Author Topic: Identifying sd2snes components for repair  (Read 3299 times)

Offline pepill0pev

• View Profile
Identifying sd2snes components for repair
« on: November 22, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Hello,
 I got a sd2snes from someone over from Zeldix.net as a gift. From what I was told, this sd2snes only works with version 1.1 of the software and upon further inspection noticed this particular board has some damage (see screen shot below). I'm surprised this sd2snes works at all given the condition it is in. Really, it does work but only on version 1.1. Anything higher than version 1.1 will go to black screen when the game is loaded.

Where I need assistance is to identify the damaged components (circled in yellow) that I would need to repair (I have experience doing micro soldering and have modded numerous consoles on my own with success). I know L391 is an inductor (just not sure what type).  Any help would be gladly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:57 PM by pepill0pev »

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
Re: Identifying sd2snes components for repair
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 05:03 PM »
 :o What did the former owner guy do to that poor thing?!

L391 is a part you got added between Rev E2 and F: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1777.msg18303#msg18303 it's rather optional unless you want the graphical benefits of Rev F on 1Chip SNESes ^^
Here something more clean: http://i.imgur.com/m90vO4U.jpg or more closely: http://retrostuff.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/sd2snes_05.jpg

Btw clean... first get rid of this mess, then we can talk about missing and dead parts. ^^

Offline pepill0pev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 05:39 PM »
I believe he pulled the bear sd2snes board out of his SNES and the components ripped out. The rest of the story of how this poor guy ended up this way, I do not know. DIY horror story for sure. I will clean this up when opportunity arises then take it from there then. I just hope the board traces were not destroyed by this Frankenstein DIY.

Offline pepill0pev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 05:42 PM »
I see from the zoomed in pictures, I will need two caps, one resistor, and an inductor. Any idea on what the specs are for the cap, resistor, and inductor?

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Maybe a look at the bill of materials for Rev. F will help:

https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes/blob/develop/pcb/kicad/RevF/sd2snes-BOM.ods

According to it, C123 & C128 are 10pF/0805 ceramic capacitors... R301 is a 20kOhm/0805 resistor... and L391 is a 10┬ÁH inductor (to be precise: a LQH32CN100K23 from muRata). And you should consider replacing the Q301 mosfet (IRLML6402PbF) as well (even though it still kind of "hangs on there" ;) )...

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:39 PM by TomKeller »

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 11:22 PM »
OMG,what the hell hapens there,hope you can fix it.

Offline CZroe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 03:20 AM »
Wow! What a mess. Looks like an easy fix regardless. Good luck! :)

Offline pepill0pev

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 08:08 PM »
 Well, I cleaned up all the mess the best I could and unfortunately my biggest fear came true. A lot of traces were missing, most likely when the components were ripped out initially by the previous owner. Missing a solder point for C120 (so it was never a full connection to begin with), missing a solder point for R301 (broken off, where all the glob of solder was in the posted image), same for the mosfet.
 I was surprised this worked in the condition it was in at all (as long as version 1.1 was on the sd card). If I had detailed schematics to find out where these broken points go, maybe, I can work something out. Overall, I just do not have the patience to figure it out now (maybe in the future).
 No biggie for me, it was just a gift and I'm really not a retro purist that much. My intention in having it (and use 1.8.0 when fixed) was to test my MSU-1 patches to ensure full compatibility with real hardware. So, no big loss for me. I fixed worse, just will not attempt unless I find something to reference.

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 11:12 PM »
I don't see the problem - ikari's above mentioned github contains the KiCad files for Rev. F with all the schematics:

https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes/tree/develop/pcb/kicad

So its no big deal so find out where all the missing/broken traces were connected to:

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 02:55 AM »
Jesus Christ, this is horrible.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline pepill0pev

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 02:22 AM »
All is well. I cannibalized the components from a broken PS3 motherboard. The rev F sd2snes now works fine and accepts version 1.8.0 update like a champ! I played Battletoads & Double Dragon including Alien 3 MSU1 for a while without issue. I have not tried the SuperFX core yet. Thanks to all that assisted me in identifying the broken traces.

Any suggestions on where to purchase an empty shell pre-made to fit this sd2snes board in?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:35 AM by pepill0pev »

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Would you show us your results as pic plz?
Well: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1545549 you don't happen to have a 3d printer I guess? Otherwise I would buy em here: https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-snes-cartridge.html

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 11:01 AM »
Any suggestions on where to purchase an empty shell pre-made to fit this sd2snes board in?

I got one of these last month. Handy for being able to see the LED's for the SD2SNES, and I bought two, so I have a spare one if you want it. The only downside is that they're not pre-cut for SD2SNES, you'll have to dremel it yourself (which is why I bought two, in case I messed up the first one).

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 03:35 AM »
All is well. I cannibalized the components from a broken PS3 motherboard. The rev F sd2snes now works fine and accepts version 1.8.0 update like a champ!
Wow, this is great news. Great work, kudos to you. ::) Reusing components is the way to go.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL