Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 140220 times)

Offline Nobody09

• Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2018, 03:39 AM »
I've tested Yoshi's Island (both revisions) on a 2-1-3 SNES with a rev F SD2SNES and I didn't notice any issues other than some slowdown in some areas.

EDIT: I've also just tried all revisions of Yossy Island (the Japanese Yoshi's Island) and same.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:47 AM by That Awesome Gamer Dude (アン驚くばかりゲーマー) »
Former clan banner:

Flashcarts I own: EDMDv3, SD2SNES, R4i Gold 3DS (r4ids.cn)

Consoles I own that work:

Others: PSP (Bricked), Dreamcast (Defective GD-ROM Drive)

Offline redguy

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 05, 2018, 03:52 AM »
If anyone has a rom that doesn't work at all and works in an emulator then send me a message with the name, file size, checksum.  I doubt I've run anything with the 0x200 byte copier header and there may be a problem with the scoring code.

With DEBUG defined the debug config registers are added in and default to stepping instructions.  So the first gsu instruction causes it to halt in the wait/registerwrite/retire stage until you increment the stepCnt register.  Originally, I planned to have it default to running and never reset, but there were some problems with that I never debugged.  So now it resets that register state on a snes reset assertion which makes it more convenient to default to stepping.  Now that it runs more often than it crashes I suppose I should change the default.  :)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Quote from: redguy
  Now that it runs more often than it crashes I suppose I should change the default.  :)
Yes please.  :)

Redguy do you plan to further investigate the speed issues, and iron out bugs?
I am interested to know how a programmer decides what is "final", and stops debugging his work.

With the CX4 implementation, a "final" build was when SD2SNES ran Megaman X1-3 side-by-side with the real cart and was time accurate, including slowdowns of the real chip.
I suppose GSU will not hit that level of cycle accuracy as CX4 but will be very close?
Also, does the code differentiate between GSU-1 and GSU-2 speeds, or does it run everything at a certain speed (21MHz)?
Moreover, what about the remaining FPGA space you were worried about, are we in-the-clear?

Do you think compiling each commit automatically with AppVeyor for people to try will be a good idea? ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:37 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Rahzadan

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2018, 06:33 AM »
If anyone has a rom that doesn't work at all and works in an emulator then send me a message with the name, file size, checksum.

I'm happy to report that I've tested all of the Officially released (non-hacks) Super FX roms, and not a single one of them "doesn't work at all". In other words, they all work - albiet with their own individual sets of slowdowns, graphic glitches here and there, etc... I've heard that SFX rom hacks are a little bit worse off in this department, with some not working much at all - but I haven't tested these.

Offline toadhall

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2018, 07:04 AM »
Booted up Starfox 2 just to test this out and ended up finishing the whole bloody game. I've never even got past the second battle before in any of my previous playthroughs and I own a SNES mini! Didn't detect any problems. Some stages seemed slow but honestly I couldn't tell. Worked fine for me!

I love my SD2SNES! Good work Redguy!

Offline redguy

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Give this version a try.  I fixed the doom graphics glitch bug which may have also fixed stunt race fx and the startup crash.  You can turn the in-game hooks back on, but they are now temporarily disabled in gsu games.  I still need to fix that bug.

Fixed doom graphical glitch.
Fixed in-game hooks by temporarily disabling with gsu games.
Fixed save problem with non-gsu games.

See the first post for the latest version: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7451.msg57572#msg57572
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:48 AM by redguy »

Offline ArrisonChan

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Give this version a try.  I fixed the doom graphics glitch bug which may have also fixed stunt race fx and the startup crash.  You can turn the in-game hooks back on, but they are now temporarily disabled in gsu games.  I still need to fix that bug.

https://github.com/RedGuyyyy/sd2snes/releases/download/gsu_v02/sd2snes_gsu_v02.zip
https://github.com/RedGuyyyy/sd2snes/releases/tag/gsu_v02

Nice! I'll give this a shot here in a few. Thanks for the hard work!

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Thanks for the update, Redguy 8)

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Just found out today super FX games work on sd2snes.  Thanks for all the hard work you put in redguy.  Well done :)

Offline ozzy2k

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2018, 10:52 AM »
Thanks for the hard work redguy  :D

Offline jonnnlad

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2018, 11:04 AM »
@Redguy

Played Yoshis island yesterday. Had a graphics issue on first try but after power cycling the snes, works perfectly. Saves an all.

My life is complete.

Thank you again for your hard work

Offline tic

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2018, 11:20 AM »

https://github.com/RedGuyyyy/sd2snes/releases/download/gsu_v02/sd2snes_gsu_v02.zip
https://github.com/RedGuyyyy/sd2snes/releases/tag/gsu_v02

Thank you, i not sure if it correct call a fix disable the in hook games.  The fix should be they work with fx. Thats more a trick. Anyway great work!

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 05, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Thank you, i not sure if it correct call a fix disable the in hook games.  The fix should be they work with fx. Thats more a trick. Anyway great work!

In-game hooks are still not perfect even on stock SD2SNES firmware, so just let the guy fix the core first, or get it running as best he can before we start worrying or moaning about in-game hooks.

Offline phalanx67

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 05, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Thanks for the update, Redguy , i not understand the problem with the in game hook ? i hope its possible in the future to adjust the speed of super fx in starfox 1 and 2 , awesome work and another big  big thanks redguy :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:44 PM by phalanx67 »

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2018, 12:49 PM »
i not understand the problem with the in game hook ?

It causes glitches in some games. It's disabled for SuperFX games for the time being until the core is more stable and bugs are fixed.