Author Topic: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]  (Read 199411 times)

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
Re: gsu (superfx) support [work in progress]
« Reply #615 on: May 02, 2018, 11:29 PM »
^Yikes, chill out and don't let the comments get to you like this.  :o
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 02, 2018, 11:42 PM »
Thanks for your hard work!  8)

Defending NOBODY's strong and immature, sophomoric comment doesn't help either.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:45 PM by the_randomizer »

Offline Ramsis

• Rawr ~~~
    • View Profile
    • ROOOAAARRRR :D
« Reply #617 on: May 02, 2018, 11:53 PM »
Thanks indeed, redguy, as any progress is better than no progress at all. :D

Timing of v8 (haven't had the time to install and try v9 yet) seems to be way off though.

Just try Vortex (any region) and see how the logo explosion is totally out of sync with audio, as opposed to a real cart (whether it be NTSC or PAL), that is, unless in GSU "fast mode". So IMHO, your "fast mode" is really normal GSU speed, and your "normal mode" is simply useless :D

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 03, 2018, 12:25 AM »
Thanks indeed, redguy, as any progress is better than no progress at all. :D

Timing of v8 (haven't had the time to install and try v9 yet) seems to be way off though.

Just try Vortex (any region) and see how the logo explosion is totally out of sync with audio, as opposed to a real cart (whether it be NTSC or PAL), that is, unless in GSU "fast mode". So IMHO, your "fast mode" is really normal GSU speed, and your "normal mode" is simply useless :D
Hi Ramsis! I may remember you from your Powerpak stuff.

Fast mode actually is faster than real hardware though, as demonstrated in Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, and Doom (with most of us seeming to prefer how Doom runs in fast mode compared to the real cart). I don't know if Vortex has some kind of speed throttle that makes fast mode look right, while regular speed is too slow, but lots of things are currently complicated.

The credits on Star Fox run about 15 seconds too slow in normal mode. However, the speed of stages 1 and 2 are almost right, as demonstrated by some videos I put up earlier in this thread. Meanwhile, I saw another video showing Yoshi's Island runs a little too fast under certain circumstances (original cart experiences some slowdown, while SD2SNES does not).

I think it's fair to say that the GSU firmware is in most (but not all) respects better than SNES9X and Canoe, but it's only been out for what? 6 weeks? ikari_01 has updated Cx4 timing at least four times since 2012 by my count, even though it was already pretty good in 2012.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #619 on: May 03, 2018, 12:35 AM »
Thanks for the excellent update, Redguy  8)

To those wondering why he (and other devs) distribute test builds in Discord; it's because there are extremely knowledgeable people there ready to do serious testing. That prevents publicly releasing an update that breaks things.

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 03, 2018, 01:46 AM »
I just tested the ingame reset (in game hooks feature) on gsu v9 with all 9 Super FX games and it works on every single game.

The only anamolies with how it works being Star Fox 2 and Winter Gold as I seemingly have to hold L + R + select + X for a few extra moments to trigger it to take me back to the menu which is really no big deal.

All in all I echo everyone else who has said Redguy's work has been awesome and nothing short of phenomenal.

If gsu v9 ended up being the final version I personally wouldn't be able to say I was dissatisfied with it.

Its great, incredible work he's done here.

Edit: To further clarify I tested it on the Analog Super NT with the latest firmware for the console and since I'm an American I'm wasn't using PAL settings for it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:01 AM by protheanbeacon »
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline sonicjhn

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 03, 2018, 01:52 AM »
Here the in-game reset didn't worked on gsu-2 games (Doom and Yoshi's Island).

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 03, 2018, 02:59 AM »
Gotta be honest, I used the in-game reset a fair amount for Super Metroid randos (e.g. to leave Wrecked Ship E-tank or the right side of Gauntlet if there was nothing there, as reverting back to the savepoint is faster than running back), but as soon as I got the Super Nt and realized how good its hotkey combos were, I turned it off and haven't gone back. I'd rather have better compatibility, so I think I will sit out testing this particular update, as I always considered the in-game hooks a little questionable even when I was using them.

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #623 on: May 03, 2018, 04:39 AM »
Defending NOBODY's strong and immature, sophomoric comment doesn't help either.
Where did I defend it? Try ignoring it.
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 03, 2018, 05:56 AM »
Gotta be honest, I used the in-game reset a fair amount for Super Metroid randos (e.g. to leave Wrecked Ship E-tank or the right side of Gauntlet if there was nothing there, as reverting back to the savepoint is faster than running back), but as soon as I got the Super Nt and realized how good its hotkey combos were, I turned it off and haven't gone back. I'd rather have better compatibility, so I think I will sit out testing this particular update, as I always considered the in-game hooks a little questionable even when I was using them.

Yeah I love the in-game features of my Analogue Super Nt.  I sold my original SNES complete in box for as much $ as it cost me to replace it with the Analogue Super Nt, after ebay/paypal fees.  Never going to use original hardware again lol.

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 03, 2018, 09:45 AM »

Thanks, but I am chill! I think pestering people, especially ones developing is a bummer, but everyone should be treated with respect on here. This forum has always (thanks a ton Smokemonster and others!) helped me when I've had a problem with my EDs, and everyone has always been polite on here, even when "stupid" questions are asked. I think this new Super FX chip add on has driven a lot of new people here, which is great, but also, if anyone, new or old, gets a little rude, we need to stand up to them.

Be polite, be clear, but don't let anyone come here and call people names. There's plenty of other places out there for that!

One more time, thanks to Redguy for doing this, so very cool!

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 03, 2018, 11:51 AM »
v9 is great! I'm able to reset out of StarFox & Yoshi's Island! So awesome!

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 03, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Looks like version 10 is going to fix powerslide.  I'll patiently wait :)  Really cool stuff.

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 03, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Looks like version 10 is going to fix powerslide.  I'll patiently wait :)  Really cool stuff.

No need to wait: https://www8.zippyshare.com/v/4sG7go1G/file.html

I built an unofficial one including the Power Slide fix and also ikari_01's prototype 1CHIP brightness fix (fixes Capcom games, A.S.P., etc. on 1CHIPs).
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 03, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Thank you for that.
I invite you to the discord chat, there are very knowledgeable people there (including ikari, redguy, kevtris, and others), you obviously got the skill.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.