Author Topic: Stone age gamer new sd2snes  (Read 4012 times)

Offline johnny_6uitar

• View Profile
Stone age gamer new sd2snes
« on: February 16, 2019, 05:13 AM »
Hello again!  I was wondering as my cousin and I are back at getting the sd2snes to run on a super nt analogue, if somebody could offer their advice as to how to get this thing running.  We ordered an sd card with the cartridge, popped it into the nt and for some reason the green light that says ready is solid, and the write red light is blinking like 14-16 times each sequence and repeating.  Not to sure what this indicates, or how come we cannot get the menu for the cartridge to show up.  We just get a square box of blackish gray light and no menu.

The root of files in the sd cards are as follows:

roms folder
sd2snes folder

sd2snes folder contains:
cheats folder
saves folder
bsxpage bin file
cx4
dsp1
dsp1b
dsp2
dsp3
dsp4
firmware disc image file
fpga_base.bit
fpga_cx4.bit
fpga_gsu.bit
fpga_obc1.bit
fpga_sa1.bit
menu bin file
sd2snes database file
sd2snes.dir

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
Re: Stone age gamer new sd2snes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 05:58 AM »
Is the Super NT upgraded to it's latest firmware?

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360000557452-Super-Nt-Firmware-Update-v4-6

Also what size SD card did you order from StoneAgeGamer and did you format it before using it?

https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

Windows can't format cards larger than 32GB so you'll need to find a program that can to make your 64gb card work properly again with SD2SNES if you have a 64GB card.
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline johnny_6uitar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 07:01 AM »
Yes got it working, also do you know if they have gotten street fighter alpha 2 zero to work on the latest revision j sd2snes?

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Yes got it working, also do you know if they have gotten street fighter alpha 2 zero to work on the latest revision j sd2snes?

Yes it works, but you need the S-DD1 beta firmware found in the zippyshare link in the second post on this linked page...

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8592.0

Offline ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 06:09 PM »

Can you please explain what you did to get it to work? I'm having the exact same problem as you. The SD2SNES won't load in my Super NT.
Kind regards.

Offline ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Is the Super NT upgraded to it's latest firmware?

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360000557452-Super-Nt-Firmware-Update-v4-6

Also what size SD card did you order from StoneAgeGamer and did you format it before using it?

https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

Windows can't format cards larger than 32GB so you'll need to find a program that can to make your 64gb card work properly again with SD2SNES if you have a 64GB card.

I'm having the exact same problem as this fellow. My SD2SNES works perfectly in my regular SNES, but won't load on my Super Nt.
My SD2SNES has the latest firmware, and has a 2GB SD Card from Stone Age Gamer. Like I said, works perfectly in my SNES, but won't load on the Super Nt. Just get flashing lights on the console.

Btw, how dd you know the OP had a 64GB SD card? He didn't say so in his initial post, so did you just assume it?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:16 PM by ifightdragons »

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 10:37 PM »
Btw, how dd you know the OP had a 64GB SD card? He didn't say so in his initial post, so did you just assume it?

Storage media over 32gb can't be formatted with the FAT32 file system with Windows' default formatting program, and that's what most flash carts etc. read. Anything over 32gb is formatted as exFAT or NTFS and won't be read by the flash cart. You need an external program to format 32gb+ with FAT32.

Offline ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 12:54 AM »

Storage media over 32gb can't be formatted with the FAT32 file system with Windows' default formatting program, and that's what most flash carts etc. read. Anything over 32gb is formatted as exFAT or NTFS and won't be read by the flash cart. You need an external program to format 32gb+ with FAT32.

I know how formatting works. But that doesn't answer my question; how did you know the OP had a 64GB SD card? He never mentioned anything about his SD card size or how it was even formatted.

You see, I'm having the same problems the OP had, trying to get my SD2SNES working on my Super Nt, and the OP clearly got it working, but of course forgot to include what he did. So if we could get both of you explaining what happened here, this thread could be of great help to not only me, but anyone else googling and stumbling upon the same problem in the future.

Offline johnny_6uitar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 06:31 AM »
okay here is what I did, dont blame me if something goes wrong I followed this tutorial, it is not exactly for beginners, you could delete the wrong disk if you clean the wrong one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpn-0zVkTPY&t=5s

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Quote from: ifightdragons

Read my post carefully again brother.

"Windows can't format cards larger than 32GB so you'll need to find a program that can to make your 64gb card work properly again with SD2SNES if you have a 64GB card."

Note the key word in my post was "if" as in "if" he had a 64GB card.

I had the same problem with my SD2SNES not working, but everything on the computer (in my SD card reader) appearing as though I'd set things up right ie all the files were where they were supposed to be, but my mistake was formatting a 64GB SD card in Windows which can only format 32GB SD cards.

I even went so far as to email StoneAgeGamer requesting a return/replacement (for the SD card assuming it was defective) until the site worker or owner informed me about the formatting issue and what program StoneAgeGamer uses to format 64GB cards for customers.

