Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 201466 times)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #375 on: April 15, 2018, 10:24 PM »
There is a "GSU Speed Normal/Fast" now.
On Fast setting games (Star Fox, YI) run faster than the real GSU-02...
Amazing achievement!
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline ThiagoRibeiro

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 15, 2018, 10:27 PM »

fix : http://dl.free.fr/hIsdWOlGM

MY GOD!!! This fix puts all games working perfectly here.  ;D ;D ;D

EDIT: the v06 keeps crashing all GSU games to me, in both modes (fast and normal).
By now, I'll keep the v5 + fix.

EDIT 2: the v5 + fix crashes after some good minutes of gameplay in Stunt Race FX. After this crash, the other games starts crashing too  :'(
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:01 AM by ThiagoRibeiro »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 15, 2018, 10:39 PM »
The fix was included in v06.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Oli

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 15, 2018, 10:44 PM »
V6 ==> Tested  8) ==> Approved  ;D   ==> No bugs à the moment, and adjusting GSU speed is fun...

Offline Deltax5

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 15, 2018, 10:59 PM »
GOing to try 06. whats the change log? it's not in the readme. Do I still need to do the fix i didn't do it before.

Offline Prock78

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 15, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Tried this latest fix but it changed nothing for me.
I was not able to play any Super FX games at all, tried V02, V03, V04, V05 and V05+fix, most of times it freezes during the intro screens, and in best cases it freezes at title screen or right after... :-(
I have a modded PAL SNES with Super CIC, and a S2DSNES rev. F
On Discord they say the problem could come from the crystal oscillator stability in the cartridge. :'(
wait other versions and if the problem continue you have to send the cart back for checking

set your snes to ntsc and use ntsc roms first

I tried with US roms in 60Hz mode, yes.
I've been having my SD2SNES for around 2 years now, more or less, and I've never had problems with it, it runs all the compatible games as far as I know, and even MSU-1 enhanced games flawlessly. It just doesn't run Super FX games, I'm not sure I could send the card back to the seller for that reason, and after that time...  :-\

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 15, 2018, 11:45 PM »
v06 is good stuff.  I wonder what else he's planning to add.  I can't think of anything it needs.  I'm thankful for all the updates, this is really cool.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #382 on: April 15, 2018, 11:50 PM »
Thanks for the great update, Redguy. Can your menu.bin be replaced with a customized menu, or is it required?

Offline redguy

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 15, 2018, 11:59 PM »
Yes a custom menu should work, but it needs to be based off the new menu.bin code if you want access to the normal/fast option for the gsu.  I have never created a customized menu file before.  If it's just hex editing/pasting in new stuff to an existing file then it should work.

Someone pointed out the menu option isn't saving and I noticed a firmware bug when reading the config file.  I'll fix that in the next version.

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 16, 2018, 12:49 AM »
I can confirm that using the dotsarecool tool to customize the menu does NOT work currently. It results in garbage at the top. Despite that and the config loading issue, wow, what an update! Star Fox feels almost right now in Normal mode, and in Fast mode, it is pretty crazy.

I think I will do a test capture in a few minutes comparing the cart and the SD2SNES side-by-side to investigate further, but I will note that in normal mode, there is still a wee bit of excessive delay between the second and third ship boosting off at the beginning of level one. It seems better than past revisions though. So I think Normal speed is still slow, but getting closer to where it should be!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:03 AM by Eyedunno »

Offline claudiosperes

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 16, 2018, 12:56 AM »
Great job Redguy !! the fast was excellent in the Doom, better than the original game !!, but in the star fox is faster than the original, a humble suggestion, could put beyond the normal speed and speed, an intermediary? I think that starfox would be ideal!, again, congratulations!  :D :D :D :D

Offline claudiosperes

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 16, 2018, 12:57 AM »
Great job Redguy !! the fast was excellent in the Doom, better than the original game !!, but in the star fox is faster than the original, a humble suggestion, could put beyond the normal speed and speed, an intermediary? I think that starfox would be ideal!, again, congratulations!

Offline nensondubois

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 16, 2018, 12:58 AM »
I can confirm that using the dotsarecool trick to customize the menu does NOT work currently. It results in garbage at the top. Despite that and the config loading issue, wow, what an update! Star Fox feels almost right now in Normal mode, and in Fast mode, it is pretty crazy.

I think I will do a test capture in a few minutes comparing the cart and the SD2SNES side-by-side to investigate further, but I will note that in normal mode, there is still a wee bit of excessive delay between the second and third ship boosting off at the beginning of level one. It seems better than past revisions though. So I think Normal speed is still slow, but getting closer to where it should be!

I've noticed the delay as well as the game not slowing down where it is "supposed" to on a normal cartridge, but for this reason I think normal setting should be called "Close to Normal" instead (not seriously). I also played Doom in fast mode and the game froze on level two upon collecting an item at the stairs where you can see the courtyard outside. Really amazing work redguyy.  :)

I also recorded a video of Star Fox running in Fast mode as of v.06 implementation.
https://youtu.be/USMigYCh-cg
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:04 AM by nensondubois »

Offline claudiosperes

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 16, 2018, 12:58 AM »
Great job Redguy !! the fast was excellent in the Doom, better than the original game !!, but in the star fox is faster than the original, a humble suggestion, could put beyond the normal speed and speed, an intermediary? I think that starfox would be ideal!, again, congratulations!

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 16, 2018, 01:32 AM »
Yes a custom menu should work, but it needs to be based off the new menu.bin code if you want access to the normal/fast option for the gsu.  I have never created a customized menu file before.  If it's just hex editing/pasting in new stuff to an existing file then it should work.

Someone pointed out the menu option isn't saving and I noticed a firmware bug when reading the config file.  I'll fix that in the next version.
based on this post, there's a guide here on how to make a theme based on redguy bin? i want my custom menu back  :( thanks