Author Topic: Is it physically impossible to emulate the SA-1 on the SD2NES? [NO!]  (Read 31986 times)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: Is it physically impossible to emulate the SA-1 on the SD2NES?
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2018, 05:29 AM »
Perhaps another way to think of it is like RAM.  (It's not, I know.)  You've got different modules that all take differing amounts of RAM to load into memory, so you have to pick and choose which ones to load in.  Given that SA1 would take up all the "RAM", there's no room left to load in the MSU module.

Now, substitute "RAM" with "logic blocks", and I think that gives the picture.

Also, a personal request:  there's no sense in being rude to folks that don't understand how all this works.  It might get old explaining things, but even then, we can be nice in pointing folks to the answer if it's a question that has already been asked.

On top of that, once again, I'd like to thank both ikari and Redguy (and any other folks that may have contributed!) for all their hard work.  I'm still flabbergasted that this might be possible after all.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Perhaps another way to think of it is like RAM.  (It's not, I know.)  You've got different modules that all take differing amounts of RAM to load into memory, so you have to pick and choose which ones to load in.  Given that SA1 would take up all the "RAM", there's no room left to load in the MSU module.

Now, substitute "RAM" with "logic blocks", and I think that gives the picture.

I think that's a pretty good analogy. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't know exactly how it all worked, but that makes sense to me.

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Good news that Redguy ist taking on the SA-1. I think this will take a bit longer to implement. I have one question to the tech guys here, would it be possible to split the SA-1 core? Let’s say, for Mario RPG the SD2SNES firmware uses the SA-1-1, for Kirby it uses SA-1-2 and so on. To know which core to use, it reads the header from the ROM. Just my idea after a few beers  ;D

Greets
N64 PAL Games Collection: 204/243
N64 PAL Demo Collection: 1/1
N64 Region Free NTSC Games: 1
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modded UltraCIC II
SD2SNES Rev. F modded Rev. H

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2018, 10:36 PM »
It's probably not necessary.  Last update from redguy indicated work/time is needed to write various functions into his firmware, moreso than running out of space.

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2018, 01:30 AM »
As I find MSU1 modding overrated and a huge nuisance, as long as the games work as is, with saving abilities, I'm ecstatic.

Hear, hear! It's like if your wife puts on a wig for you during sex - fun once, but not every time.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2018, 09:53 AM »
Hear, hear! It's like if your wife puts on a wig for you during sex - fun once, but not every time.

Who needs a wig for that if they always demand the light to be switched off? ^^
Anyways... you all start to talk about things again which will end in a completely different way once more.
This whole thread is full of useless assumptions and claims. JUST WAIT FOR THE END RESULT, THANK YOU ^^

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2018, 10:11 AM »
This whole thread is full of useless assumptions and claims. JUST WAIT FOR THE END RESULT, THANK YOU ^^
Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner comment.
+1
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Still no relevent comments, figures :P Will wait for redguyyy to comment then we will see how things are going :)

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Seeing as Redguy has done it and it has been tested by Smokemonster, I split up the topic and am now locking this thread.

Go check out the new thread HERE.