Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 199422 times)

Offline Bits n Stuff

• Classic Gaming: Discord Server Mod
    • View Profile
    • Classic Gaming: Discord Server
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2018, 01:17 AM »
Wow, even when this thread was started I thought we would be months away from where we are now.

I'm not an expert at this stuff so I'm going to leave the testing to people who know what they're doing but I'm so impressed with what has been achieved here.

Offline oskarzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2018, 01:30 AM »
Thank you redguy, its miracle.

Offline tic

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2018, 01:31 AM »
Ran this on my SNES Mini and once you disable the in-game hooks every SuperFX game is playable.
Perhaps it would be an idea to implement "Disable in-game hooks" by chip type?

Why? Is a beta version, its normal some things fail. In hook game are one of the best features of sd2snes, i wait in the future this can be fixed for fx chip.

Pd thank you for all you free work redguy.

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2018, 03:29 AM »
Just tried out. Good stuff. A little bit of slow down (Star Fox 2) and a few graphical glitches (Doom and Stunt Race FX) but otherwise, amazing beta release. Only game I couldn't get to actually boot was Winter Gold, which just freezes at the title screen. I've currently got Yoshi's Island idling on the title screen on the SD2SNES and it's quite surreal to me.  :D

I believe that Picante fellow owes you $1,000. https://twitter.com/PicanteLive/status/961352854681325569

Offline woozle

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2018, 03:35 AM »
Been having a blast messing around with the super FX beta release.

Noticed a small slow down in Yoshi's island on the first level when you push the first boulder, other than that it's been great.

Offline efsd

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2018, 03:43 AM »
Been having a blast messing around with the super FX beta release.

Noticed a small slow down in Yoshi's island on the first level when you push the first boulder, other than that it's been great.

I've noticed a minor slow down in Yoshi's Island too but in the level where you are in the cave. I'm not sure if there are the same slow down on the real cartridge though. Those random glitches are hard to confirm...

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2018, 03:44 AM »
Been having a blast as well with this! I'm using an ntsc 1chip-03. I wasn't able to have Yoshi's Island save though. I even did the reset of the snes, and when I rebooted I had no save files?

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2018, 04:38 AM »
So since SD saves are temporarily disabled, would we still be able to save our games' progress by saving in-game, then hitting reset? That's my understanding to this beta firmware anyway.

Offline FartPuff

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2018, 04:53 AM »
redguy this is incredible, thanks a bunch!  Please keep this up!

SD2SNES Rev H,  0.1.7e-gsu-v01, Analogue Super NT firmware v4.5

Plays!

Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Super Mario World 2
Stunt Race FX
Dirt Trax FX

I did notice that certain versions don't work, you have to choose the right ones!   

Sound/Music is messed up here and there, sometimes no music, minor graphics glitches.  A fiery beta!

the_randomizer, just hold the reset button for a couple seconds the save should happen then
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:04 AM by FartPuff »
retroUSB AVS / EverDrive N8 / Analogue Super NT / SAG SD2SNES Pro ( Mk. III Rev. B ) / SNES collection

Offline ArrisonChan

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2018, 05:35 AM »
I just did some stopwatch comparisons of Star Fox with a real cart vs. the SD2SNES on both a SNES 1 and a SNES 2 if anyone is curious. Forgive the utter lack of video editing. Not really my forte and this was just moreso for science anyways.

https://youtu.be/hAJuzOAu4rg

Seems like the SD2SNES is about 10% slower, which is crazy progress considering the sheer speed in which this has been put together.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:38 AM by ArrisonChan »

Offline Picante

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2018, 05:39 AM »
Just tried out. Good stuff. A little bit of slow down (Star Fox 2) and a few graphical glitches (Doom and Stunt Race FX) but otherwise, amazing beta release. Only game I couldn't get to actually boot was Winter Gold, which just freezes at the title screen. I've currently got Yoshi's Island idling on the title screen on the SD2SNES and it's quite surreal to me.  :D

I believe that Picante fellow owes you $1,000. https://twitter.com/PicanteLive/status/961352854681325569

Hey,

This is the creator of that tweet. I do want to say that I'm super impressed that this is coming together and it seems super promising. I'm honestly just surprised how fast this came about.

I think in the initial tweet I was a bit too informal, just because I expected to flesh it out more when someone mentioned they were interested in implementing this, and I was a bit blindsided to see this happening as fast as it did. I spoke with BeeKaay, the other person contributing to the bounty (as you can see in the tweet reply chain he mentioned he was going to match everything I listed) and we came up with the following formal requirements for retrieving the bounty:

1) The code is implemented into https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes and from there
2) it is released as part of an official SD2SNES firmware update

Not trying to shift the goalposts or anything like that. Both BeeKaay and I have good reputations in our gaming circles and there should be no doubt that the money will be paid when these are met. It's just good to have formal requirements for bounty eligibility.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2018, 05:47 AM »
This is simply astounding!  Winter Gold isn't working for me, and Dirt Racer is pretty slow, but that may have been as designed, ha ha.  I did get glitches on most games first shot, but then loaded them a second time and they were alright.  Most amazing is that the other special chips STILL work while SuperFX is implemented.  Again, I'm not a big SuperFX fan beyond Star Fox 1 and Yoshi's Island, so it's hard to judge performance.  Those games work pretty well it seems. 

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2018, 05:48 AM »

Hey,

This is the creator of that tweet. I do want to say that I'm super impressed that this is coming together and it seems super promising. I'm honestly just surprised how fast this came about.

I think in the initial tweet I was a bit too informal, just because I expected to flesh it out more when someone mentioned they were interested in implementing this, and I was a bit blindsided to see this happening as fast as it did. I spoke with BeeKaay, the other person contributing to the bounty (as you can see in the tweet reply chain he mentioned he was going to match everything I listed) and we came up with the following formal requirements for retrieving the bounty:

1) The code is implemented into https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes and from there
2) it is released as part of an official SD2SNES firmware update

Not trying to shift the goalposts or anything like that. Both BeeKaay and I have good reputations in our gaming circles and there should be no doubt that the money will be paid when these are met. It's just good to have formal requirements for bounty eligibility.

If you come through with this, then consider me as another contributor for the SA-1 pool. There is another for SA-1, right?

The only concern is that SA-1 may not be possible on the current FPGA though.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline Reed_Solomon

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2018, 06:07 AM »

Why? Is a beta version, its normal some things fail. In hook game are one of the best features of sd2snes, i wait in the future this can be fixed for fx chip.

Well assuming everything ends up working fine once out of Beta then sure why bother but if it ends up being an issue then it might be something to consider.

Offline ErivandoXP

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2018, 06:22 AM »
More tests...

I've tested all games released with Super FX and FX 2. Snes used is the NTSC FAT 1-Chip model. (Roms from pack of smokemonster)

Dirt Racer (Europe) - Works well (Crash, but worked after reset)

Dirt Trax FX - Works well, a bit slow

Doom - Worked with artifacts, but speed is good

Star Fox - Works well, a bit slow

Star Fox 2 - Works very well

Stunt Race - Works well, a bit slow

Vortex - Worked and playable, a bit slow

Winter Gold (Europe) - It worked perfect (To leave the menu you have to go in the options and add a player, go back and select the competition)

Yoshi's Island - It worked perfect (I have the original and did not see differences in the first two phases)

I tested some translated roms and hacks and they worked well (Yoshi Hack worked perfect and Star Fox Hack ran with glitch)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:27 PM by Erivandoxp »