources are used?

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2018, 09:10 PM »
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island= I get a start up Nintendo chiming sound with garbled graphics and thats it. The game won't move on from there to become playable in any way even after various power recycles and following Redguy's instructions to disable in game hooks.
Had the same issue - but strangely converting my .smc ROM file to .sfc (which afaik only strips the unnecessary 512 byte header from the file) made the game work for whatever reason.

Offline megari

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2018, 09:24 PM »
I've been testing things out on the new Super NT created by Kevin Horton (Kevtris) of the Analogue company.

So far the majority of games seem to work good or at least to playability levels.

Star Fox: Plays and runs perfect as far as I can tell.

Vortex= Plays and runs perfect as far as I can tell.

Doom= minor screen glitching but very playable.

Stunt Race FX= start up menu screen is perfect but game screen glitches from left to right making it unplayable unless you can somehow ignore it and prevent severe dizziness from developing in yourself.

Dirt Trax FX= I think this was the other racing game I played as it was on motorcycles and apparently on a dirt track so yeah. Anyway graphically it looked and played perfectly.

Winter Gold= Discovered I had a PAL version of the game when the game pak informed me onscreen this way the case and to remove the cartridge because it was unplayable in my area/region, etc. Bummer.

Anyway I plan to test things on my genuine RGB modded SNES mini on the old Framemeister a bit later and I suspect SMW2: Yoshi's Island will work on it.

Its obvious as great as the Super NT is Kevtris still hasn't gotten all the bugs worked out as on my console at least (the black colored version) Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings are unplayable as well and yes I'm on the very latest firmware and I already reported this to Analogue's email staff in which I got a reply and I believe a thanks from so who knows if they have reported what I had to say to Kevtris or not? I hope that they did.  :P

Anyway great work as always Redguy.

You're obviously a "goddamned genius!" to quote the drill instructor from Forrest Gump or like Matt Damon's genius character from Good Will Hunting or hell even Russel Crowe's real life math genius character "John Nash" from the movie "A Beautiful Mind".

Many of your problems sound like ones one gets when trying to run PAL games in NTSC mode. Super Mario Kart works fine on the Super Nt. Have you tried setting the Super Nt to PAL mode? Are your ROM files PAL versions?

Offline countdown

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2018, 09:25 PM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:31 PM by countdown »

Offline screevo

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Had the same issue - but strangely converting my .smc ROM file to .sfc (which afaik only strips the unnecessary 512 byte header from the file) made the game work for whatever reason.

Changing the extension doesn't strip a header. It just identifies it as headered or unheadered. A .smc file should be headered, and most things will properly open a file whose extension doesn't match whether or not it is headered.

Offline megari

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Hi Shadow!

No. No one else has the same issue.
Just a bit of politeness and your post won't disappear.

RedGuy no words. just incredible.

I've been polite. Covering up the truth isn't making anyone look better either. Look at how quickly redguy is programming the FX chip.  I'm just tired of being lied too and everyone should be too. If the truth upsets you then by all means continue living in lala land.
BTW you've deleted everyone elses posts too not just mine so yes the others have had the same issue.

No, you most definitely have not been polite. Having the nerve of complaining and concocting conspiracy theories about someone like ikari who has made a great contribution to the community 1) for free 2) on his free time and 3) open-sourced it, is beyond rude and entitled. He does not owe anything to you, or anyone. He has other priorities in life for the time being, and does not have a lot of time to work on the SD2SNES. Please understand.

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Quote from: megari
Many of your problems sound like ones one gets when trying to run PAL games in NTSC mode. Super Mario Kart works fine on the Super Nt. Have you tried setting the Super Nt to PAL mode? Are your ROM files PAL versions?

For whatever reason Super Mario Kart does not work on my version of the Super NT and I have the latest firmware update (4.5 I think it is?) and also after reading your post I just now went and "acquired" a verified USA Super Mario Kart rom and tested it on the Super NT in both smc and sfc file versions and the game simply will not move past the Nintendo logo chiming sound screen.

Thanks for trying to help though.
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2018, 09:52 PM »
You are missing the DSP rom needed for it.

For DSPx / ST0010 support you need the DSP ROM dumps:

dsp1.bin
dsp1b.bin
dsp2.bin
dsp3.bin
dsp4.bin
st0010.bin

They should be quite easy to find on the nets.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:07 PM by dreimer »

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2018, 10:08 PM »
Changing the extension doesn't strip a header. It just identifies it as headered or unheadered. A .smc file should be headered, and most things will properly open a file whose extension doesn't match whether or not it is headered.
I did not just changed the extension. Why would i do that? Changing the extension of a file does not change its content. I used an online converter to convert the file from .smc to .sfc format. I checked with an hex editor and (as expected) the conversion removed the first 512 bytes (containing plain zeros as hex value).

Judging from my own experience the SD2SNES should work with headerless ROM files as well as with files containing a header. But for whatever reason my ROMs for "Star Fox" and "Yoshi's Island" won't work, if they are containing a header. "Yoshi's Island" shows the exact same behavior as described by 'protheanbeacon' (the Nintendo chiming sound with garbled graphics) and "Star Fox" only shows a black screen with some small white stripes on the left corner of the screen, while the music from the "Nintendo presents" intro plays -> but i never get into the main menu. The music ends and the screen stays as it is: black with two small white stripes in the corner. Stripping the header however makes both ROM files working without any problem...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:10 PM by TomKeller »

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I wonder if this is the same Shadow from efnet irc. If it is, lol just ignore him that's just the way he is.