Author Topic: New EZ Omega is better than X5?  (Read 24657 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: New EZ Omega is better than X5?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 06:09 PM »
"You're probably reading the wrong feature into it. There is no way to have a single game in memory, the card will always have to go trough the menu"

Unless its able to fake a header (shows up in the system as header of whatever you keep primary in the NOR)... maybe...

Potentially couldn't they just have something in the O/S, skip to auto load the game? Something similar to how old DS used to have a setting that would skip from menu directly into the game, if you have hte feature flagged? But put the boot up right into the cartridge itself, an a way to bypass it?

What is confusing about it is they had a feature with the same term/name in the list of features for the 3in1.

I wish someone would ask them more clearly what the option is there fore, and its full purpose?

http://www.ezflash.cn/product/ez-flash-3-in-1/

NDS Lite compatible
Extension memory support
Browser compatible
Third-party flash card compatible
128Mbit PSRAM
256Mbit Nor-Flash
Rumble support
GBA game direct boot

Autoboot/direct boot used to be more common... under certain conditions in older flashcarts.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/auto-boot-load-a-single-rom-file-from-gba-cart.428994/

Going by that, one possibility is that maybe once you flash a game to NOR, then remove the SD card, maybe it would bypass the menu altogether, and load directly from the NOR. I wish they'd explain what "Direct Boot" actually means more clearly.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:28 PM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Can you confirm if the "direct boot" is similar to the one that was on the 3in1/EZ-F V combo? Or am I reading that wrong, or reading too much into it?
You're probably reading the wrong feature into it. There is no way to have a single game in memory, the card will always have to go trough the menu.

The shell of the Omega has a decent quality, it's a lot more sturdy than the old EZ-Flash IV shell - but it's a tight fit inside a GBA SP in particular (Gameboy Micro and a regular GBA seem to be less of an issues in this regard) But then again, for me flashcards are a kind of cartridge that pretty much stay inside the system all the time.

That said, I don't have an EDGBA to compare it to in terms of build quality, but judging from my EDGB and ED64 the build quality of the X5 should be higher

EDIT: I wonder of Krikzz is now considering an EDGBA X7 with similar features and smaller size.

Well, the X5's shell quality is really robust... Other than some tightness in my replacement case (the initial case had a crack in the back side). It feels like same quality as case used for Boktai games... There is possibility of stripping the screw though (which I discovered happened to the case I was replacing), which hopefully can be improved upon in future iterations.

If Krikkz announces a x7 with similar options, or even better or more optins, I certainly would go for it, over the EZ Flash . I'm very happy with his products I've used so far.

I'm certainly going to wait it out for a while before I  buy any new GBA flashcart.

Offline overtrash

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Little comparison of summary:https://imgur.com/a/RXQUJ1J
GB X5/Smart Card 64M/GBA X5/N8 Famicom/Krzysiocart(Polish flashcart)/Super Ufo 8/ SD2SNES(E.1)/ED64-v2.5/ED MD v3.0/Supercard DSTWO/ Sky3DS+/And packs of R4 in variations, as well as Ackeards too.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Ya, no way I'd sell my X5 just yet. It works nearly flawlessly, and no having to patch anything. Too much to go 'wrong' with the method EZ-Flash uses.

for me flashcards are a kind of cartridge that pretty much stay inside the system all the time.

Well I run two flashcards at least... GB/GBC EDGB X7 and X5 for GBA games. Emulation quality is just not that good to run all on the same flashcard.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:42 PM by Galron »

Offline MasterBuller

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Couldn't care less about the save states or the cheats function, if I would still need a patching program in order to get the roms working and even that the loading times are high and don't have RTC support, the Ez Flash is yet to top the ED GBA
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:10 PM by MasterBuller »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 07:59 PM »
even that the loading times are high and don't hace RTC support

This has RTC support, and around the same loading speed as the EDGBA X5, less than 3 seconds.

In fact the RTC is better than the ED-GBA in it can provision different times for each game, and maintain multiple clock data. One game won't erase the clock data for another game.

The patching system on this new one is done by the flash card itself at the same time it loads the game in that less than 3 second window, not something you have to manually do yourself in a seperate computer program like on older EZ Flash models, but its mainly for for cheats options and convert some of the save options to be comptatible with its save technology.

Otherwise I agree not having to even be concerned that a game 'patched' correctly is much better feature on the EDGBA X5. Drag and drop clean roms, and don't have to worry that the files get corrupted by bad patching.

