Author Topic: New EZ Omega is better than X5?  (Read 19867 times)

Offline BRNexus

• View Profile
Re: New EZ Omega is better than X5?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2018, 06:29 AM »
While GBA X5 is a quality product, the Omega is clearly superior and $40 cheaper to boot.   Also, not annoying overhang.

Krikzz should either drop the price of the X5 or come out with something that can actually compete with the Omega. 

If you are playing at home battery drainage should be irrelevant since you can just plug into outlet.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:40 AM by BRNexus »

Offline Deltax5

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Im so tempted just getting a omega. It has cheat codes and save stat's which I want. I have a m3 lite and have no issue's with it but I think link cable doesn't work so i hear never tried actually. I need to know if the omega has any issue's with link cable. Also can you use the omega as a second ds cart to load ds game also like my m3 lite.
I may just suck it up and get the x7 I just hope it releases by 2019 sometime.

Offline BRNexus

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2018, 10:55 PM »
Im so tempted just getting a omega. It has cheat codes and save stat's which I want. I have a m3 lite and have no issue's with it but I think link cable doesn't work so i hear never tried actually. I need to know if the omega has any issue's with link cable. Also can you use the omega as a second ds cart to load ds game also like my m3 lite.

A X7 GBA from Krikzz will probably be superior in terms of power draw and overall quality, but I'm betting it will be close to 2.5x the cost of the Omega without any extra real features over it.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2018, 02:05 PM »
If x7 doesn't offer at least save states and cheats I won't be upgrading at all to it... It needs to truly surpass the x5 beyond 'simply being smaller', and truly surpass the omega.

To be honest I'd rather see everything get renumbered... Make x3 and x5 the 'small' ones, make X7 a little oversized with extra features maybe even solar or motion control, or vibration. Sure there is only like 3 games per each feature... 3 boktai games for solar, 3 motion control games, and 2-3 games with vibration built in... I personally own all of the games already. But it would be kinda cool to have it all in one cart.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:08 PM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2018, 02:09 PM »

Doesn't the omega use micro sd, and micro sd adapters? Just like the Kriccz stuff?

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2018, 06:21 PM »
Only negative that I can see (and for me this is a huge negative)... The battery for the RTC on the Omega is not replaceable. Non replaceable batteries is a problem with many of the older Ez-Flash products as well.

http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/updated-official-maxconsole-ezflash-omega-review.46870/

"Non-removable lithium ion battery."

If something goes wrong with the battery, or it no longer holds a charge, it will make the entire flashcart use for RTC games completely useless. At least it can still save regular saves to the SD without the battery or having to push any buttons.

But most people are paying for the RTC for that function to always be available, and replaceable.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 08:10 PM by Galron »

Offline MasterBuller

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2018, 08:00 PM »
No removable battery, guess that's ends the fight, the EDGBAx5 wins

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 08:12 PM »
I wonder if that's how they saved room too (so it can fit in the DS GBA slot)... by using a non-standard, non-changeable battery...

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2018, 09:36 PM »
I wonder if that's how they saved room too (so it can fit in the DS GBA slot)... by using a non-standard, non-changeable battery...
Sounds like one way to save space (and costs) . While replacing the soldered on battery isn't really that hard (I have done it to both of my boktai cartridges), I can see why some people do not feel comfortable about that.

BTW these arent "non standard". Batteries with soldering tips are readily available.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:38 PM by Localhorst86 »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2018, 11:45 AM »
It's hard to tell really but it looks like they encased the battery in something that way more protective than your average Nintendo era 'perma-battery' and its flimsy strip of metal. Not sure what the case is and if it can be recycled for use on other batteries.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:47 AM by Galron »

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2018, 11:51 AM »
see the attachment for a picture of the board. Looks like a CR1220 battery to me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pcs-2-Pins-tabs-CR1220-1220-3V-Cell-Coin-Battery-Right/222869994359

your picture is a prototype, they probably used different components for that :)
You can often find these shrink wrapped batteries in Laptops for the CMOS. Technically you could probably also shrink wrap the battery yourself using shrink tubing, but that seems only a reasonable option if you're soldering often and already have the materials in stock. Not something for a "one-off-job".

EDIT: Either way: Yes, the battery is soldered in place on the omega, and yes, it's definatelly a lot more comfortable on the EDGBA with its battery holder. And while it isn't too hard for someone with rather basic soldering skills to replace the battery, it's not for everyone and it's understandable if someone who doesn't have the time or patience (or doesn't feel comfortable soldering) or simply doesn't have a soldering iron doesn't want to deal with that.

EDIT 2: I also just realized that the image of the Golden Sun cartridge you posted is actually a counterfeit card. Original GBA games don't have that black blob on them. Also, Golden Sun uses Flash storage for its savegame and therefore wouldn't require a battery. Just a bit of information I noticed :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:58 PM by Localhorst86 »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2018, 02:05 PM »
Ya, I wasn't sure about the image of the black sun, funny thing though it was on a website discussing how to replace batteries LOL!

https://ap.nintendo.com/detect/photos/gameboy_advance.jsp

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:07 PM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile

Offline BRNexus

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2018, 03:04 PM »
Thankfully the battery is only used for RTC and not actually save data.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2018, 06:39 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/8jecob/warning_ez_flash_omega_cant_save_using_an_gba_sp/

Hmm...

So yeah multiple users, including me, have noticed that the new EZ Flash Omega can't save using a GBA SP 101. An AGB 001 does work perfectly.
I don't know if this happens with everyone, but it did for me and other people. And only while using the SP 101... So you might want to wait it out if you are planning to use a SP 101.
See these two topics for more info:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-omega-doesnt-save-a-single-game-ags-101.503885/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-omega-initial-error-and-save-issues.503551/