Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 198300 times)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2018, 09:19 PM »
redguy, once again, thank you so much for your work.  This is spectacular stuff.

For all the discussion about the SA1 chip, I have a question.  I've heard in various other places that most SA1 games barely even used the chip.  Is it possible to potentially just implement pieces of it, instead of the entire instruction set?  Just curious.  (This could obviously be completely wrong!  You never know what's true and what isn't on the web.)

EDIT:  Ah, here we go.  This might be where I got it from.  byuu seems to indicate a ton of features on the chip were never used.

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15759&sid=537c84429efa1b6686ea4a7e6bc7435a&start=0

This is completely off-topic, though, so my apologies!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:29 PM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline AlxUnderBase

• View Profile
    • http://www.soundcloud.com/alexunderbase
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Thank you Redguy ! will be hard for me to start on use the saving on SD using reset button ! You are a legend and Ikari too  :)
SD2SNES rev F - EVERDRIVE-64 v3 - EVERDRIVE N8 Fam - EVERDRIVE-GBA X5 - EVERDRIVE-GBA X7 - PSIO

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Thank you Redguy ! will be hard for me to start on use the saving on SD using reset button ! You are a legend and Ikari too  :)
Funny, a few painful lost saves taught me to ALWAYS long reset any game with SRAM, long before the GSU beta. It's much nicer now with the Super Nt, because I can do a long reset from the couch.  8)

Offline Deltax5

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 05, 2018, 11:08 PM »
I hear there is another update coming tonight or is it already released. Some of the roms in the smokemonster pack for fx don't work very good. THou smokemonster put up his patch that works better for the roms. THe patch actually lets you overclock your custom cartridge more then normal but he claims it works with this. it's on rom hacking.net.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:22 PM by Deltax5 »

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2018, 11:29 PM »
Patience,he will post it here.

Offline bogusrj

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 05, 2018, 11:30 PM »
Awesome!!! Thanks from Brazil!!!

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2018, 12:09 AM »
EDIT:  Ah, here we go.  This might be where I got it from.  byuu seems to indicate a ton of features on the chip were never used.

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15759&sid=537c84429efa1b6686ea4a7e6bc7435a&start=0

This is completely off-topic, though, so my apologies!

It may be off topic, but nonetheless quite interesting.  I'll bet most didn't know this.  That being said, I'm not sure if one could just map "some" of it and have that work on all games.  Perhaps some used different aspects?  I would think not, I mean, they probably just wanted something affordable to do some extra processing.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2018, 12:15 AM »
I hear there is another update coming tonight or is it already released. Some of the roms in the smokemonster pack for fx don't work very good. THou smokemonster put up his patch that works better for the roms. THe patch actually lets you overclock your custom cartridge more then normal but he claims it works with this. it's on rom hacking.net.
I think you're confusing things a little. I don't share any ROMs, but my lists are based on No-Intro for the open-source EverDrive Packs Lists GitHub project. Those SFX ROMs work extremely well, so something must be wrong on your end.

The patched ROM you're talking about is just a hack of Starfox 2 that TheRealPhoenix made for me so I could burn an EEPROM for an overclocked repro, since the original ROM crashes at any OC over 27MHz. TheRealPhoenix's ROM can be overclocked up to 52MHz. I submitted his patch to romhacking.net, but as I said in my stream, I have no idea if it will make any difference on Redguy's SFX core. It does boot and seems to play correctly on Redguy's core, but I couldn't detect any speed difference from the original.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:16 AM by SmokeMonster »

Offline netbeui

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2018, 02:03 AM »
Thanks redguy and anyone else that contributed to this!

Quick question - should we disable only ingame hooks or ALL hooks?

Offline fandangos

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2018, 03:25 AM »
I think you're confusing things a little. I don't share any ROMs, but my lists are based on No-Intro for the open-source EverDrive Packs Lists GitHub project. Those SFX ROMs work extremely well, so something must be wrong on your end.

The patched ROM you're talking about is just a hack of Starfox 2 that TheRealPhoenix made for me so I could burn an EEPROM for an overclocked repro, since the original ROM crashes at any OC over 27MHz. TheRealPhoenix's ROM can be overclocked up to 52MHz. I submitted his patch to romhacking.net, but as I said in my stream, I have no idea if it will make any difference on Redguy's SFX core. It does boot and seems to play correctly on Redguy's core, but I couldn't detect any speed difference from the original.

Your post finally answered a question I had.
When you first announced that you would not keep sharing roms but actually go in the dat like mame system in RetroRGB guest section I had no idea what set you would use as a base.

Thank you for your work, SM. Your sets are very handy for flash cartridge owners.

Offline redguy

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2018, 04:21 AM »
On v01 you had to disable just in-game hooks.  On v02 you can leave them enabled since the firmware disables them behind the scenes for gsu games.  I have an idea why it causes a crash, but haven't had a chance to confirm and see if a fix is possible.

Thanks megari.  I fixed the associated branch by recreating the tag.

I haven't looked at sa-1 and can't comment on it.  The memory system of the gsu is where all the complication is.  The instruction set is pretty simple with a few messy instructions (plot) and concepts (branch delay slots).  But there is an execute pipe, instruction cache, store buffer, write buffers for plot, and a prefetcher that all operate in parallel and make requests to the rom and ram.  This the source of most of the bugs and performance differences between the sd2snes and original cart.

Offline NeoXbit

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2018, 04:56 AM »
That is just phenomenal! redguy, you're an instant legend. Can't wait to try this beta version tomorrow on my beloved SD2SNES.

Offline boogiemanspud

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2018, 05:24 AM »
Just wanted to add my thanks to redguy.  This is pretty amazing news.  ;D

Offline GadgetUK

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Just wanted to add my thanks too - I've not tried it yet but I've seen the success on YouTube, and wow - great job!!!  I understand there are small performance differences, assumed its due to the lack of caching you mentioned in an earlier post, but wow - as is this is just 100% awesome!  I didn't think this would happen with the SD2SNES if I am honest, just because Ikari is pretty bloody genius, and the fact we hadn't heard much about this before I thought it was perhaps out of the scope for the FPGA.  Trully awesome!  Hopefully this will be merged with the official branch!  Just amazing, hats off to you sir - you really should announce a PayPal donation address or something, I will buy you some beers!

Offline LDigital

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2018, 10:06 AM »
Exciting times!
Um, lame question, I have downloaded the file from the first post. How do I get this working?
Is there a new sd2snes firmware to go with it? First post doesn’t say.

Thanks