Author Topic: Looking for NES to Famicom converter  (Read 5209 times)

Offline ewok

• View Profile
Looking for NES to Famicom converter
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Hi,

I bought the NES version and now bought a Famicom AV. On Retrogate I can order a Famicom to NES converter, but I need a NES to Famicom converter. Does someone know where I can order this? Maybe Krikzz will make one!?

Please advice.

Thanks!

Ewok

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
Re: Looking for NES to Famicom converter
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:41 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Famicom-72-pin-to-60-pin-adaptor-Converter-for-nes-games-Console-Nintendo-System-/230920790837?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35c3f3a335

I bought it from them. But I had to mod it for Castelvania III support and for sound channel support
(http://consolemods.freeforums.org/nes-to-fc-adapter-compatibility-fix-powerpak-audio-wiring-t27.html but Drakon here on the forum can help)

Also in my case to play Castlevania III I have to insert the game into the adapter in a particular way, all to the left or to the right (can't remember) because the adapter plug is a little bigger that the cart pcb so it let it move something like 1mm side to side and that is enough to short pins and have Castlevania III misbehaves [bizarre grafix errors], except than that it works for me, although I would love to have an enclosure/shell for it as it is indeed a little flimsy when inserted).

I've never tested the audio mod I did in the converter [following a schematics from Drakon] as I have ED-N8 and no US games ever used the audio mod (powerpak, N8-NES are the only ones obviously).

Offline ewok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Thanks a lot! I ordered the converter right away...... The modifications could be done without any problem I hope. Well....I will try  ;)

I also hope that Krikzz will make a good converter including the modifications though.....

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:18 PM »
.... The modifications could be done without any problem I hope. Well....I will try  ;)

I also hope that Krikzz will make a good converter including the modifications though.....

As long as you know how to solder and how to either use  a rotary tool or a scalpel to cut where indicated you're golden. The extra audio mod (which is really a voltage splitter composed of 2 sources, cart + Famicom, back onto a destination, the Famicom) requires 2 resistors of 10K ohm, send a PM to Drakon he had it on his site but I can't find the schema right now. Ask Krikzz if the splitter is even needed, maybe you can get by by wiring it directly (as I say there are no US carts using the audio channels)

Please double check the converter you get matches the one on the mod page as there are 2 versions one of which has the traces on the other side [so you have to compensate for that] and requires to insert the NES carts looking backward.

Anyway happy modding, hopefully it'll work out. I am pretty sure for N8-NES you'll need the Castlevania III mod in the converter to even start the cart.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:31 AM by phoenixdownita »

Offline ewok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Thanks!! I have to wait for the converter now....

The skills you mentioned are there  :)