I ended up finding a different online program to reformat my 64GB card from them, but yeah anyway it was a real eye opener for me about what can often seem to point to an SD2SNES being a dud is actually an end user screw up/misunderstanding.

Though with all that said it would seem OP and others have a different issue for why their SD2SNES isn't working.  :P

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:51 AM by protheanbeacon »
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 07:26 PM »
Quote from: ifightdragons

Read my post carefully again brother.

Though with all that said it would seem OP and others have a different issue for why their SD2SNES isn't working.  :P

Thank you both for clarifying, and my apologies for misreading your post.
I've figured out my problem, and it's not SD card related... it's even weirder.

I can only use the SD2SNES with my Super Nt if I boot the system WITHOUT a controller plugged in. Then I can plug in the controller after booting and it works like normal (most of the time, the system still crashes sometimes).
It's super weird, and I can't for the life of me figure out why this would happen.

The funny thing is that it is apparently happening to several users, like ColemanDF who wrote about it in this thread:
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7392.msg57199#msg57199
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:58 PM by ifightdragons »

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 12:43 AM »
Thats odd.

The only controller problems I've heard about the Super NT having up until now is at least two.

For the first one I guess Kevtris/Analog have warned users to not hot swap 8bitdo controllers as apparently plugging in the wireless sensor/s while the unit is on can crash the Super NT due to the way controller polling works on the SNES ie the SNES (which the Super NT is programmed to work as) seemingly searches for a certain power level going to the controller ports at all times and something about adding the 8bitdo sensor while the unit is turned on messes this up resulting in a crash. Well I'm sure a more technically knowledgeable actual programmer type can explain this better but I think I've given you the meat and potatoes of it.  :P

Anyway for the second one, even though Kevtris has done a great job on the Super NT, its as another famous SNES programmer named byuu has pointed out about all this and what he pointed out is that no emulation out there, which the Super NT technically is, will ever be 100% perfect, meaning people have reported there are certain third party controllers that seemingly don't work with the Super NT that do work with the original system and not only that apparently the Super NT doesn't automatically understand auto region patching like a real SNES does, meaning you have to manually set the Super NT to play a PAL game, whereas with an SD2SNES, a PAL rom and an original SNES you are generally not hit with a message preventing you from playing that game which again happens on Super NT if you don't manually set it to play your PAL game rom.

Well now that I've got done providing you some painful and probably highly inaccurate explanations that still somehow probably manage to get the general points across to you, I might as well ask a question I'm already sure I know the answer to but will ask it anyway so here goes.  :P

Are you using original OEM (Nintendo made/branded) SNES controllers or are you using non Nintendo made wacky third party controllers?

I assume you are using Nintendo OEM brand btw but am still curious as to your answer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:47 AM by protheanbeacon »

Offline ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 03:04 AM »
Thanks for the detailed and insightful response. I had never heard of those other two issues before.

I do indeed use OEM controllers, original and in good condition. Tried posting a new thread and got some interesting responses related to power. It might just be that the SD2SNES combined with the Super Nt and the plugged in controller is drawing too much Amp from my 1A power supply. I've ordered a few 2A adapters to see if that will fix it.

Offline ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Thats odd.

The only controller problems I've heard about the Super NT having up until now is at least two.

For the first one I guess Kevtris/Analog have warned users to not hot swap 8bitdo controllers as apparently plugging in the wireless sensor/s while the unit is on can crash the Super NT due to the way controller polling works on the SNES ie the SNES (which the Super NT is programmed to work as) seemingly searches for a certain power level going to the controller ports at all times and something about adding the 8bitdo sensor while the unit is turned on messes this up resulting in a crash. Well I'm sure a more technically knowledgeable actual programmer type can explain this better but I think I've given you the meat and potatoes of it.  :P

Anyway for the second one, even though Kevtris has done a great job on the Super NT, its as another famous SNES programmer named byuu has pointed out about all this and what he pointed out is that no emulation out there, which the Super NT technically is, will ever be 100% perfect, meaning people have reported there are certain third party controllers that seemingly don't work with the Super NT that do work with the original system and not only that apparently the Super NT doesn't automatically understand auto region patching like a real SNES does, meaning you have to manually set the Super NT to play a PAL game, whereas with an SD2SNES, a PAL rom and an original SNES you are generally not hit with a message preventing you from playing that game which again happens on Super NT if you don't manually set it to play your PAL game rom.

Well now that I've got done providing you some painful and probably highly inaccurate explanations that still somehow probably manage to get the general points across to you, I might as well ask a question I'm already sure I know the answer to but will ask it anyway so here goes.  :P

Are you using original OEM (Nintendo made/branded) SNES controllers or are you using non Nintendo made wacky third party controllers?

I assume you are using Nintendo OEM brand btw but am still curious as to your answer.

Happy update:

Purchased a 5v / 2a USB travel charger on eBay from China, and now everything is working smooth as butter!