Author Topic: How do I use sd2snes pro in game menu  (Read 9253 times)

Offline nevbell4

• View Profile
How do I use sd2snes pro in game menu
« on: March 13, 2019, 12:24 AM »
 :o I’m struggling to find anything online to tell me how I use menu on the sd2snes pro , how do I save games ? And jump back to game menu screen etc ? This is my first everdrive so be gentle 😂

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: How do I use sd2snes pro in game menu
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 12:38 PM »
The menu should be quite straightforward. A to confirm, B to cancel and X for the options menu. You need to turn the in-game-hooks on if you want to use those extra bells and whistles or turn them off to avoid the potential mess it may cause in games. There's also an option for region auto-patching games that checks the system region. You can turn it off as well when you don't play cross-region (NTSC vs PAL) games, for maximum compatibility or if you are paranoid. Just turn it on whenever you want to play a cross-region game with this check (you will be greeted by a warning screen in those games whenever they are run when not auto-patching).

Normal saves are stored in the sd2snes/saves directory on the SD card when you use the normal in-game saving for games that supports cartridge backup. There is no preparation you need to do for this besides the SD2SNES OS directory.
If you are thinking of save states, they aren't officially implemented yet. There is an experimental version of it that requires using the USB though.

You can hold RESET for a longer time (maybe 2 seconds) and it will clear the game and reset to the SD2SNES menu instead of resetting the game. Or if you have in-game-hooks on you can use a button combination.

Offline johnny_6uitar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:16 AM »
Just out of curiousity, does anybody know if the save states could be supported on the rev j. and older line of sd2snes, or is this feature only logically available for only the pro?

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 03:52 PM »
Just out of curiousity, does anybody know if the save states could be supported on the rev j. and older line of sd2snes, or is this feature only logically available for only the pro?

Save states won't be supported in full, or with the capabilities the Pro can provide, as the APU needs to be simulated in the FPGA after the state is loaded for the music to continue on from where the state was created. The original SD2SNES FPGA won't be able to do this.

An implementation of save states are available with a slightly older firmware version for the original SD2SNES (1.8 I think, but I'm not sure). You can try it out if you haven't already.

Here's a link: http://dl.furious.pro/sd2snes.zip
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:50 PM by Relikk »

Offline mofoofinvention

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 12:18 AM »
evidently the save states worked, but there was an audio issue. the SD2Snes Pro fixes that problem.

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 05:56 PM »
evidently the save states worked, but there was an audio issue. the SD2Snes Pro fixes that problem.
Describing it as "an audio issue" is a wild oversimplification. Basically, whatever music is playing at the moment will continue playing even after you load a state, and this is not just "an issue" with SD2SNES, but with all save states that work on real hardware, e.g. the Nakitek Game Saver and romhacks with savestate functionality like the Super Metroid practice ROM.

And no, SD2SNES Pro doesn't fix it, or at least it doesn't yet, and will not for some time. "Fixing that problem" is going to be a huge project because it has to do with limitations of accessing the SNES's APU. See the post RIGHT above yours.

So much misinformation...

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 11:15 PM »
Is that really the only problem with save states? The music in the background continues to play? Couldn't that be remedied simply by changing areas in whatever game you're playing? If thats the only minus, I think it's pretty minor. Sure, the same music plays or continues to play can get annoying, but depending on what game, music switches often. As long as the actual save state works without locking up, I think it would work fine as-is

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 11:45 PM »
Is that really the only problem with save states? The music in the background continues to play? Couldn't that be remedied simply by changing areas in whatever game you're playing? If thats the only minus, I think it's pretty minor. Sure, the same music plays or continues to play can get annoying, but depending on what game, music switches often. As long as the actual save state works without locking up, I think it would work fine as-is
That's my understanding, though there may be games where savestates are legitimately broken for other reasons (or just because of issues with in-game hooks). So many people talking about it makes me wonder if it really has already been fixed on the Pro, but ikari was talking about it in purely hypothetical terms on SmokeMonster's stream just a few weeks ago (the whole thing about simulating the APU on the FPGA), so I think it's like one of those Russian telephone games where the exact message and the context get lost and you end up with people thinking the Pro will have Super Game Boy support and official savestate support (with the audio state saved as well) out of the box.