Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 199419 times)

Offline GreatFunky

• View Profile
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #525 on: April 24, 2018, 08:49 PM »
I remember few years ago some people said that super fx will not be possible on sd2snes  ;D

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 24, 2018, 08:55 PM »
I remember few years ago some people said that super fx will not be possible on sd2snes  ;D

That's exactly my point. Unless someone like Ikari,  byuu,  krikzz, kevtris or redguy openly say: the sd2snes cannot do an SA-1 implementation,  accurate or inaccurate,  then it's all just hearsay.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 24, 2018, 09:41 PM »
Well that sucks, so much for Super Mario RPG and Kirby's Dream Land 3 ever being possible :-\ I'll hereto refrain from ever inquiring about SA-1 ever again. *Throws in the towel*

I'm just going to uh, take my leave.

I wouldn't completely toss it out.  Again, from what I've seen byuu say, there are a ton of features that aren't used in any commercial games on the SA1, so it may be possible to do a partial implementation of the chip that may fit.  Not that I can say that with any certainty whatsoever, of course.

I'm absolutely ecstatic with getting Super FX, though.  Even if it's just for a few games, getting Yoshi's Island working alone is worthy of praise.  Now I need to see if I can dump my old 100% save from my cart before the battery dies...

I'm not discounting Super FX being implemented, it's a very good step and lot of progress. I'm just saying SA-1 has a lot of good games too, like Super Mario RPG. I'm just not going to hold my  breath or get my hopes up for it.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 24, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Well that sucks, so much for Super Mario RPG and Kirby's Dream Land 3 ever being possible :-\ I'll hereto refrain from ever inquiring about SA-1 ever again. *Throws in the towel*

I wouldn't completely toss it out.  Again, from what I've seen byuu say, there are a ton of features that aren't used in any commercial games on the SA1, so it may be possible to do a partial implementation of the chip that may fit.  Not that I can say that with any certainty whatsoever, of course.

I'm absolutely ecstatic with getting Super FX, though.  Even if it's just for a few games, getting Yoshi's Island working alone is worthy of praise.  Now I need to see if I can dump my old 100% save from my cart before the battery dies...

I'm not discounting Super FX being implemented, it's a very good step and lot of progress. I'm just saying SA-1 has a lot of good games too, like Super Mario RPG. I'm just not going to hold my  breath or get my hopes up for it.
Ah, yeah, I agree.  I'd given up on Super FX, too; the cart was already excellent.  I own most of the SA1 games worth playing, thankfully, although Marvelous has a fan translation that I'd love to give a go on real hardware.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17 PM »

Ah, yeah, I agree.  I'd given up on Super FX, too; the cart was already excellent.  I own most of the SA1 games worth playing, thankfully, although Marvelous has a fan translation that I'd love to give a go on real hardware.

I'm not denying the cart is excellent, but the prob with carts is replacing the batteries is a pain in the butt, costly, and more wear and tear constantly ejecting and inserting carts over and over. The Super NT cart slot isn't quite flush (they do wiggle slightly, but remain stable). SA-1 would be nice, that's all, but again, not holding my breath.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 24, 2018, 11:12 PM »
EDIT: SA-1 is now supported
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:34 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 24, 2018, 11:13 PM »
I've always believed in the SD2SNES.

Well, not always. When ikari_01 first started talking about it on nesdev back in 2009 when I was using a SNES Powerpak, my reaction was more along the lines of "pssh-yeah, right". And then, a year or two later, he had some working prototypes that ran games and worked with some of the DSPs, and I was a skeptic no longer.

I took him at his word that it could handle GSU-1/2, but I was still skeptical about SA-1. People have made me hopeful off and on about it, with this thread contributing both at various times, lol. I'm still hopeful there will be a limited implementation (or several game-specific limited implementations), but I'm not holding my breath, as much as I love the SA-1 games. I consider it kind of weird that S-DD1 isn't implemented yet though. This is one where I don't even care if it's remotely accurate, just as long as it decompresses the damned graphics at least as quickly as the original chip so I can run Street Fighter Zero 2 and finally ditch the silly Neviksti Star Ocean rom. :P

Edit:
I'm not denying the cart is excellent, but the prob with carts is replacing the batteries is a pain in the butt, costly, and more wear and tear constantly ejecting and inserting carts over and over. The Super NT cart slot isn't quite flush (they do wiggle slightly, but remain stable). SA-1 would be nice, that's all, but again, not holding my breath.
I agree, and the SRAM thing is huge when it comes to SA-1. Not only does it apply to Marvelous and Super Mario RPG, but until recently, I didn't even have a way to back up the SRAM on those carts (thanks, CopySNES!). CopySNES still doesn't allow writing SRAM back to the cart, but I'm hopeful it will eventually. At that point, maybe I'll preemptively replace my Super Mario RPG and Marvelous (and probably Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius) batteries with battery holders for easy future replacment and finally feel okay about playing these games on real hardware, despite the remaining wear and tear issues you mention (hey, at least there is less of that than we used to inflict on our SNESes and carts!).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:24 PM by Eyedunno »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 25, 2018, 05:30 AM »
The Retrode still allows for dumping SRAM from both Genesis and SNES, though, right?  Hopefully DragonBox will get some in stock again soon.  It's either that, or consider using a Retron 5 for that purpose.  I think that allows both reading and writing of saves.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 25, 2018, 06:00 AM »
The Retrode still allows for dumping SRAM from both Genesis and SNES, though, right?  Hopefully DragonBox will get some in stock again soon.

