Author Topic: With SA-1 Games now playable..  (Read 18628 times)

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
Re: With SA-1 Games now playable..
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 02:04 AM »
sdd-1 being kind of useless as star ocean is already playable with a patch
Yes, but is it possible to apply a translation to the patched rom ?
Or maybe apply the patch to a translated rom ?
I don't think it is possible, but I don't try yet.
If it is impossible, the S-DD1 compatibility can be usefull for non english peoples  ;)

Yeah, exactly. The "sdd1 support is dum lol" contingent is pretty sizeable, but short-sighted on some levels, as you correctly point out, and downright dickish on others. I find "street figher alpa 2 is a bad game and nobody shud ever be able to play it on sd2snes" to not be a very compelling argument, to say the least.

Kinda blows my mind that some people are perfectly content with the idea of SD2SNES firmware development stopping altogether when support reaches 1,253 games out of the 1,254 released in NA and PAL territories. I figured this nonsense would stop when SA-1 was functional and only S-DD1 and SPC7110 remained, but I guess not.

At this point, I won't be surprised if magno (or somebody else) puts out a working S-DD1 core, and people are STILL going "mango u ruined sd2snes delete teh sdd1 core now it sux lol".

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 09:58 PM »
Street Fighter Alpha 2 isn't that bad of a game imho.  At least it is leaps and bounds better than bootleg SNES games and I don't mind the loading time a whole lot.  Sure the CPS2 version is better, but the CPS2 version also is not a port (of itself).  And you will be hard pressed to get a CPS2 game to run on the SNES altogether so that argument is kind of at a mute point.

I would definitely like to be able to play SFA2 on the sd2snes.  The more games the better.  I have it loaded on my SNES classic edition.

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 12:53 AM »
Street Fighter Alpha 2 isn't that bad of a game imho.  At least it is leaps and bounds better than bootleg SNES games and I don't mind the loading time a whole lot.  Sure the CPS2 version is better, but the CPS2 version also is not a port (of itself).  And you will be hard pressed to get a CPS2 game to run on the SNES altogether so that argument is kind of at a mute point.

I would definitely like to be able to play SFA2 on the sd2snes.  The more games the better.  I have it loaded on my SNES classic edition.

Or just patch the game to remove the SDD-1 chip.

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 03:44 AM »

The great thing for you and I as SFA2 fans who want to see S-DD1 enabled on SD2SNES is that Magno has said on youtube and Nesdev that his core is essentially finished and he's already been talking to/in contact with ikari on getting it implemented into our beloved flash cart.

Oh happy day lmfao!  ;D

I'd of preferred Magno to post his firmware here for us all to test out immediately as Redguy so often does with his own work, but what I'm kinda inferring (or rather guessing) is that he probably wants ikari to just put it in his next big SD2SNES firmware update (1.9.0?) which I'm guessing ikari will wait to release until after Redguy finally finishes up his SA-1 core so both cores can be part of the next firmware update and likely combined at that with whatever new fixes ikari himself may be planning to implement into his own SD2SNES creation/device.  :P

Edit: Also never fear people who don't see the reason or need for S-DD1 since many of you don't care for SFA2 or are rather in favor of that game being hacked like Star Ocean was instead of S-DD1 even needing to be implemented, as there may be something in Magno's core development for you too, as I saw a user on Twitter claiming they had a lot of homebrew that the S-DD1 chip's development/placement within the SD2SNES's firmware would then allow to run, so again you guys should or at least probably will get something worthwhile over Magno having developed this firmware as well as those of us who are already looking forward to it.  8)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:51 AM by protheanbeacon »
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 05:25 PM »
Oh so it is finished?  That's very nice.  I will wait for the release.  I actually like the SNES port of the game even though I can turn on my Switch and play the arcade version if I want.  Thanks

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 10:35 PM »
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=17992

Since we're on the subject about SA-1 hacks.....

Here's another SA-1 Mario World hack. It's a demo with 37 exits right now.

EDIT: Having played the game, I don't see why the SA-1 was even necessary, aside from decompressing graphics.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:22 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2018, 03:32 AM »
Porting hacks to SA-1 gives a CPU boost to 10.4MHz vs the SNES's 3.58MHz, uses faster RAM for quicker loading, and offloads sprite handling to the SA-1 to have more sprites on screen and other tricks.

