Author Topic: cannot disable in game hooks for playing ff3/6  (Read 1642 times)

Offline arathorn

• View Profile
cannot disable in game hooks for playing ff3/6
« on: March 25, 2019, 09:25 PM »
I have a problem playing Final Fantasy 3/6, because the in game hooks introduce a bug in the menu's, specifically when going into the items or equip menu's, where most of the screen goes black. I've seen that it's a known bug for v0.1.7b (see the link below), but I've used 3 different versions of the firmware now: v0.1.7e, v1.10.0 and v1.10.1

I've tried changing the setting in the sd2snes menu's many times now. I see that it's disabled, enable it, load a rom, disable it, load ff6 rom, enable it again, load a different rom (e.g. chrono trigger), disable it again, load ff6 again and the bug persist, as does the setting, because at any time when a rom is loaded, I can press L+R+select+X to return to the sd2snes menu. What can I be doing wrong here? How do I resume my playthrough of Final Fantasy 6? :)

https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility/in-game-hook-compatibility

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
Re: cannot disable in game hooks for playing ff3/6
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 11:01 PM »
Maybe the hooks interfered with the save you have for the game? Backup your save to your PC or whatever, then delete it from the save folder on your SD card and start a new save game with the hooks disabled and see if it makes any difference.

Offline arathorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:38 PM »
Maybe the hooks interfered with the save you have for the game? Backup your save to your PC or whatever, then delete it from the save folder on your SD card and start a new save game with the hooks disabled and see if it makes any difference.
Thanks for the reply. I did that, but it didn't help. Now I've taken a different sd card, cleanly formatted, copied the sd2snes firmware v1.10.1 and the FF6 rom, starts the game from the beginning, but I still have the bug and I still can go back to the menu with L+R+select+X.

Offline arathorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 03:07 PM »
I've found the problem and thus the solution. The problem lies not in the sd2snes, it's just that the symptom is identical. My snes has the supercic mod and also hardware In Game Reset functionality, which are identical to the button combinations of sd2snes. When I switch to a forced 60Hz mode with L+R+select+A it all works fine!

I hope this thread will save some time for whoever also encounters this problem. :)