Author Topic: SD2SNES Pro  (Read 42736 times)

Offline Terminator2k2

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES Pro
« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2019, 06:15 PM »
nice new logo on sd2snes pro

Offline rogerTrutman4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 04, 2019, 12:06 PM »
I have one question about the sd2snes PRO : 

I understand that "CPU" is more powerful on the PRO veriosn, right....
So more programs can run at the same time.. ok ... But what about the memory ?

Did they include more "ram" on the PRO version compare to the "normal" SD2SNES board ?  ???

No, only the FPGA is bigger. Which means it has the possibility to simulate more, and larger chipsets.

Well... I double check Smoke monster youtube video, and.... the guy responsible for this new board said " bigger FGPA...bigger gate roughly 80 % ... double memory !!!".
So now , i understand why it's possible to realize things which weren't possible with the "normal" SD2SNES !

Offline Atse

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 04, 2019, 12:44 PM »
I have a general question, it might be something now when the SD2SNES have some more ounch.

Heard somewhere that nintendo had some thoughts about backwards compability, that is use NES on a SNES console. Thats why they picked an 8bit external data bus.

Since the SNES 65816 is the 16bit variant of the  NES 6502?

Would it be possible to run NES games on the 65816? Maybe load them through the SD2SNES Pro?
Feels like it would be easier to do this since the Super GB are Z80 based and gererate everything on the cart side. The cart bus doesnt need to shuffle all the graphics data throu to the SNES.

I have actually no clue, this is only what I've head. Please correct me on this.
Would be nice with some sort of input from someone with knowledge in this.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:47 PM by Atse »

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 04, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Well... I double check Smoke monster youtube video, and.... the guy responsible for this new board said " bigger FGPA...bigger gate roughly 80 % ... double memory !!!".
So now , i understand why it's possible to realize things which weren't possible with the "normal" SD2SNES !

It doesn't mean that it has more "memory" or RAM. You need to understand how FPGA's work. The FPGA is configured in such a way that it emulates the chips that are used on original SNES cartridges. Now that the FPGA on the Pro is "bigger", it can emulate a few more chips that the original FPGA couldn't handle.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 04, 2019, 07:18 PM »

It doesn't mean that it has more "memory" or RAM. You need to understand how FPGA's work. The FPGA is configured in such a way that it emulates the chips that are used on original SNES cartridges. Now that the FPGA on the Pro is "bigger", it can emulate a few more chips that the original FPGA couldn't handle.

THe confusion comes from the fact that Ikari specifically states that it has 80% bigger gate wise, and then says 'and it is also double embedded RAM", when talking about the board in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOy_AItdwog

See around 2:50 mark

I guess it depends on what you are doing with it. Now he didn't given any examples on how this might be useful, maybe by making things more efficient for save states, so that they'll work with special chip games (or maybe why MSU1 will be usable with special chip games), who knows. In the case of Super Gameboy it becomes the 'Gameboy' essentially?

As for special chips its supposed to handle anything except for the ST018, still not enough room.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:21 PM by Galron »

Offline rogerTrutman4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 04, 2019, 10:31 PM »
thanks  for the informations , guys.

Sounds better "on the paper" , but we need to wait and see.....
The co processor ST018 isn't a big deal... only ONE game....  a shogi simulator ...  ???  not my cup of tea, anyway....

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 04, 2019, 11:48 PM »
I imagine we're less than five years away from ST018 on SOME FPGA platform anyway though. Dr. Decap and byuu have already laid the groundwork for it, and it's already been implemented in bsnes for 6 or 7 years. It's little more than a curiosity, of course: if you are really into shogi, a modern smartphone would be a better choice than this, to say nothing of more powerful PCs. But once all the other cores are done and in good working order with all games, what else is there to do? And then on MiSTer, I sort of wonder if the ST018's functions couldn't just be offloaded to the DE10-nano's own ARM processor.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 05, 2019, 12:08 AM »
thanks  for the informations , guys.

Sounds better "on the paper" , but we need to wait and see.....
The co processor ST018 isn't a big deal... only ONE game....  a shogi simulator ...  ???  not my cup of tea, anyway....

It’s basically just a curiosity... only thing I can think it might be useful is to have every chipset included for potential future potential homebrew stuff.

Offline babayaga

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2019, 03:47 PM »
just ordered a Pro myself, they better not release a new revision of the board in the next month! :)

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 06, 2019, 04:15 PM »
just ordered a Pro myself, they better not release a new revision of the board in the next month! :)

There will be a revision for the next batch, but it's only so it'll fit into US cartridge shells.

Offline babayaga

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2019, 05:35 PM »

There will be a revision for the next batch, but it's only so it'll fit into US cartridge shells.

ah, that's gladly not a problem as i use a SFC :)

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2019, 07:14 PM »
i have a sd2snes pro with latest firmware 1.10.1 and with the game  F1 rock champion 2 game I have the screen buggy this has already been reported on discord , i have the file st0010.bin put in my sd and with my old sd2snes it work fine this game

I just tested f1 roc 2,same problem as you have with my sd2snes pro,also star ocean s-dd1 doesn't work,will test more later.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2019, 10:29 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread...

Maybe the bug is in the way the FPGA implements the special chip drivers? Have you tested other special chip games to make sure they are all being implemented correctly as well? Only reason I ask is we know pro has a different FPGA than the original, maybe the files don't access the new FPGA in the same manner as the older FPGA, and its something that still needs to be worked on?

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2019, 10:53 PM »
i tried super mario rpg(sa1),that worked and star fox,also working.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 08, 2019, 12:00 AM »
So far its only ST010 and the S-DD1 having problems? Anyone test the DSP chipsets, and some of the others?