Author Topic: Does anyone know why the SNESAdvance development was discontinued?  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Back in the 2000's Flubba made an emulator for GBA which made it possible to play SNES games on a GBA though around 2006 everything went quiet be it the project never finished or it was just forgotten about.

I tried to look up the past of it's development and could only come up with that it came out just 1 year before the DS was showcased and they took the development onto it itself then a few years later they dropped the project on it as well.

The thing that confuses me is there are two different projects that were made around just a few months in a year one was PocketSNES and the other was SNESAdvance… so what I wonder is why the change and why did it fail?

If it interests you I intend to revive this project fixing games along the way and making it possible to play SNES games on a GBA though if the game didn't function on the app it wont work even if it's corrected.

Any help on this question and it's past would be much appreciated and thank you for reading this - Richard
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone know why the SNESAdvance development was discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure the release of the PSP and the Game Park handled killed any emulation development on the project. The GBA lacks power, buttons, and screen resolution to emulate Snes decently.

Heck, the GP32, which was 10x more powerful than the GBA, could only emulate Snes at 10fps and without sound.

Fortunately, GBA has a lot of Snes ports. Which are for the most part totally inferior to the originals, but still...

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 01:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure the release of the PSP and the Game Park handled killed any emulation development on the project. The GBA lacks power, buttons, and screen resolution to emulate Snes decently.

Heck, the GP32, which was 10x more powerful than the GBA, could only emulate Snes at 10fps and without sound.

Fortunately, GBA has a lot of Snes ports. Which are for the most part totally inferior to the originals, but still...

Even with the release of the PSP and Game Park that would have killed it off you can't forget the fact it was playable enough years ago when I read about the compatibility on the homepage when people were saying for a first release and after reading on what games it played I was pretty shocked at how good it is.

Though these days it's not something obviously that you would boot up and playthrough your favourite SNES game or maybe you do if you wanted to see how it looked on it's screen but I expect this GP32 would be better than it considering the time it was made was just a single few months before the Nintendo DS came out and they made one for it too which according to YouTube videos shows it running a bit better with the progress on trying to keep up with the GBA version it was an incredible feat especially when the Nintendo DS has a slot to play GBA and GB/C games in it along with small carts the size of SD Cards.

Reading back to the very first date of when SNESAdvance or should I say PocketSNES with the incredible effort when it was released and it is a little different when you likely would be more used to playing it on a Raspberry Pi or a Linux processor or course accuracy is a thing and due to the fact it was never finished it will never be accurate so those are all things to be considered but it's still kind of mind blowing that this was made so many years ago.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 03:13 PM »

Even with the release of the PSP and Game Park that would have killed it off you can't forget the fact it was playable enough years ago when I read about the compatibility on the homepage when people were saying for a first release and after reading on what games it played I was pretty shocked at how good it is.

Though these days it's not something obviously that you would boot up and playthrough your favourite SNES game or maybe you do if you wanted to see how it looked on it's screen but I expect this GP32 would be better than it considering the time it was made was just a single few months before the Nintendo DS came out and they made one for it too which according to YouTube videos shows it running a bit better with the progress on trying to keep up with the GBA version it was an incredible feat especially when the Nintendo DS has a slot to play GBA and GB/C games in it along with small carts the size of SD Cards.

Reading back to the very first date of when SNESAdvance or should I say PocketSNES with the incredible effort when it was released and it is a little different when you likely would be more used to playing it on a Raspberry Pi or a Linux processor or course accuracy is a thing and due to the fact it was never finished it will never be accurate so those are all things to be considered but it's still kind of mind blowing that this was made so many years ago.

You should try to use more punctuation, it is really difficult sometimes to understand what you write. I can't comprehend your last sentence at all.

The GP32 was released in 2001, three years before the Nintendo DS, and it had arguably more raw power (of course, the NDS had more developers behind it, and later it could add additional RAM for homebrew via Slot-2).
The Nintendo DS also can't play natively GB and GBC games (it can of course emulate them decently, while not perfectly).

TLDR, there is no way in hell that a 17MHz ARM7 can emulate Snes in a satisfactory way. Losing hundreds of man-hours while you have literally a 20€ handled from China with Android that can do it, it has no practical sense.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:18 PM by Jegriva »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 05:36 PM »
I see your point but the power of the GBA can run SNES game around the same quality you would expect from the PCEAdvance emulator.. failing to emulate the sound channels but the gameplay is really good.

It only looks bad because a lot of games haven't had enough fixtures to them. I hope in the future I can make those games run a lot better on SNESAdvance.

Post changed:

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 08:30 PM »
I see your point but the power of the GBA can run SNES game around the same quality you would expect from the PCEAdvance emulator.. failing to emulate the sound channels but the gameplay is really good.

It only looks bad because a lot of games haven't had enough fixtures to them. I hope in the future I can make those games run a lot better on SNESAdvance.

I wouldn't keep your fingers crossed, the emulation homebrew scene on the GBA is dead since at least 2008.