Well, yeah, but the Retrode can't dump the SRAM from SA-1 (or S-DD1) games. Neither can the Super UFO Pro 8 or my Mash Mods SNES programmer. Thus my point above. Dunno about the Retron 5 (seems like a piece of junk to me, honestly), but the newest Super Nt jailbreak firmware has CopySNES, and that is what I was talking about. For the first time, I am able to dump SA-1 and S-DD1 games and their SRAM, along with Tales of Phantasia and Mega Man X2, which had also given me trouble.

I wonder if DragonBox's Retrodes suck as bad as my OG Retrode 2. The Mini USB port on mine is HORRIBLY designed, and it's hard to keep the damned cable in due to it being recessed too far inside.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:08 AM by Eyedunno »

Offline skaman

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 25, 2018, 11:07 AM »
Retrode can dump SA-1 SRAM using the Enhanced Cart Adapter with a firmware update.

I believe the Super UFO Pro 8 can do it with sanmaiwashi's firmware.

The Arduino Cart Reader can read and write SA-1 SRAM.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:09 AM by skaman »

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 25, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Retrode can dump SA-1 SRAM using the Enhanced Cart Adapter with a firmware update.

I believe the Super UFO Pro 8 can do it with sanmaiwashi's firmware.

The Arduino Cart Reader can read and write SA-1 SRAM.
Welp, don't have that Enhanced cart adapter, but the sanmaiwashi ex dumper apparently supports everything. NEAT! Don't see where it works with SRAM though; looks like just ROM. Still cool that there are so many things like this now.

Offline toadhall

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 25, 2018, 05:13 PM »
and finally ditch the silly Neviksti Star Ocean rom. :P
Wait what's silly about that? (Serious question. I've never played Star Ocean, uncompressed or otherwise.)

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 25, 2018, 05:25 PM »
and finally ditch the silly Neviksti Star Ocean rom. :P
Wait what's silly about that? (Serious question. I've never played Star Ocean, uncompressed or otherwise.)
I honestly don't get what he's saying. I have played both an original cart, the original rom on bsnes, and the uncompressed rom on sd2snes and the only difference between them that I could see is on the uncompressed rom there is a slight graphical issue with the text boxes I've noticed other than that its fine and totally playable.
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 25, 2018, 06:14 PM »
I honestly don't get what he's saying. I have played both an original cart, the original rom on bsnes, and the uncompressed rom on sd2snes and the only difference between them that I could see is on the uncompressed rom there is a slight graphical issue with the text boxes I've noticed other than that its fine and totally playable.
I never said the Neviksti hack wasn't playable. But a clean dump is not playable, and literally the only way to play it is with a hack. I'm not even saying it's a major issue, but do you deny that it is nonetheless a compatibility issue? Besides that, Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 2 remains a major issue, as there is not even a hack for that one.

When I said silly, I was being a little facetious, but it is still an extra step that would not be necessary if SD2SNES had some kind of S-DD1 compatibility.  Plus it would save a few megs on the SD card. Granted, memory is cheap (I can't even find an SD card smaller than 16 gigs in stores anymore), but I'm just saying...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:21 PM by Eyedunno »

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 25, 2018, 07:30 PM »
I never said the Neviksti hack wasn't playable. But a clean dump is not playable, and literally the only way to play it is with a hack. I'm not even saying it's a major issue, but do you deny that it is nonetheless a compatibility issue? Besides that, Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 2 remains a major issue, as there is not even a hack for that one.

When I said silly, I was being a little facetious, but it is still an extra step that would not be necessary if SD2SNES had some kind of S-DD1 compatibility.  Plus it would save a few megs on the SD card. Granted, memory is cheap (I can't even find an SD card smaller than 16 gigs in stores anymore), but I'm just saying...
Fair enough. Personally I don't mind it. As for Street Fighter Alpha 2/Zero 2 I wouldn't wanna play the snes versions anyway even if it did work on the sd2snes. Its so slow to play. Id rather either play it on mame or my ps2 version on the anthology pack. I suppose for those who don't have those options or just prefer the snes version i can see why they would want it.
All I wanna do is shred.