Author Topic: Playing Game Gear on an x7 w/ Mk II Genesis  (Read 2454 times)

Offline zanth

• View Profile
Playing Game Gear on an x7 w/ Mk II Genesis
« on: March 24, 2019, 06:06 AM »
Hello! I recently got my Mega Everdrive x7 to use with my Mk II Genesis, and so far I love it. Everything works great except Game Gear games. They all seem to have distorted color palettes, usually some form of bright teal type color, and they also don't seem to be accepting controller inputs. I'd read something about the Mk II and Mk III Genesis not being as good at playing the 8 bit software, does this have something to do with this? Are my ROMs maybe bad? IS there a BIOS file I'm missing that I should have in my MEGA folder? Thank you so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Also, I can make a clip of what I am talking about if it might help. Thanks!

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
Re: Playing Game Gear on an x7 w/ Mk II Genesis
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 06:17 AM »
Genesis can't play GG normally due to the expanded GG palette. There are a handful of GG games that use SMS mode, but a few of them can't be started when played on Genesis since start is mapped to the gg start buttin.

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 06:29 AM »
Ah, so basically I'm not doing anything wrong, it's just that a bunch of games don't work right on the Genesis at all. Ok, thanks, appreciate it. The Everdrive was marked as being able to play GG games, so I assumed it was something I was missing.

Offline LordKahless214

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 08:53 AM »
you can apply patches to many of the games to play them on the genesis or master system.

I've done it on a few titles, and works pretty well, details here :  https://www.retrorgb.com/gamegearongenesis.html

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Ah, that's great, thank you!

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 03:54 AM »
Most of the "Rom Packs" out there for SMS will likely include the GG conversions.