Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 201434 times)

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #570 on: April 28, 2018, 04:07 PM »
^looks close enough to fool anyone, that's extremely impressive!
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 28, 2018, 04:23 PM »
Yep, that is very close indeed.

Now that the speed is correct, and it works from most if not all people, and the hype is settled down, I wonder if ikari and redguy are ready to merge it to the main firmware.
He (ikari) added some 1Chip related fixes to the main firmware that I really want to try, but not yet the cheat menu.

Might me a v1.7f on the horizon.
Now we....wait...  :-X
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:27 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline tic

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 28, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Why?, is not finished, in hook option continue not working. I really apreciate many people want the 1:1  time pixel perfect syncronization with the original cartridges. But other people do not pay much attention to that when play with sd2snes and want another features back.

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 28, 2018, 07:04 PM »
I'm hoping for In-Game-Reset to be implemented for GSU-1/2. I don't like constantly using the power button on my system, I want to preserve it's functionality for as long as I possibly can.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 28, 2018, 07:10 PM »
I'm hoping for In-Game-Reset to be implemented for GSU-1/2. I don't like constantly using the power button on my system, I want to preserve it's functionality for as long as I possibly can.

This makes me thank God for my Analogue Super Nt.  In-game reset in all games with my SD2SNES plugged in :D

Anyway, I'm patiently waiting for version 9 and hopefully ikari has it final soon :)  Still waiting on ikari to implement "cheat codes" too :)

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 28, 2018, 07:13 PM »
I don't like constantly using the power button on my system, I want to preserve it's [sic] functionality for as long as I possibly can.

Relax. The power switch is trivial to replace, if you ever need to. Don't worry about wear.

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 28, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Here is another video, though this time it is not a comparison, as I think a comparison would be hard to do, but here is the level 5 boss of Yoshi's Island, showing off the enhanced rotation allowed by the GSU-2.
https://youtu.be/9x4gCWUbB0M
This was my first time fighting this guy, and I suck at platformers in general, so don't razz me too hard, but hey, um, you get to see more of the rotation effect, haha.

Edit: Wow, just watched a video of someone beating this boss competently. Can't believe it didn't occur to me that I could pound the pegs while the raven was in motion instead of having to wait for him to stop.

Sort of reminds me of my first time playing Portal 2. I got to Wheatley and somehow was under the impression that he had completely surrounded himself with the bombproof shields in his third phase. So I thought I had to juggle a bomb with some portals and then pop a portal under him when he lowered his shields so the bomb would hit him, and I did in fact beat him that way. I felt like such a dummy when I watched a video of the boss fight afterwards and saw that he was completely unguarded from the rear the whole time, haha.

Edit #2:
Here is how I feel about this. Firmware v0.1.4 was released around the same time krikzz started selling these. Here is ikari's update on this firmware at the time:
https://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/256
Note this:
Adjust Cx4 timing to be closer to the original (Mega Man now defeats the boss in attract mode in Mega Man X2; test this against some emulators for fun. ;))
Well, I did try it against some emulators, and I was amazed. And as great as GSU support already is a little over a month in, I want the best for our beloved SD2SNES. :)

My feeling is that you can do things like in-game hooks and cheat codes through emulation (and emulation is absolutely ideal for things like savestates, though I sort of wonder now if the Super Nt could do proper, emulator-like savestates on an SD card---whoa!), but accuracy requires a much more expensive, powerful machine than your typical plug-and-play emulator-in-a-box. So it's for that kind of thing that FPGA solutions shine.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:40 PM by Eyedunno »

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 28, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Here is how I feel about this. Firmware v0.1.4 was released around the same time krikzz started selling these. Here is ikari's update on this firmware at the time:

Not sure what you are getting at? Before redguy came here, I had the latest sd2snes firmware, and was able to reset all my games with the button combination "L,R,Select,X" that would take me back to main menu of sd2snes.

When redguy implemented gsu-1/2, the firmware doesn't allow the user to reset from those versions of games, back to the main menu.

So that is what I'm waiting for, to be able to exit back to the main menu via button combination in gsu-1/2 games.

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 28, 2018, 10:55 PM »

Not sure what you are getting at? Before redguy came here, I had the latest sd2snes firmware, and was able to reset all my games with the button combination "L,R,Select,X" that would take me back to main menu of sd2snes.

