Author Topic: Mario Kart 64 - Amped Up - a new Mario Kart 64 mod has been released  (Read 924 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Mario Kart 64 - Amped Up, a brand new fan made modification of Super Mario 64 has been released, and it's supposedly pretty good.

So if you're a fan of SM64, then here are some new levels for you to race around!

For a video showing the mod, and the link to the patch, go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L9gLe-bbxg&feature=emb_logo

Note that this mod does work on a real N64 with an Everdrive 64, but you need an expansion pak plugged into your N64 (most mods actually need the expansion pak, even when the base game itself didn't). Also be aware that:

- The first course "SMW Raceway R/T" has problems starting on real hardware.

- Some courses may suffer from frames dropping and graphical glitches in certain areas on real hardware.

- Under rare circumstances, courses may start with a black screen. In this case, just pause, exit out and start the course again.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 03:35 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 64 - Amped Up - a new Mario Kart 64 mod has been released
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 05:32 PM »
Awesome, thanks so much for posting this Kerr Avon! I can't wait to try it out.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 07:35 PM »
Very cool, and some tracks are well done (the Glover one not so much), but it's also very buggy and several tracks just becomes black on real hardware. You can drive around in the dark, but that doesn't help. There's a widescreen mode I hadn't enabled, but it was forced on anyway when I tried to play two player VS mode, stretching out the screen incredibly. If I was playing on a standard CRT with no widescreen mode it would be unplayable. The rom size is also very odd and not a power of two.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 10:47 PM »
Thanks for this, nuu. Haven't had a chance to play yet, but those sound like frustrating issues. When the courses are black screen, does pausing, exiting out, and starting the course again clear it up? Or are these tracks unplayable in your experience?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 01:25 AM »
I didn't try them that long, and not sure I tried that, but nothing I did helped. They were dark every time. Widescreen mode was also forced every time in 2-player VS mode.

The Glover track is horrible in many ways. Not only all the irritating colors, but the track often abruptly ends and you were supposed to take a turn you didn't see. There should have been more arrows that point in the correct direction. Also there is one arrow that fools you into following it, but it's really an arrow for a part of the track you already passed, and it fools you to drop down and pass that again, forever (or until you realize you shouldn't follow it).

Then there's Lakitu that sometimes takes you past the whole track. The Castle Slide track (which is otherwise a fantastic track) has this problem a lot. I accidentally dropped down into the abyss near the beginning of the track, and I was bought back to near the end of the track, and got faaaaaar ahead of my opponent.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 10:46 PM »
There are apparently quite a few Mario Kart 64 hacks, but I'm not aware of a list of them, not being a fan of kart racing games myself.

There are three listed at:

https://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=27&game=3002&category=&perpage=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go

but I know there are many more, including lots of new levels to race around.

There are quite a few Diddy Kong Racing new levels here:

http://n64vault.com/wiki:dkr-tracks-visual-list

Offline JoDark00

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 11:41 PM »
There's a Dragonball Z mod of MK64 that I happened upon (no custom tracks as far as I remember, it's a character and item mod with some of the in-level designs changed), that runs great on ED. I believe the link leads to a rom so I don't want to link to it here but it's pretty easy to find with your google-machine   ???

There's another similar one with GTA San Andreas characters that also runs flawlessly on real hardware (again, pretty sure the download is a rom, but easy to search out if you're interested).

Haven't seen them around this board so I figured it was worth mentioning.