Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 198311 times)

Offline sonicjhn

• View Profile
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #240 on: April 07, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Can someone please make a side-by-side video of Starfox intro with real cart and SD2SNES to compare speed.

Yes! A guy in Brazil has made a comparison video: https://youtu.be/cGXULHz0rd8

Please note: if you don't speak or understand portuguese, skip to 4:20 to jump directly into the comparison.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 07, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Tested yoshi's island on most of my free time today.  Works amazing,  thanks again redguy. I had not played it since I sold it to buy the SD2Snes in 2014, along with my snes game collection.

Star Fox 1 and 2 work great too. Don't care for the rest of GSU-1 games.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 07, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Thanks.
From what I see most slowdown in Starfox is caused by polygon calculation but it will not be very noticeable without direct comparison like this video, so it is very playable indeed.

I do not see any slowdown in YI example, it is the same on all 4 windows.
I guess simple bitmap manipulations where no polygons involved is much faster.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:24 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline GadgetUK

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Can someone please make a side-by-side video of Starfox intro with real cart and SD2SNES to compare speed.

Please note: if you don't speak or understand portuguese, skip to 4:20 to jump directly into the comparison.
Thanks!  That video link is really useful!  Interesting as I think there's not much difference in performance there.  Around 13.5% difference I think.  Not really noticeable whilst playing.

StarFox intro, from boot to title screen - approximate
4:22 till 4:59 (37 secs) for real cart
4:22 till 5:04 (42 secs) for SD2DNES

Offline thanius

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 07, 2018, 12:29 PM »
Just tried both Star Fox and Yoshi's Island, neither of which work (Yoshi's Island only plays the first "Nintendo" sound, with black screen and a few garbled graphics, then crashes. Star Fox plays the music with the same graphical result.)
Then I read through the thread and noticed that the firmware has only been tested on NTSC ROMs and hardware.
My SNES is SuperCIC-modded so I thought that shouldn't be an issue.

I swapped out the ROMs to PAL and the games ran without issues. Bummer that I need to play Star Fox (Starwing) in 50hz though.

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 07, 2018, 01:50 PM »
I have a SuperCIC modded PAL SNES and have no problems with the NTSC version of "Star Fox". Both versions (the NTSC "Star Fox" and the PAL "Starwing") do run without issues. But as i wrote a couple of pages ago:

Judging from my own experience the SD2SNES should work with headerless ROM files as well as with files containing a header. But for whatever reason my ROMs for "Star Fox" and "Yoshi's Island" won't work, if they are containing a header. "Yoshi's Island" shows the exact same behavior as described by 'protheanbeacon' (the Nintendo chiming sound with garbled graphics) and "Star Fox" only shows a black screen with some small white stripes on the left corner of the screen, while the music from the "Nintendo presents" intro plays -> but i never get into the main menu. The music ends and the screen stays as it is: black with two small white stripes in the corner. Stripping the header however makes both ROM files working without any problem...

So if your NTSC versions of "Star Fox" and "Yoshi's Island" are '.smc ROM files, which are containing a 512 byte header, you may want to try to strip the header. You can do it manually (by using a hex editor) or you can use a smc-to-sfc conversion tool (which does the same). Maybe it'll help you with those issues...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 02:00 PM by TomKeller »

Offline jse

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 07, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Hello, Thank you for the awesome work :) I tested it out today with Yoshis Island
the version 1.0 of the rom works great, the 1.1 fails to load. I noticed minor gfx
glitches on the title screen (see picture) and also when entering and exiting areas.
other than these very minor glitches the game runs at full speed without issue :D

Tested on JPN Super Famicom with SuperCIC

https://i.imgur.com/V63p55c.jpg

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 07, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Hello, Thank you for the awesome work :) I tested it out today with Yoshis Island
the version 1.0 of the rom works great, the 1.1 fails to load. I noticed minor gfx
glitches on the title screen (see picture) and also when entering and exiting areas.
other than these very minor glitches the game runs at full speed without issue :D

Tested on JPN Super Famicom with SuperCIC

https://i.imgur.com/V63p55c.jpg
i have no glitch on usa snes

Offline Yiori

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 07, 2018, 04:59 PM »
I don't know if anyone tested this, but for me the games boot better if i start a "normal" rom like mario kart and after some second hold reset to reach menu again and select a sfx rom, this way it always boot the game.

Offline CZroe

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 07, 2018, 05:53 PM »
Why does everyone keep saying to power cycle when you get graphical corruption at boot? I tried the earliest public release of this and immediately realized that a normal reset will clear it up. Did that change? I’ll have to try the latest release tonight.

“Power cycle” isn’t just the hip new phrase for reset, you know. ;)

Anyway, even though I haven’t checked out all the updates yet, I’m super excited and look forward to progress. Thought I’d mention though that one of the biggest annoyances for me about SuperFX emulation on SNES9x and ZSNES is Starfox running too fast and cutting off Dan Owsen’s voice intro (never gets to the “prepare for launch” part). Of course, it’s a problem for overclocked versions too. Thankfully, this is currently slow enough that I get the full intro now (and then some) but I thought I’d point out that the intro would be a good target to try and sync things up with a real SNES as performance improves... at least for GSU-1 games.

Offline LDigital

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2018, 08:04 PM »
This is completely amazing. Apart from having to reset star fox once due to black screen it has worked perfectly on all the key games

Starfox
Starfox 2
Yoshi Island
Stunt Race Fx
Doom

Are we at the limit on its performance or are we likely to be able to overclock a little in the options menu like the capcom chips?

Amazing amazing amazing. Thanks for this huge contribution to the scene

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Considering it's still not running as fast as the original chip, I think you're getting ahead of yourselves with this talk of overclocking.

Offline GadgetUK

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2018, 09:59 PM »
Tested - v2, working sweet with my Super Famicom =D   I did notice a problem with 2 games - Star Fox (PAL) and Yoshis Island (PAL) both start but hang with some graphical issue - like some text has a messed up font, on a black background.  But those same games in NTSC region work fine.  Strangely Doom from PAL region works fine despite this being NTSC.  I did also find that if you reset back to the menu and load another game it would freeze to a black screen, but after power off and on it would then boot that game.  I also found Star Fox 2 showed a black screen to start with, but after pressing reset it booted.   All in all, very impressive release!

I got to level 3 in Doom.  Does anyone know how you save in Doom?  I saw no options in-game, and just pressed reset.  I cannot remember now if you are supposed to hold reset to go back to the menu for it to save or what.  Been a while since I used my SD2SNES.

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #253 on: April 07, 2018, 10:02 PM »
Extremely excited for the development of this project. Any thoughts on the possibility of a frame perfect release down the road?  ;D
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline ka55

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2018, 10:36 PM »
Tested - v2, working sweet with my Super Famicom =D   I did notice a problem with 2 games - Star Fox (PAL) and Yoshis Island (PAL) both start but hang with some graphical issue - like some text has a messed up font, on a black background.  But those same games in NTSC region work fine.  Strangely Doom from PAL region works fine despite this being NTSC.  I did also find that if you reset back to the menu and load another game it would freeze to a black screen, but after power off and on it would then boot that game.  I also found Star Fox 2 showed a black screen to start with, but after pressing reset it booted.   All in all, very impressive release!

I got to level 3 in Doom.  Does anyone know how you save in Doom?  I saw no options in-game, and just pressed reset.  I cannot remember now if you are supposed to hold reset to go back to the menu for it to save or what.  Been a while since I used my SD2SNES.
snes doom do not save the progress