When redguy implemented gsu-1/2, the firmware doesn't allow the user to reset from those versions of games, back to the main menu.

So that is what I'm waiting for, to be able to exit back to the main menu via button combination in gsu-1/2 games.
I understand that. But note that firmware 0.1.4 sure as hell didn't support a button combo to reset, but it did have more accurate Cx4 support than anything else available (and the timing has actually improved even more since then). My point is that accurate timing was a high priority from very early in SD2SNES' development history.

Offline tic

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 29, 2018, 09:41 AM »
1) what i view in this log release  is ikari made a bug fix because if they not made it you can't kill the boss in atract mode, a normal thing.

2) ikari have their own preferences in development firmware, as red guy have their own preferennces in development firmware as me have mi own preferences when i write en z80 assembler for the amstrad cpc. So really this comparation with first sd2snes firmware don't have very sense for me really.

In the other hand, the only  we said is not time to merge it with official firmware because is not finished.  Is red guy  who made the decision of what feature implement first or not. If red guy want first search pixel perfect we are happy, we wait. If he search first made in hook games we hare happy too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:53 AM by tic »

Offline nihlathak

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 29, 2018, 03:11 PM »
I've been enjoying this very much, but ran into a nasty bug just moment ago.

Bug: Deleted savegame
GSU Menu version: v08
System: 2-CHIP PAL SNES with region mod (in 60Hz) I was using an after market PSU.
ROM: Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island (USA).sfc (No-Intro)
Stage: World 2, level 8
Reproducable: No
Description: I entered a room I had been in several times before. Suddenly I noticed the screen flicker for one frame, and the game was unresponsive after that. The music kept on playing correctly, but I had to soft reset the system in order to continue. After I reset the game the savegame was gone.
SD2SNES | EverDrive-GBA X5 | EverDrive-64 v3 | Mega EverDrive X7 | EverDrive-GB X7 | EverDrive N8 NES | Joyzz | PSIO

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 29, 2018, 05:03 PM »
1) what i view in this log release  is ikari made a bug fix because if they not made it you can't kill the boss in atract mode, a normal thing.

You don't kill anything in attract mode. Attract mode is the demo that runs automatically before you start playing the game. You would never notice he doesn't kill the boss unless you run the game and just watch for a few minutes without pressing a button. Like I said, it doesn't work right in any emulator, but that doesn't keep people from playing Mega Man X2 in emulators. A lot of people probably play it all the time in emulators and have never even noticed it's not accurate!

If you play the game, you can kill the boss just fine, because you can adapt if the timing is off by a few frames. It's pretty much EXACTLY the same situation as with the timing of these GSU games.

Edit: Another thing about this concern about in-game hooks that puzzles me is: aren't in-game hooks working again? It was my understanding that they were only shut off for GSU games. If my understanding is right, how major of an issue is that, really? Aren't there other games where the in-game hooks never worked anyway? According to the website, the buttons don't work in Final Fight 2, and in-game hooks don't work at all in at least 3 other games.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:31 PM by Eyedunno »

Offline FartPuff

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 30, 2018, 07:52 PM »
PSA for Analogue Super NT + SD2SNES

reset game:
Tap [↑] + [select]

write saves to SD card and reset to SD2SNES menu:
Hold [↑] + [select] for 3 seconds
retroUSB AVS / EverDrive N8 / Analogue Super NT / SAG SD2SNES Pro ( Mk. III Rev. B ) / SNES collection

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 30, 2018, 09:09 PM »
PSA for Analogue Super NT + SD2SNES

reset game:
Tap [↑] + [select]

write saves to SD card and reset to SD2SNES menu:
Hold [↑] + [select] for 3 seconds
Doesn't work for me. Is it because I changed the button setting to Start+Select+↑?  ;)

Online Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 30, 2018, 09:17 PM »

You're completely mistaken.  The In-Game Hooks STILL work for all non-GSU roms!  This was fixed several versions ago.  Correct, for the GSU games, it's currently disabled and saving to SD is currently hampered.  Those features work for other games.  Given that GSU games did not even work prior to redguy, what's the beef?  Furthermore, why are you using the power switch?  If you hold reset button up, it returns to the SD2SNES menu.