Author Topic: Any way to run bigger ROM files?  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Kobe

• View Profile
Any way to run bigger ROM files?
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:05 AM »
So I finally ad a chance to try out my Everdrive N8 today. Loaded up the SD card and started it up. Then I got Error A5 on every game I tried... Seems the limit for games is only 512KB? Wish I knew it before I ordered! I mainly use flash carts to run hacks/homebrews, and all the games I was excited to try out were 1-2MB large. What is the reason behind this, and is there any future plans to improve upon this?

I own 6 Everdrives at this point, and this is the only time I have been sincerely disappointed in one's functionality. Looking forward to your replies.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:08 AM by Kobe »

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
Re: Any way to run bigger ROM files?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:30 PM »
my opinion is as follows (maybe I read it somewhere):
1. The product is ultimately focused on the players of the main, original games, that the cartridge is more than fully able to cope with the task.
2. The largest / most voluminous game produced under the license of the nintendo - Metal Slader Glory(everdrive N8 well play this game.. )
3.and it is important: for large, as well as for "graffically advanced" games: mmc chips (mappers) were created, for expanding functions, RAM and features.
4. Optimization of mappers is extremely difficult work, especially (if I don’t confuse anything) cartridges are made by a very limited number of staff, and perhaps krikzz alone does the hardware and software .
5. and there is another thought: microcontrollers on 512kb (512 ppu / 512 cpu) have such a set of memory cells, work and processor architecture, and so on: which completely covers all official games produced by nintendo and third-party manufacturers. for the sake of the Chinese "999999 in 1" expand memory, probably expensive.
This also speaks of the limit options for "addresses" in RAM. They are as limited ... It is already invested in the codes of the game itself. And if you expand the size of ROM - it also means the use of very exotic and little known mappers "number ... often such were in Chinese collections.

Because It will be  to create a complex revision of the printed circuit from the zero and purchase more massive microcontrollers, with more memory ... Therefore, more than one separate conductors ... on such a board ''BGA "technology is not possible in principle ...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 08:07 PM by PalAndreew »

Offline Kobe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 12:27 AM »
Thank you for your in-depth reply. I understand, but it's still a real bummer. I have most of the original games on cartridge already, I prefer to use flash carts to run hacks/translations/mods on actual hardware, as I really dislike emulation. Guess I have no choice but to run Pokemon Yellow NES and Final Fantasy VII NES on my NES Classic...

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 12:53 AM »
Do note, while Metal Slader Glory in its untranslated form will work, the translated ROM expands the size to the point where it won't work within the 512Kb CHR/PRG limits on the N8.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Kobe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 02:32 AM »
So is there no way at all to run these games on actual hardware than to buy/make a repro cart? I tried running these games on my NES classic and to still no avail, as even in it's modded form that console doesn't support the 163 mapper. I feel like the NES/Famicom community is large enough that some people would be working on this? Considering the many translations/hacks that are 1+MB in size.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 06:31 AM »
Guess I have no choice but to run Pokemon Yellow NES and Final Fantasy VII NES on my NES Classic...

I hope krikzz will answer you ...
this topic is not new ...
 maybe at the moment it is impossible and not even necessary ..
. there is also a reason why they don’t make "exclusive PRO builds" with an inflated price tag ... this is all Equal would mean creating a pcb from scratch ...
and for this you need drawings, a new code, and so on.

My opinion of is positive: 99% of games
 (in this somewhere 1600 rom, among which are cool modern hacks, homebrew, translated into my language and so on ...)
 are excellently played. I would also like advanced functionality ... for example, the powerPak memory is similar to 512k + 512k ...
but there is an opportunity to listen to the recording in "nsf", take into account that there is a lot of music and there are very beautiful tracks, I, and many others want this functionality ...

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 07:34 PM »
So is there no way at all to run these games on actual hardware than to buy/make a repro cart? I tried running these games on my NES classic and to still no avail, as even in it's modded form that console doesn't support the 163 mapper. I feel like the NES/Famicom community is large enough that some people would be working on this? Considering the many translations/hacks that are 1+MB in size.

Those games cannot work even with retro arch and the one I would have loved to play is those Mapper #90 unsupported ones which am not certain but some seem to run on PocketNES while others do not I think.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Don't hold your breath on this, I know this from personal experience with going back and forth on this same subject with krikzz, regarding my 2mb mmc5 titles. (Legend of Link & Super Mario All-Stars NES) For now, you're subjected to repo carts and emulation.

Here's my original post https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6645.0

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 04:02 PM »
I'll have to test this stuff on my jailbroke NT mini. Action 52 works fine on it. Give me some big rom suggestions.