Its different than the EZ-Flash Reform model. I mixed the two up at first too.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:08 PM by Galron »

Offline MasterBuller

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 08:18 PM »
Just watched the video, it indeed looks superior to the ED GBA, but I couldn't avoid noticing that some people had heavy energy draining issues
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:45 PM by MasterBuller »

Offline MasterBuller

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 09:28 PM »
And what about the compability? ED GBA has near 100%, but can't seem to find any info about the EZO, only that the GBC emulation is a hit or miss with that cartridge

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 10:39 PM »
The more features you push onto a flash card, the more they will drain. Especially if a flash card has some kind of processor to do its 'magic'.

But apparently the drain is improved on the Omega over the drain that the Reform had... Reform was apparently much worse.

But Krikkz is still better on that front.

And what about the compability? ED GBA has near 100%, but can't seem to find any info about the EZO, only that the GBC emulation is a hit or miss with that cartridge

I think previous EZ Flashes were roughly 90% or more for compatiblity... But part of the problem was they had less PSRAM than the equivalent memory on the X5 (for larger games, and games that needed larger saves), that's fixed on the Omega.  But beyond that compatiblity is still going to come down to system correcting patching the files to work with the flash card's memory, and that's something X5 doesn't have to bother with.

I want to know what "direct boot" is, and how well the patch abilities work, and how well save states work before I decide on this new device though... Hopefully, Krikkz will be motivated to announce his own competition as well.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:43 PM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 10:52 PM »
I tried to sign up to EZFlash's website in order to ask questions but their captcha is broken...

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 12:02 AM »
And what about the compability? ED GBA has near 100%, but can't seem to find any info about the EZO.
Compatibility is near 100%, too. Some games might have issues with the reset/cheat/savestate function but you can always "clean boot" games without patches if a game has issues.

Even the reform had near 100% compatibility (I am not sure where some of your numbers like 90% come from, tbh.)

manually patching ROMs hasn't been a thing for almost a year now, EZ-Flash has implemented automatic on-the-card patching for the EZ-Flash IV and Reform last year.

@Galron: the ezflash team is active on the GBA section of gbatemp.net under the moniker "EZ-Flash2". If you have an account there, you can drop your questions there.

Edit: regarding power consumption - yes, the Omega is still rather thirsty. I did a benchmark and I was able to run a rom for just shy of 6hours o my gba SP.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:51 AM by Localhorst86 »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 09:50 AM »
I was looking at the lists for pre-reform (so it didn't apply to Reform) compatiblity lists that are online. Quite a few games that worked on EDGBA x5 would not work on the earlier versons of EzFlash, ... at least not without some hacking/patching, at least according to those lists (but who knows how accurate they were). The main issues people were pointing to was large game file sizes being a problem, but that's one reason the NOR was there in the first place IIRC? And issues with certain game saves files.

Reform itself doesn't look like a bad flash cart, except for its lack of RTC, and its a bit slower.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:52 AM by Galron »

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 09:57 AM »
I was looking at the lists for pre-reform (so it didn't apply to Reform) compatiblity lists that are online. Quite a few games that worked on EDGBA x5 would not work on the earlier versons of EzFlash... at least not without some hacking/patching. The main issues people were pointing to was large game file sizes being a problem, but that's one reason the NOR was there in the first place IIRC? And issues with certain game saves files.

Reform itself doesn't look like a bad flash cart, except for its lack of RTC, and its a bit slower.

Some games required a "reset" before launching the ROM on the EZ-Flash IV and Reform (like yoshis Island), but there were ways to invoke this manually and at with firmware version 2.02 they introduced a config setting to make this behaviour the default (Modified kernels already did this way before that).

Just out of curiousity: What compatibility list did you check?

Larger games needed to be written to the NOR which can take a few minutes but load instantly once they are on it.

Still, compatibility is pretty much 100% on the EZ-Flash IV, Reform, Omega and EDGBA X5. (I know the 512Mbit GBA Video Releases are incompatible with the EZ-Flash cards, most likely with the EDGBA X5 as well.)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 01:22 PM »
I dont' remember exact sites, to be honest I just googled "EZ-Flash compatibliy lists".

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing™ inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 06:01 AM »
Well... EDGBA X5 has better build quality, less energy consumption and full support and replacement if something fails
Ez Flash Omega is smaller and cheaper, I guess the people who wanted the cartridge to sit flush in the console will choose the EZ Flash.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.