Author Topic: New EZ Omega is better than X5?  (Read 19418 times)

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: New EZ Omega is better than X5?
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2019, 10:49 PM »
Coming soon :o

Yeah, I understand this is a Krikzz forum, but not sure why people are recommending the X5 so vehemently when it seems the only benefit it has over the EZO is better battery life (I'll be using my DS and GBASP for this so I can always recharge the batteries before fully drained) and better build quality. Plus it will cost $40-50 more. Can someone who owns both chime in? I want to order soon as I'll be leaving on a relatively long trip and my only form of gaming will probably be with this flash cart.
Well,  the EZFLash Omega clocks drifts over time considerably by several minutes. Also if the EZOmega malfunctions after 6 months can you get an almost free replacement/fix from your chinese seller? I guess not.

Looks awfully like the X5, I don't know how it seems to be smaller as it still has the huge top area for the extra stuff. I think a huge selling point would be if someone managed to advance the SNESAdvance support feature. I know the X5 had native for Game Gear, NES and Master System but as from what I managed to re-create to make SNES games actually work better on a GBA this is a must and would be vastly superior as a selling point.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2019, 11:23 PM »

Yeah, I understand this is a Krikzz forum, but not sure why people are recommending the X5 so vehemently when it seems the only benefit it has over the EZO is better battery life (I'll be using my DS and GBASP for this so I can always recharge the batteries before fully drained) and better build quality. Plus it will cost $40-50 more. Can someone who owns both chime in? I want to order soon as I'll be leaving on a relatively long trip and my only form of gaming will probably be with this flash cart.
Well,  the EZFLash Omega clocks drifts over time considerably by several minutes. Also if the EZOmega malfunctions after 6 months can you get an almost free replacement/fix from your chinese seller? I guess not.

Looks awfully like the X5, I don't know how it seems to be smaller as it still has the huge top area for the extra stuff. I think a huge selling point would be if someone managed to advance the SNESAdvance support feature. I know the X5 had native for Game Gear, NES and Master System but as from what I managed to re-create to make SNES games actually work better on a GBA this is a must and would be vastly superior as a selling point.

It's defnitely smaller (see attachment)... The difference is that chips have been moved to both front and back of the card. In attachement i've put the new model over the "X5" in the same picture. Its obvious size comparison photo, comparing new model to the X5.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2019, 11:27 PM »
If you look around you can find the Omega for $20-$30 including shipping. I don't expect it to be anywhere the build quality of the $100-$120 X5.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2019, 11:59 PM »

It's defnitely smaller (see attachment)... The difference is that chips have been moved to both front and back of the card. In attachement i've put the new model over the "X5" in the same picture. Its obvious size comparison photo, comparing new model to the X5.

But it wasn't the circuit board I am talking about. It was the top part, the mostly known as Yoshi Topsy-Turvy stylized shell which had that top area that a lot didn't like as it poked out the bottom when used on GBA SP's. Maybe I am seeing things wrong and that circuit board wont have the Yoshi styled shell and will be a standard GBA cart size?

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2019, 03:01 AM »
The X5 has a Boktai style case, which is about the same size as Yoshi Topsy Turvy Case, or Drill Dozer case. You can see that case on the lower board because that is an x5 being compared to two top images, which are the front and back of the new EDGBA model.

The new board 1/3 less than the original X5 as we can see if you put the board on top of the older board... Which means most of the top shell (which you can see in X5) sticks out above the new board. So a new shell will have to be made for this new board, and it will be much closer to fitting snug on a standard GBA.

For better comparison it would be helpful to look at an actual GBA cartridge board (here is a fake vs real cart comparison) image:

As you can see the general board shape on the new board (upper boards being compared next to the x5) is about the same shape and size as an actual standard GBA cartridge board, even has that little U shaped indentation in the middle where the screw goes.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:03 AM by Galron »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2019, 04:10 AM »
Oh I'm seeing it now. The circuit board chips have all been lowered down as opposed to the wider sized X5 had them on that Topsy-Turvy type part. I guess it's anyone's guess if the cart will be GBA sized and not Yoshi styled this time.

Post changed:

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2019, 06:06 AM »
If you look around you can find the Omega for $20-$30 including shipping. I don't expect it to be anywhere the build quality of the $100-$120 X5.

The difference is that the Omega is machine assembled and everdrives are human assembled.

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2019, 06:09 AM »

Every post you make you have to mention SNESadvance. Lol
It's never going to be any good. The GBA doesn't have the power, the resolution or the buttons.
Nobody cares about it, man. It's only ever going to be an experiment, it will never be usable.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2019, 06:38 AM »

It's never going to be any good. The GBA doesn't have the power, the resolution or the buttons.
Nobody cares about it, man. It's only ever going to be an experiment, it will never be usable.

Yeah... no one will care about it as it needed time and effort to work...

