Author Topic: Save states on SD2Snes  (Read 26542 times)

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Save states on SD2Snes
« on: October 09, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Alright,  SmokeMonster hasn't posted this yet, so I will.

https://twitter.com/furious_/status/1049471954468696064?s=19
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline hex12

• View Profile
Re: Save states on SD2Snes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Savestates are available only for non-special chip games

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:27 PM »
OMG, this is awesome!  Even if it's not for the chip-games. (for now)

Offline OmenBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:48 PM »
OMG, this is awesome!  Even if it's not for the chip-games. (for now)

Probably forever as this Save State implementation uses the FPGA, hence why special chip games are not supported.
Ultra EverDrive 64 V3 - EverDrive N8 Famicom - Mega EverDrive X7 - SD2SNES Rev H

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Enjoy people enjoy!! no more grinding through Contra, just use save states!

No more losing your game saves, use states!

No more mastering games, become a lazy bastard and cheat!  ;)
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 02:48 AM »
Question does this firmware have the SA-1 and super fx support as well?
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 03:57 AM »

No sir, tweet says so, no support for special chips. probably no space in the FPGA to do both things.

Offline GyaragaX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 05:07 AM »

No sir, tweet says so, no support for special chips. probably no space in the FPGA to do both things.

It doesn't support savestates for special chips, but it does run them. It has GSU and SA-1 cores in the package.

Offline Jurai

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 06:02 AM »
the music still playing after you load the state seems to have an interesting effect in Actraiser 1, reloaded a save state at the first boss right before the music switch for the boss fight and the boss music never started and the boss AI never went into action, just stood in place while i walked over and finished him off, can't say for sure this doesn't happen in regular emulator savestates but thought it was funny

Offline FURiOUS

• http://furious.pro
    • View Profile
    • http://furious.pro
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 02:22 PM »
the music still playing after you load the state seems to have an interesting effect in Actraiser 1, reloaded a save state at the first boss right before the music switch for the boss fight and the boss music never started and the boss AI never went into action, just stood in place while i walked over and finished him off, can't say for sure this doesn't happen in regular emulator savestates but thought it was funny

Emulators generates a full save state of everything, including APU, flashcarts savestates don't and I think that never will happen.
Some games can crash because, there's a file (savestate_fixes.yml) in the package with some fixes for games with audio issues, basically the game stores the state of the APU ($214x) somewhere in the memory and it needs to be updated right after the load/save state.

RedGuy made that fix list, but he won't work on this savestate stuff anymore. I'll try to fix some games but I'm not a expert debugging them...

Offline hex12

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 04:05 PM »
New update.

https://twitter.com/furious_/status/1050002481420427265

"New update for sd2snes 1.8 firmware with built-in savestates!
Fixed a few bugs and added new features:
- Custom base input for state slot selection (default: select)
- Choose which controller will do save/load/slot functions"

Download (beta): https://t.co/XD97S98nOo

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 04:26 PM »
What an amazing community of developers! Not that I'll ever use save states like a dirty cheater  ;), it's a feature I'm sure a lot are happy to see.
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline OmenBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 06:49 PM »

I think he was asking if this firmware still has the ability to play Super FX and SA-1 games, not if they support save states with those games. Yes this firmware supports playing special chip games like Super FX and SA-1.
Ultra EverDrive 64 V3 - EverDrive N8 Famicom - Mega EverDrive X7 - SD2SNES Rev H

Offline Jurai

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 12:06 AM »

Emulators generates a full save state of everything, including APU, flashcarts savestates don't and I think that never will happen.
Some games can crash because, there's a file (savestate_fixes.yml) in the package with some fixes for games with audio issues, basically the game stores the state of the APU ($214x) somewhere in the memory and it needs to be updated right after the load/save state.

RedGuy made that fix list, but he won't work on this savestate stuff anymore. I'll try to fix some games but I'm not a expert debugging them...

yeah I might look into it if I find some time just thought it was funny seeing the boss just frozen in place til it died, does also cause some unwinnable scenarios if the boss starts off screen though, so be wary if saving before an Actraiser boss fight

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 03:21 AM »

Does that mean Redguy is the one who started the work on save states? he never ceases to impress us.