Author Topic: New EZ Omega is better than X5?  (Read 19834 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: New EZ Omega is better than X5?
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2019, 08:41 PM »
Someone got Wolfenstien 3D to work on Gameboy color...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/19/wolfenstein-3d-ported-to-game-boy-color-on-turbocharged-cart/

But it actually took putting a seperate CPU on the custom cartridge they made.

Technically if you did something like a Super Gameboy where the entire gameboy system is put into a cartridge, you might get it to 'work' partially.  Sure if you had a large enough and fast enough FPGA on a flashcart, and that flashcart FPGA could 'be a SNES' hardware/cpu/graphics processing, and just pass the video and sound through the speaker, and screen, then it might be possible to 'see' the game played on a GBA.

However, that woudl still leave the problem of 'not enough buttons'.... THere are a handful of SNES games that don't utilize all the buttons anyways, so those would probably be able to be played on the system if buttons are mapped properly. But most of the  best games utilize all the buttons, and there simply aren't enough on the system. One way to possibly get around that is do 'combo button' pushes, but that could cause problems itself like being overly complicated, and having actions you don't want to do happen before before you can pull of a combo.

Also dealing with an FPGA and other hardware that could handle this? Probably extremely expensive... at least $200... the other issue is it would have to be essentially an extremely shrunken down Mister or Super NT basically, and that might not be feasible on a GBA size cart, even if you made a special cart that stuck out as much as needed (for example something closer to the Warioware Twisted cart, or larger)...

But at that point you are no longer using the actual original hardware.
You could make a cart that runs PC games and just passes video and sound down to the GBA, but I wouldn't be interested in that shit :-)

Yes that's more or less what things like Super Gameboy and Gameboy Player are... just alternate hardware put into a cartridge or add-on to 'pass through' a different hardware. There is an attachment you can get to run Sega games on a Super Nintendo for example. Same sort of thing, although that one requires a seperate sound cable for sound IIRC. I'm not sure if that device uses emulation or FPGA though (but is some kind of clone). THere is also that Wideboy 64 for N64 that allows people to play GB games on N64.

Even flashcarts are using 'FPGA" so are technically very different from the original hardware they were running on, they are only 'replicating' the original hardware. But that's different use of FPGA than using FPGA to run a competitors hardware, or even earlier generation hardware.

On some level 'custom chips' SNES used were a similar method, in that they used 'new hardware' (non stock hardware) in order to get new features to work on the system. Be it more like additional CPUs or video or sound features. FPGA can be seen as the new 'custom chip'... MSU-1 is another new 'custom chip' more or less (allowing CD sound and video streams in games).

As for PC on GBA... there a few PC to GBA emulation programs out there... Such as GBAGI... Probably not enough power or memory to do something like full ScummVM though...

https://www.zophar.net/consoles/gameboy/agi.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:52 PM by Galron »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2019, 09:02 PM »
But at that point you are no longer using the actual original hardware.
You could make a cart that runs PC games and just passes video and sound down to the GBA, but I wouldn't be interested in that shit :-)

That's my exact response when someone says that the processor of running Super Nintendo Games was so worst off on GBA they would likely would be more used to playing it on a Raspberry Pi or a Linux processor though of course we have always lived in a world where accuracy is a thing and due to the fact it was never finished due to the Nintendo DS coming out there no further progress to fix every game to run on a GBA.

It also didn't help with the forsaken ports that Nintendo brought out which would bleach out the colors, scale into the screen way to much and overall give the games a really bad audio chip, as of what I have seen of them running on a AGS-101 screen there was huge potential to see how capable a GBA could run there games. It only needed certain values altered and I did a lot of research on it elsewhere.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2019, 09:08 PM »
Of course with romhacking its possible to at least restore the color, but possibly improve the 'sound chip' quality as well. Use less compressed sound, since there is plenty of extra space to deal with (on a flashcart).

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2019, 09:33 PM »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2019, 09:38 PM »
Then there is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar9WRwCiSr0

Seeing that reminds me how mind blowing it was for those old NES to SNES games that were made many years ago which kind of resembled a vintage trainer complete with a menu and had either a replaced sound track or no sound track at all, so seeing NES games like Star Force, Burger Time and some others running on a real hardware SNES was mind-blowing back in the day!

And if I remember correctly they were made by Anthrox which even all those years back it goes without saying NES games could have worked on a SNES... just look up the game "BurgerTime (A&S NES Hack)" for example and try it. Am not sure if it exists on later packs but as I run an older one it clearly exists in the Hacks folder of the Super Famicom/Super Nintendo pack by Smoke Monster dated back in the 2010's but it should exist in later sets too.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:16 AM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!