Author Topic: SD2SNES Pro  (Read 54678 times)

Offline cacophony

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES Pro
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2019, 10:02 AM »

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Currently, there's not enough block memory for GSU-1/2- or SA-1-dependent games to take advantage of the MSU-1 chip specification.

SuperFX already has MSU1 implemented, it's SA-1 that doesn't have it.

Offline RoberMC

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Hehe, ikari and company did not finished features like the GUI for cheats support and other, also all relevant special chips support came from other developers external to sd2snes, and, still, if you want to have a firmware with all features you have to copy and paste files from various sources.

And here you are all, dreaming about Super GameBoy 2, full save states support, etc... That might happen, in a far far future, or not that far, but this features are in no manner related to the announced hardware changes. Naive humans ;D

Also Krikzz products are famous for being left behind and out of any kind of support when a new replacement version comes out, so the current firmware, in all its current glorious state, could be the last one we ever see for our old Sd2snes rev.J cart.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:11 PM by RoberMC »

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2019, 07:16 PM »
First of all, ikari_01 has been the one doing the firmware releases not krikzz, and he's always kept his word on that.  Especially if 3rd parties are doing the leg work now. 

Secondly, as for any development, considering the special chip work has been done lately by outsiders, the same could happen with the improved hardware.  That being said, to assume a GBC is potential might be a tad overzealous. 

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2019, 10:05 PM »
First of all, ikari_01 has been the one doing the firmware releases not krikzz, and he's always kept his word on that.  Especially if 3rd parties are doing the leg work now. 

Secondly, as for any development, considering the special chip work has been done lately by outsiders, the same could happen with the improved hardware.  That being said, to assume a GBC is potential might be a tad overzealous.

Isn't it true that GB SGB games don't run at the correct clock speed on the Snes and therefore run a bit faster/sound off? Surely, maybe SGB could be forced to run the correct clock speed on this new flashcart?

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2019, 10:34 PM »
Isn't it true that GB SGB games don't run at the correct clock speed on the Snes and therefore run a bit faster/sound off? Surely, maybe SGB could be forced to run the correct clock speed on this new flashcart?

SGB2 fixed that.

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 10:47 PM »

SGB2 fixed that.
And, if anyone would code an FPGA to be a SGB, they would probably make a SGB2.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 01:01 AM »
Note that the issue with a real SGB is fixed by adding an oscillator with the right frequency instead of deriving it from the SNES clock.  So it's not an issue with the hardware implementation, just the clock frequency.  I've been thinking of cracking open my SGB to fix it myself.

I don't really care too much about an SGB implementation, though; that's what my SGB and ED GB X3 is for.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Jagasian

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 03:52 AM »
sd2snes has had a great life, and got many useful firmware upgrades during its lifetime.  People said SA1 and FX support would never materialize.  But it happened eventually.  The sd2snes pro will be the same.  Eventually Super Gameboy support will be added to the pro version.

Also, the non-pro version will continue to be one of the best SNES carts ever made.

Offline daddylonglegs

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18 AM »

I don't really care too much about an SGB implementation, though; that's what my SGB and ED GB X3 is for.

Yeah but you can't play Game Boy Color games with that setup.

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 07:21 AM »
I feel like I'm in the minority with positively zero interest in SGB/2 for SD2SNES Pro.

Better save states? Absolutely - would probably buy just for that alone.

But much like I picked up my existing SD2SNES so I could play SNES games on actual SNES hardware, in my mind Game Boy games are best experienced on handheld Game Boy consoles (with help from the X7). And emulation running on a cart instead of a PC is still emulation, after all.

To each his or her own, but I'm honestly a little surprised at the outpouring of support for this idea.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:35 AM by Alvis »

Offline cacophony

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 07:35 AM »

And here you are all, dreaming about Super GameBoy 2, full save states support, etc... That might happen, in a far far future, or not that far, but this features are in no manner related to the announced hardware changes. Naive humans ;D

It's related to the new hardware in that they would not be possible to do with the old hardware. The new hardware opens up new possibilities, and so those investigations and implementations have begun.

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 10:23 AM »
To each his or her own, but I'm honestly a little surprised at the outpouring of support for this idea.

Well its all about convenience factor.

It creates less hassle of having to change out cartridges to play what you want, which come to think of it the SD2SNES (among all other flash carts) is doing already for the present stuff it's designed from the get go to play namely SNES game roms.

So yeah the convenience would be of not having to remove your SD2SNES or legitimate game cartridge (assuming you don't own an SD2SNES) and having to plug in the ol Super Gameboy or Super Gameboy 2.

Not to mention all the plugging and unplugging over time could probably weaken the system's cart contacts and allow dirt to get in there.

So much better to hope some new genius programmer (or reliable redguyyy, magno and friends...maybe kevtris too?) get on the ball and bring us this functionality EVENTUALLY, then we'll never have to remove our SD2SNES's ever again, just the old SD card from time to time if we find new stuff to add. 

Anyway that said I am digging the new SD2SNES Pro idea/necessary project coming up but I do sympathize with the people who lack the cash to buy one or who have already mortgaged their home to buy the version of the SD2SNES that is already presently available for themselves, heh heh.  :P
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:25 AM by protheanbeacon »
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline hyrulebr

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 03:01 PM »
I feel like I'm in the minority with positively zero interest in SGB/2 for SD2SNES Pro.

Better save states? Absolutely - would probably buy just for that alone.

But much like I picked up my existing SD2SNES so I could play SNES games on actual SNES hardware, in my mind Game Boy games are best experienced on handheld Game Boy consoles (with help from the X7). And emulation running on a cart instead of a PC is still emulation, after all.

Since SGB uses real gameboy hardware and the new cart will mimic it in FPGA, you cannot put it in the same league as pc emulation.

Not everybody have a SGB and a GB everdrive and to be honest I always  prefer to play handheld games in a big screen when a solution is avaialable. I can say about SGB, GC GBA adapter, GG and Lynx Mcwill mods and more recently VB virtualtap. All real hardware but running in a better screen. ;D

Offline doubledangaming

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Currently, there's not enough block memory for GSU-1/2- or SA-1-dependent games to take advantage of the MSU-1 chip specification.

SuperFX already has MSU1 implemented, it's SA-1 that doesn't have it.

You're right.  I think I conflated GSU-1/2 and SDD-1.  My bad.