Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 199418 times)

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #450 on: April 19, 2018, 05:41 AM »
The update is up, but I think it should be v08, no?
https://github.com/RedGuyyyy/sd2snes/releases/tag/gsu_v07

Fixed ram timing by adding additional fpga clock.
Fixed menu config save bug with gsu speed option.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 19, 2018, 05:49 AM »
The update is up, but I think it should be v08, no?
https://github.com/RedGuyyyy/sd2snes/releases/tag/gsu_v07

Fixed ram timing by adding additional fpga clock.
Fixed menu config save bug with gsu speed option.

odd, page says updated under half an hour ago, but files are the same as previous release.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:51 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 19, 2018, 06:15 AM »
What is Version 8 suppose to have?

Offline redguy

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 19, 2018, 06:26 AM »
I just fixed a bug with the v07 github page.  v07 is still the latest and it's unchanged.

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 19, 2018, 06:52 PM »
I installed the 07 release, and my menu has reverted back to the graffiti one? I had a custom theme until v07. What happened to the theme? Do I need to revert back on v06 to get it back? I can't stand the graffiti one.

Offline CZroe

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 19, 2018, 06:57 PM »
And if gsu is fully implemented and bug free-accurate,let him take a moment for himself.
Don't push him for sa-1,if he wants to do it,he will doing it like gsu.

I totally get the excitement for future SA-1 support in the future.

mee to :) but lets finish 100% the super fx  for accurate :)
LOL! You realize that you guys are asking for- nay, EXPECTING, something redguy never said was possible, right? If anyone is “pushing,” it’s you guys. :)

The people that have problems. Is a original sd2snes from krizz or is a alliexpress chinese sd2snes?.

Maybe can be the problem, chinese quality.
As an “open” project, any SD2SNES is technically “original.”

...not that the origin doesn’t matter. It might.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:59 PM by CZroe »

Offline ErivandoXP

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 19, 2018, 07:07 PM »
I installed the 07 release, and my menu has reverted back to the graffiti one? I had a custom theme until v07. What happened to the theme? Do I need to revert back on v06 to get it back? I can't stand the graffiti one.

Menu customizer has been updated to support the most recent gsu build! http://www.dotsarecool.com/sd2snesimg/
it should auto detect the version of your menu.bin, it still supports the non-gsu version as well.

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 19, 2018, 08:28 PM »
As an “open” project, any SD2SNES is technically “original.”

...not that the origin doesn’t matter. It might.

It's the quality of the parts that make the difference. Chinese clones use cheaper, less reliable counterparts to the ones used by Krikzz. That's why the price is cheaper, as well.

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #458 on: April 19, 2018, 08:45 PM »
It's the quality of the parts that make the difference. Chinese clones use cheaper, less reliable counterparts to the ones used by Krikzz. That's why the price is cheaper, as well.
Hmm do you have any comparisons? My chinese board has all the same components down to the surface mount resistors and pass all of the system checks. maybe I just got lucky.
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 19, 2018, 09:15 PM »
The issue with the Chinese knock-offs is that while the component on the PCB might SAY it is a certain value or rating, or even manufacturer, they very rarely are.  The sellers are able to sell the boards cheaply because instead of the higher quality, QC'd and validated parts from a reputable manufacturer that cost more money, they use counterfeit parts or parts from lower quality manufacturers.  Those parts are super cheap.

The differences can also be in the way the part functions.  The system checks will generally check to make sure the part is functioning at all, but won't check to see how they are functioning.  If program code is expecting something at Time X, but the cheap Chinese knock-off part is slower and provides it at Time Y, it can cause an error or bug that a higher quality component made board would not.

It's these types of errors which can be infuriating to those developing on a system, and also why there is no support for those knock-offs on these boards.  The guys working on these things don't want to spend their time trying to fix bugs which only exist on the counterfeit boards.

Offline marvelus10

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 19, 2018, 10:46 PM »
I had a discussion with my local electronics dealer, he explained that these cheap parts used on discounted or what we are calling counterfeit items and what we can order from China with free shipping for pennies are usually factory seconds, they may very well be made right next to the same parts that we pay regular price for.

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 19, 2018, 10:58 PM »
I had a discussion with my local electronics dealer, he explained that these cheap parts used on discounted or what we are calling counterfeit items and what we can order from China with free shipping for pennies are usually factory seconds, they may very well be made right next to the same parts that we pay regular price for.

So the guy selling you the cheap knock off stuff said it’s good to go?....

Hey, can I interest you in a really nice bridge?

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 19, 2018, 11:11 PM »
In other words, they're lower grade parts that didn't pass quality control.

To clarify a bit more, an example of this in the "legit" market would be CPUs.  Processor variants are actually typically the same chip, but manufacturing variances lead some to be able to take higher clock rates than others, so they sell the ones that don't make it through the more strenuous testing as lower-grade variants of the chip.  The same is true for many of these other parts.  They didn't make it through the benchmarks.  It doesn't mean they won't work for some applications, but they won't work as intended in edge cases.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:37 PM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 19, 2018, 11:13 PM »

Menu customizer has been updated to support the most recent gsu build! http://www.dotsarecool.com/sd2snesimg/
it should auto detect the version of your menu.bin, it still supports the non-gsu version as well.
It doesn't even do anything. You can upload it, but you can't download anything. All you can do is create one and download that.

Might as well downgrade to v6 if that's the case.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:33 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #464 on: April 20, 2018, 02:32 AM »
If you buy a clone SD2SNES, you are taking a big risk of losing MSU-1 support since those Chinese counterfeiters leave those components off to save money. You also lose forum support and your warranty. You will run into ROM problems eventually due to everything being off-spec, and they apparently have appalling track records for supporting the Super FX core.

It doesn't even do anything. You can upload it, but you can't download anything. All you can do is create one and download that.
Dotsarecool's menu tool works perfectly. It detects your firmware correctly and creates a downloadable menu.bin. I just used it to create several themes and they're perfect with Redguy's new Super FX core.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:03 AM by SmokeMonster »