Author Topic: Shiren the Wanderer 2 N64 Translation  (Read 14406 times)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: Shiren the Wanderer 2 N64 Translation
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2020, 10:08 PM »
Amazing! I'm new to this community and just came upon this thread today. Thank you for all the love and care you and others have clearly put into this translation project. I am still waiting on my ED to arrive, but this patch will be one of the first games on my list when it does!

When you get it, feel free to visit the discord.  I'm hoping in the next week or two to release another updated patch.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2020, 08:34 PM »
This month marks the 20th anniversary of Shiren 2's release.  In Japan, some groups were promoting speedruns of the game, and there seems to be some interest in getting the game ported/remade for the Switch.  Nothing from Spike Chunsoft.  They're working on pushing Shiren 5+'s Switch release on December 2/3 for Worldwide/Japan (I think).  It sounds like a lot of their interest in the series will depend on how well 5+ sells.  They are adding some content to 5+ which you can check out for yourself.  If you're interested in the series, make sure to pick up your copy!

Back to Shiren 2.  With school starting things have ground mostly to a halt entirely because of me.  Shark is still doing an amazing job working on Shiren translations.  We did make some big pushes at the end of the summer adding:

Sir Victory Daruma passphrases
Added Shiren's name back to the demo walkthrough
Tweaked text and some dialogue screens
Other minor fixes
Some initial texture translation work

At this point, pretty much all that's left is texture work.  All of the textures are compressed, and they have been a pain to edit/test so far because they seem to use some odd palette and they're smashed together.  My project right now is making a modified version of the ROM that will give plenty of room for each of the textures we're editing to allow us to test all of the textures to make sure we get them right.  My schedule is relaxing a little bit in October, and I have been able to take some small steps in preparation for this temporary testing ROM.

While working on the passphrases we ran into an issue that it was only reading the first 4 letters of passphrases.  This makes sense since they were originally limited to 4 letters.  While tracing out the fix (it is fixed now), I found some fun behind the code stuff.  Normally when you enter a passphrase, Sir Victory Daruma (SVD) shakes.  Then the ground shakes.  Then there's a tone.  If you entered a correct passphrase, SVD shines and you get an item. 

If not, a text box shows up and says wrong passcode.  So a lot of things happen between entering the passphrase and the split between success/failure.  A lot of games will check as soon as the text is entered since it's already taking in that data.  Shiren 2's code doesn't decide whether the passphrase is correct until right before the tone signifying that a decision has been reached.  Not a huge thing, but I like that the person in charge of this piece of code matched the code to the actual decision.

Finally, some neat little tidbits about Shiren 2 we've discovered in the text.  The main menu changes depending on whether you have a controller pak or journals or whatever.  It can have Continue, Create Journal, Copy Journal, Delete Journal, Leaderboards, View Demo, Sound Setting, Controller Pak.  In the text, however, you also have Change Name and Password.  When you choose a Journal to play, you get the choice of Continue Adventure or Return to Village.  In the text, there's also Debug Dungeon.

I did some tracing around and the code includes pre-built pointers to the text for the different ways the main menu can look.  None of them have empty spots or point to the unused text.  When you choose something from either the main menu or the journal menu, there are only as many code pointers as there are options on the screen.  All of the code is in the same area and there are no extra, unused functions in that area.  My guess is that since there are two sections of text, at one point there was some Debug stuff in the "Dungeon" text (what we were looking at), but it was later all moved to the "Everything Else" text which makes sense since there is a lot more you can do with the "Everything Else" text/command codes.  Ah well.  That's not to say that there couldn't still be stuff hidden in the code, and there are still some other things I want to follow up on, but this at least is a dead end.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2020, 08:48 PM »
Wow, I'm amazed at the amount of work you guys continue to put into this amazing project. I've been playing your Shiren the Wanderer patch a lot lately and I have to say the translation work is top notch! I've only gotten a few sections of the castle built so far (The rng factor makes some runs punishingly difficult!) but it's so much fun. Thank you, again, for taking on this project and for completing it so well. It has been such a joy to play this game while stuck at home during the pandemic.

I'm currently running a version of the patch from earlier in July. Has there been a new release since then? If so, where could I find the download link?