Author Topic: New EZ Omega is better than X5?  (Read 24656 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: New EZ Omega is better than X5?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2018, 01:27 PM »
And what about the compability? ED GBA has near 100%, but can't seem to find any info about the EZO.
Compatibility is near 100%, too. Some games might have issues with the reset/cheat/savestate function but you can always "clean boot" games without patches if a game has issues.

Even the reform had near 100% compatibility (I am not sure where some of your numbers like 90% come from, tbh.)

manually patching ROMs hasn't been a thing for almost a year now, EZ-Flash has implemented automatic on-the-card patching for the EZ-Flash IV and Reform last year.

@Galron: the ezflash team is active on the GBA section of gbatemp.net under the moniker "EZ-Flash2". If you have an account there, you can drop your questions there.

Edit: regarding power consumption - yes, the Omega is still rather thirsty. I did a benchmark and I was able to run a rom for just shy of 6hours o my gba SP.

Localhurst, as I don't really actively post at GBAtemp, is there any chance you could ask the team on our behalf, to clear up any misunderstanding as to what the "direct boot" feature is intended to do/purpose?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:28 PM by Galron »

Offline MasterBuller

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2018, 09:46 PM »
I think we'll just have to wait while some people sacrifices their wallets so they can discover if it's an improvement or just a good try

Offline slaphappygamer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2018, 01:32 AM »
The fact that saving does not rely on a battery is nice

Offline JCR1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2018, 03:27 AM »
I bet that the actual everdrive gba x5 can have more features and improvements in firmware updates but krikzz is very busy developing for several everdrives.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2018, 07:33 PM »
I doubt hte features would be added 'software/firmware' side. Although in theory it might be possible to add such features through software alone (as I think was the case for some ds R4 flashcarts, which added 'save states' in a later firmware update I think). Could third party custom firmware be an option? Who knows...

Also I doubt Krikkz would do a software method additions when he can split the systems up into different types, and charge for each one....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:35 PM by Galron »

Offline overtrash

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Well... EDGBA X5 has better build quality, less energy consumption and full support and replacement if something fails
Ez Flash Omega is smaller and cheaper, I guess the people who wanted the cartridge to sit flush in the console will choose the EZ Flash.
Indeed! Shell size is a big plus of this flashcart!
GB X5/Smart Card 64M/GBA X5/N8 Famicom/Krzysiocart(Polish flashcart)/Super Ufo 8/ SD2SNES(E.1)/ED64-v2.5/ED MD v3.0/Supercard DSTWO/ Sky3DS+/And packs of R4 in variations, as well as Ackeards too.

Online Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Localhurst, as I don't really actively post at GBAtemp, is there any chance you could ask the team on our behalf, to clear up any misunderstanding as to what the "direct boot" feature is intended to do/purpose?

I figured out what you mean by direct boot, you're referring to the option "direct boot" referenced in the manuals nor section. This option is just the boot option for the games in nor. When you launch a game via PSRAM, you can select between "clean boot" and "boot addon". The latter will enable extended features like cheats and save states.

When writing a game to NOR you can only select "direct boot" which will launch the game from NOR.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2018, 10:28 PM »
TBH the X5's shell size is not that big... or obtrusive.... It's roughly the same size as GBA games that have motion control like Yoshi's Topsy Turvy, or the Boktai games. Nothing as bulk as the classic Gameboy sized shells.

I barely notice it, and only if I'm looking at it..

Offline Theta55

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2018, 10:41 PM »
Does link cable still work with this?

Offline MasterBuller

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2018, 12:07 AM »
GBAx5 supports link cable without a problem, even the GC link, and even using it through Nintendont with native controlers toggled on

Online Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2018, 01:48 AM »

Yes. This includes the EZ-Flash omega and reform as well as the EDGBA 5X. Reportedly, GCN link compatibility also works fine on all three cards but I can't confirm because I lack a gamecube.

TBH the X5's shell size is not that big... or obtrusive.... It's roughly the same size as GBA games that have motion control like Yoshi's Topsy Turvy, or the Boktai games.

Probably not a big issue on the classic gba where the game sticks out where it isn't in the way. But for the GBA SP and Gameboy Micro, I find playing the boktai games and yoshis universal gravitation is uncomfortable because the cartridge is in the way of my hands. Actually, on the DS Lite as well, there it sticks out even more Tha a regular GBA cart.

It's just a point to consider whe making your choice. If battery runtime is important and the larger case doesnt bother you, the EDGBA X5 might be the right choice.

Offline MasterBuller

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2018, 02:33 AM »
Let's put it simple:
If you're casual, go for the EZO, if you're a hardcore gamer, or like to play for hours and hours, go for the EDGBAx5

Offline overtrash

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Let's put it simple:
If you're casual, go for the EZO, if you're a hardcore gamer, or like to play for hours and hours, go for the EDGBAx5

I'll buy omega for the DS Lite, in next month probably. X5 will be sitting in my modded GBA(AGS101)...
GB X5/Smart Card 64M/GBA X5/N8 Famicom/Krzysiocart(Polish flashcart)/Super Ufo 8/ SD2SNES(E.1)/ED64-v2.5/ED MD v3.0/Supercard DSTWO/ Sky3DS+/And packs of R4 in variations, as well as Ackeards too.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 11:48 AM »
I'm not exactly sure how 'amount of time' players spend playing is going to have much bearing on experience of using one or the other. Unless of course the EZO 'burns' out with heavy play, and X5 runs fine.

Of course the only difference being you'll get to play an hour or two longer with the x5 just because it doesn't draw as much power. However, many heavy player,  generallly play plugged in during long bouts, to avoid having to worry about battery draining mid play.

Non-casual playhers could certain take advantage of features that EZO offers over the X5 as well.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 11:49 AM »

Yes. This includes the EZ-Flash omega and reform as well as the EDGBA 5X. Reportedly, GCN link compatibility also works fine on all three cards but I can't confirm because I lack a gamecube.

TBH the X5's shell size is not that big... or obtrusive.... It's roughly the same size as GBA games that have motion control like Yoshi's Topsy Turvy, or the Boktai games.

Probably not a big issue on the classic gba where the game sticks out where it isn't in the way. But for the GBA SP and Gameboy Micro, I find playing the boktai games and yoshis universal gravitation is uncomfortable because the cartridge is in the way of my hands. Actually, on the DS Lite as well, there it sticks out even more Tha a regular GBA cart.

It's just a point to consider whe making your choice. If battery runtime is important and the larger case doesnt bother you, the EDGBA X5 might be the right choice.

GCN link works with X5 just fine, I tested on a wii myself.

As for the system I play on is an AGS-101 and it really doesn't stick out far, at all. I barely notice it. It doesn't even dig into my palms. It would stick out on a DS, but all GBA games do.

Even playing with the GB x7 on a SP sticks out much further, but never digs into my palms, and is mostly unnoticeable while playing. 

MY biggest problem with the x7 though is I sometimes accidently bump the savestate button with my pinkies, in the middle of a game, bringing up the menu.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:54 AM by Galron »