Author Topic: GBA Game Performance Issues  (Read 7816 times)

Offline EverStranger

• View Profile
Re: GBA Game Performance Issues
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 11:15 PM »
Issues of conflicts caused by differences in the hardware and the real cart isn't new, any such difference has the potential to cause a problem in a game. In this case I think it's a limitation of flashcart design in general (unless you can specify how much of the rom should be accessible), and an assumption that a game never accesses the area outside the rom, which it shouldn't do but is able to do.

Rather than a memory leak, it's just a bug that does something that's not supposed to happen, and the behaviour of a real cart and the EDGBA is different. The game accidentally (due to a bug) tries to access space that doesn't exist on the real cart, but on the EDGBA it's the unused, but still accessible, part of the rom. The EDGBA must have a larger rom area or larger games wouldn't be able to run.

So I suppose other flashcarts (ezflash) would also have the same issue if they have more space available than the official cart?
It's a bit over my head, but would a flashcart that can utilize and place the game in NOR memory have the same issue, or would the space access somehow differ and read as more finite like the original cart?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: GBA Game Performance Issues
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 12:06 AM »
1. I think so.
2. No I don't think it matters what type of rom it is, read access is the same (or else the rom couldn't be used since both the GBA and the game itself needs to be able to read from it). What matters is probably address decoding (it needs open bus behaviour for the invalid address range), but that's over my head as well.