Also guess these 4 imgur links really don't show progress do they?

https://imgur.com/a/lpxsOam

https://imgur.com/a/EFVLq5l

https://imgur.com/a/KW8jkJP

https://imgur.com/a/j3vH4Jb

The first image is the premade one the other is the correction

Post changed:

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2019, 11:55 AM »

A bunch of screen shots don't change the 6fps, no sound, cut off screen and physical lack of 2 buttons.
It.
Will.
Not.
Work.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Even the Nintendo DS lacks the power to Run Snes prolerly, you were needed to change background layers manually.

Don't take us wrong, it is still impressive to see it trying to run them but from a practical point of view it don't work.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2019, 02:42 PM »

A bunch of screen shots don't change the 6fps, no sound, cut off screen and physical lack of 2 buttons.
It.
Will.
Not.
Work.

What if I could revive how the old devs managed to make those speed hacks, what if someone could make a GBA variant of the SNES sound chip kind of like how the PCEAdvance had that mixer feature that used GBA audio to compensate for the lack of decent sound emulation, what if I could make it so that every game could use the same style as how Nintendo did those ports for the SNES to GBA games having the camera follow the sprite instead of those badly decided premade following games that make the screen go up everytime somone jumps, and as for the lack of buttons they were already assigned to be set to have multiple ones for example to play a multi button game like Castlevania IV it is possible to set the ingame buttons to be these...

Y = B
B = A
X = L
A = R
L = L
R = R
Start = Start
Select = Select

Accessed by pressing A, B, Start and Select at the same time and mostly useful for Super Castlevania IV

Though to back up my words I once even did this - https://www.sendspace.com/file/f9m0dq

So yeah if you can manage to play the above on your X5 there is huge potential, I wouldn't sell the idea short as of yet.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 02:58 PM by Richardragon87 »

Post changed:

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2019, 02:59 PM »
Someone got Wolfenstien 3D to work on Gameboy color...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/19/wolfenstein-3d-ported-to-game-boy-color-on-turbocharged-cart/

But it actually took putting a seperate CPU on the custom cartridge they made.

Technically if you did something like a Super Gameboy where the entire gameboy system is put into a cartridge, you might get it to 'work' partially.  Sure if you had a large enough and fast enough FPGA on a flashcart, and that flashcart FPGA could 'be a SNES' hardware/cpu/graphics processing, and just pass the video and sound through the speaker, and screen, then it might be possible to 'see' the game played on a GBA.

However, that woudl still leave the problem of 'not enough buttons'.... THere are a handful of SNES games that don't utilize all the buttons anyways, so those would probably be able to be played on the system if buttons are mapped properly. But most of the  best games utilize all the buttons, and there simply aren't enough on the system. One way to possibly get around that is do 'combo button' pushes, but that could cause problems itself like being overly complicated, and having actions you don't want to do happen before before you can pull of a combo.

Also dealing with an FPGA and other hardware that could handle this? Probably extremely expensive... at least $200... the other issue is it would have to be essentially an extremely shrunken down Mister or Super NT basically, and that might not be feasible on a GBA size cart, even if you made a special cart that stuck out as much as needed (for example something closer to the Warioware Twisted cart, or larger)...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:02 PM by Galron »

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Someone got Wolfenstien 3D to work on Gameboy color...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/19/wolfenstein-3d-ported-to-game-boy-color-on-turbocharged-cart/

But it actually took putting a seperate CPU on the custom cartridge they made.

Technically if you did something like a Super Gameboy where the entire gameboy system is put into a cartridge, you might get it to 'work' partially.  Sure if you had a large enough and fast enough FPGA on a flashcart, and that flashcart FPGA could 'be a SNES' hardware/cpu/graphics processing, and just pass the video and sound through the speaker, and screen, then it might be possible to 'see' the game played on a GBA.

However, that woudl still leave the problem of 'not enough buttons'.... THere are a handful of SNES games that don't utilize all the buttons anyways, so those would probably be able to be played on the system if buttons are mapped properly. But most of the  best games utilize all the buttons, and there simply aren't enough on the system. One way to possibly get around that is do 'combo button' pushes, but that could cause problems itself like being overly complicated, and having actions you don't want to do happen before before you can pull of a combo.

Also dealing with an FPGA and other hardware that could handle this? Probably extremely expensive... at least $200... the other issue is it would have to be essentially an extremely shrunken down Mister or Super NT basically, and that might not be feasible on a GBA size cart, even if you made a special cart that stuck out as much as needed (for example something closer to the Warioware Twisted cart, or larger)...

But at that point you are no longer using the actual original hardware.
You could make a cart that runs PC games and just passes video and sound down to the GBA, but I wouldn't be interested in that shit :-)

Offline bola

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Well they put a segacd in a FPGA on a cart and people lapped it up

if the FPGA in the cartridge has room in it for other cores.. have at it I say. Probably the SNES is a bit ambitious though.