Author Topic: Occasional black screen in Shiren the Wanderer  (Read 1282 times)

Offline NESHack

• View Profile
Occasional black screen in Shiren the Wanderer
« on: February 18, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Hello,

I've been playing a lot of Mystery Dungeon 2: Shiren the Wanderer (known in Japan as Fushigi no Dungeon 2: FÅ«rai no Shiren). Every so often I get a black screen, *only* when changing levels. If I press reset on the SNES and go back to the game, it loads fine but gets black screen again when continuing adventure. I've tried turning off in-game hooks, and the problem persists. It seems to work fine when I power cycle the console and continue, and thankfully the game autosaves so I haven't lost any progress so far.

I wanted to know if there's anything I can do about this issue, or if it is known at all. I've tried the SNES tester & burn-in test tool and both passed everything (CPU, RAM, etc. all look fine). This is the only game I've gotten a black screen with the sd2snes.

Also, I am using a translation pack, but do not think this is the issue because I've watched many people play this same translation pack on youtube and have never witnessed/heard about this black screen.

Thanks for the help
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:13 PM by NESHack »

Offline ErivandoXP

• View Profile
Re: Occasional black screen in Shiren the Wanderer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Have you tried the pure Japanese version?

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Ya, half the time there is a problem with a modded game, its the patch itself causing the problems on real hardware.

Offline NESHack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 02:55 AM »
I haven't tried the original - its a game with lots of text, and not the easiest, so it seemed quite daunting to me. I guess I'll give it a try when I find some extra free time. The main problem is the bug seems to trigger most often in deeper parts of the dungeon, which I doubt I'll be able to get to easily without knowing japanese.