Even if a game or hack isn't designed to use SA-1 sprite tricks, it still benefits from those hardware upgrades. In SMW SA-1 enhanced (regular SMW with just the SA-1 enhancements using Vitor Vilela's SA-1 Pack) for example, load times are nearly nonexistent and sprite-heavy scenes that ran at 15FPS now play at a perfectly smooth at 60FPS.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Porting hacks to SA-1 gives a CPU boost to 10.4MHz vs the SNES's 3.58MHz, uses faster RAM for quicker loading, and offloads sprite handling to the SA-1 to have more sprites on screen and other tricks.

Even if a game or hack isn't designed to use SA-1 sprite tricks, it still benefits from those hardware upgrades. In SMW SA-1 enhanced (regular SMW with just the SA-1 enhancements using Vitor Vilela's SA-1 Pack) for example, load times are nearly nonexistent and sprite-heavy scenes that ran at 15FPS now play at a perfectly smooth at 60FPS.
The hack did none of that. The only benefit I saw was that load time was cut down slightly due to faster decompression, but that was pretty much it. No sprite spamming, no more than 10 per screen, none of that. Although I did see a scaled up version of Morton on the first castle, but I'm guessing it was stored in the ROM that way? Regardless, it's still a demo, and I hope to see more of this game as it looks great. Maybe they'll make more use of the SA-1 in later levels, but as of right now, it's almost unnecessary.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:08 PM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Turbo-Duo

• View Profile
SD Gundam G Next is interesting!
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2018, 04:51 PM »
I play my G next hack on sd2snes everyday.
I notice Gnext bugs in the process.
And Gnext hack closes to ideal.

Please play my Gnext hack on sd2snes.

Offline RetroGamer85

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2018, 11:33 PM »
Hey guys,

I am totally new to this forum so I hope that my first answer won't be my last answer.
Please forgive me if I don't open up a new thread, as I think that my question might fit in here.

I have updated my SD2SNES cartridge with the sa-1 one v05 version from redguy.
After I have put the sd card back into the catridge and started my original SNES I have checked the version and it says 1.8.0-sa1-v5.
I have a few games on my sd card like Super Mario RPG or Kirby 3 / Fun Pak but I can not get any of these three games started.

In Super Mario RPG it starts with the main screen which was freezing after five seconds, only music continued to play.
In Kirbys Funpak I only get the first starting sound but no screen, just a black wall.
Kirby 3 does not start / I just get a black screen without anything.

Sorry for this beginner question but what exactly might I do wrong? Is it because I only have a SNES console or maybe because of country detection, so that some of those games just won't work even with this SA-1 module?

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2018, 11:57 PM »
Sorry for this beginner question but what exactly might I do wrong? Is it because I only have a SNES console or maybe because of country detection, so that some of those games just won't work even with this SA-1 module?

Are you from a PAL country?

If so maybe you're trying to get NTSC roms to work which would explain why things aren't working for you.

Alternatively I believe many of us save our entire SD2SNES folder (once its set up properly to our individual liking and works) to external harddrives or just our computer's main harddrive so that each time we want to put a new firmware on the SD card we can do so cleanly by formatting the SD card and starting fresh by copying over all our game folders and then simply placing the newly extracted SD2SNES firmware into its folder along with simply copying over our save files into the new folder.

Things usually work great this way.

Lastly what size is the SD card that you use?

If its 64GB you must understand that Windows can't reformat that into FAT32 so you have to find a program online to reformat cards like that which are larger than 32GB.

Then after you find such a program and get your 64GB card properly reformatted you put all the files back onto the card and things should work.
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline RetroGamer85

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Hey protheanbeacon,

yes I am coming from Germany.

When I bought my SD2SNES cartridge it was packed with SNES roms divided in Europe and Usa folders, so I thought at least the europe roms would work without any problems.

But I will search for PAL roms. Shouldn't this fix the problem I will back up the whole version 1.8.0 on my pc and format my SD card.
The SD card is only 8 GB big, but I believe this should be enough for the SNES console.

I will keep you guys updated as I really want to play those games on SNES and not on PC :)