Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 201262 times)

Offline multimod

• View Profile
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #405 on: April 16, 2018, 01:03 PM »
V7 and the ram timing is the solution for older hardware revisions of the sd2snes.
Rev e1 works fine with v7.

thx for the great work!

Offline Prock78

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 16, 2018, 02:05 PM »
Check the first post for v07:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7451.msg57572#msg57572

Fixed ram timing for more ram chips with worse timing by adding additional fpga clock.
Fixed menu config save bug with gsu speed option.

If you've had problems with it not running at all give this version a try.  I will take a look at the menu editor thing.  It probably moved something in memory that the editor was modifying.

Wow!! This new v07 works really fine for me! None of the previous ones worked but this one works really great, it is awesome! Thanks a lot Redguy, you are truly amazing!!  :D

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #407 on: April 16, 2018, 03:56 PM »
V7 and the ram timing is the solution for older hardware revisions of the sd2snes.

thx for the great work!

This has nothing to do with the hardware revs at all. I have a Rev E, too and never had problems. It's a RAM problem and which was used by your vendor.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 16, 2018, 04:11 PM »

thx for the great work!

This has nothing to do with the hardware revs at all. I have a Rev E, too and never had problems. It's a RAM problem and which was used by your vendor.

'llo !
you mean it's related to the RAM chip itself ?

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 16, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Yes a custom menu should work, but it needs to be based off the new menu.bin code if you want access to the normal/fast option for the gsu.  I have never created a customized menu file before.  If it's just hex editing/pasting in new stuff to an existing file then it should work.

Someone pointed out the menu option isn't saving and I noticed a firmware bug when reading the config file.  I'll fix that in the next version.
based on this post, there's a guide here on how to make a theme based on redguy bin? i want my custom menu back  :( thanks

up

Offline nihlathak

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 16, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Wow, just wow. The SD2SNES was my first introduction to this forum and the people behind it. I would have never expected that SFX would have been possible on the SD2SNES, and redguy just fixes it like that. I want to thank you for your hard work and support for this magnificent piece of hardware. You just made my day, and I'm sure a lot of other people have had the same feeling reading through your achievements.
SD2SNES | EverDrive-GBA X5 | EverDrive-64 v3 | Mega EverDrive X7 | EverDrive-GB X7 | EverDrive N8 NES | Joyzz | PSIO

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48 PM »
Thanks for this, again, awesome work!

Anyone able to do a real test with a real cart and normal mode to check for speed? How close is it to actually have a 100% FPGA chip emulation with no slow down?
I did a test with a real cart and normal mode. This is on a Super Nt in Zero Delay mode, so it is running about one frame every ten seconds slower than a real SNES, but that should not be noticeable. Also, my SD2SNES is Rev. F.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ60_7HGtSE
I'm not sure anymore that normal mode really is faster than v.05 and before. Maybe it's my imagination or mostly my imagination.

its a bit more fast in normal mode in v07 than the v05 , look good the video , its not a imagination , but a bit more fast in v07 in normal mode , But could be slightly faster in normal mode , but in the fast mode its very fast :)  , thank you very much redguy :)
I boosted one extra time on v07 in the video though, plus I took longer to kill one enemy on v05, and that's when v07 started to look faster. Note that boosting and strategic kills make up the bulk of Star Fox speedrun strats, so I'm sort of thinking the time difference (only ~3 seconds, btw) is a fluke.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:05 PM by Eyedunno »

Offline megari

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 16, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Redguy, I noticed your v06 and v07 tags point to the same commit. Just in case you didn't notice it yourself yet.

Thank you for your hard work!

As for the memory timing issue, I really feel bad that I didn't connect the dots between some calculations I made earlier and the problems people were having. 24 MHz times 25/7 means a 70 ns PSRAM access is exactly 6 cycles, so should theoretically have been fine, but this must have been a bit too tight for some PSRAM chips. I was wondering about this at one point earlier, but then forgot about it as it seemed to work fine for me.

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 16, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks again to Redguy. This latest release is working great so far and the Fast speed option is so nice to have   :D

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #414 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37 PM »
'llo !

Yes, thats what I mean ^^

Offline EchopleX420247

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 16, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Looking forward to trying version 7.  I’ll report tonight after work.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 16, 2018, 09:31 PM »
'llo !

Yes, thats what I mean ^^

So one should start a chip list with bug report.

EDIT : post 666 !

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 16, 2018, 09:38 PM »
I have never had any problems with any of the GSU updates on mine.  I played doom up til level 6 with the speed on fastest.  I'm assuming the next updates will be to help people more with differing RAM and for custom menus.  To me, it is finished though.  I'm very happy with what Redguy has provided us and I feel we are very fortunate.

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 16, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Thx redguy for the amazing updates man.
Works absolutely sweet here.

Offline sonicjhn

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 17, 2018, 12:23 AM »
This new "GSU Speed" feature did a HUGE favor to Stunt Race FX and it's "smooth" 2 fps framerate.  ;D