Author Topic: ED64 v3 randomly deleting saves  (Read 4047 times)

Offline swankerme

• View Profile
ED64 v3 randomly deleting saves
« on: April 02, 2019, 05:24 AM »
I have had a v3 for a few months now. I fired up OoT today and the save files were blank. I had previously played about 10 hours into the game - now it's gone, for no obvious reason.

This also happened to me with a Smash Bros save file.

The SD card is a newish, quality SanDisk. I am not messing with any settings, I'm just playing games. Has this happened to anyone else?

Offline swankerme

• View Profile
Re: ED64 v3 randomly deleting saves
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 06:15 AM »
Just to clarify, the save file still exists in the ED menu. I can see the SRA file for OoT. However, in both cases, when the game is loaded/started, it plays as if it is a fresh save - the previous saves are not showing or loaded.

Offline shiggypoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 03:16 PM »
It sounds like your battery is dying (battery is used for RTC as well as the SRAM)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my understanding of how save games work with EverDrives:

The SRAM is used for the last played game loaded in flash memory.  When you load a different game than the most-recently played, whatever is in the SRAM (in this case nothing because the battery died) gets written to the SD card.  It's like a swap file of sorts.

Best bet is if you notice save data missing, to immediately stop loading new games and create a backup of your existing SD card saves to mitigate the amount of loss. In an ideal situation, if you happen to load up the same game you played last time and notice the save data missing, then stop using it immediately and you won't lose the existing save for that game on the SD card (but it would be a bit out of date depending on when you last switched games)

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 04:23 PM »
I have had a v3 for a few months now. I fired up OoT today and the save files were blank. I had previously played about 10 hours into the game - now it's gone, for no obvious reason.

This also happened to me with a Smash Bros save file.

The SD card is a newish, quality SanDisk. I am not messing with any settings, I'm just playing games. Has this happened to anyone else?

Does your Everdrive have a USB port? if not, it is not a V3.

In either case, see if saving works by using the reset button on the console and waiting a few seconds before switching it off. If that works, then it is likely to be the battery (if a V3), but if it doesnt, it is likely something wrong with the file system on the SD card.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline swankerme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 05:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies. This is definitely a V3 (I paid the money for it!). Manufactured in May of last year. There is no way the battery is dead...there are still original N64 carts whose batteries are still (barely) kicking.

I'm at a loss. I tried to replicate the problem with other games. I tried messing with the SD card lock (that doesn't seem to matter). I don't know why it "defaulted" my save file to brand new. Again, the SRAM file isn't GONE...it's there...it's just a "new" (no game progress) save file.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies. This is definitely a V3 (I paid the money for it!). Manufactured in May of last year. There is no way the battery is dead...there are still original N64 carts whose batteries are still (barely) kicking.

Don't assume that the battery can't be dead or faulty. No manufacturing procress is 100% perfect, and a dead or unreliable battery (or even a batch of such batteries) might be shipped from the factory with no one knowing that they are flawed.

And don't assume that the Everdrive 64 is a verson 3, as whoever sent you the ED64 might have gotten the order wrong and send you a version 2.5. Mistakes happen.

It's possible that one of the above issues is causing you the problem, so what I suggest you do is put the SD card into your PC, then delete the save file from the SD card. Then put the card back into the ED64, put the ED64 into your N64, and play Ocarina of Time again, and when you save the game, then afterwards press RESET on the N64, and wait for the ED64 menu to come up.

Doing all of this should ensure that there is a new, working game-save on the SD card. Turn off the N64, and wait for at least ten seconds (to make sure the ED64's RAM is completely clear), then turn it back on, load OoT, and load the game save, and kept us know the result. Hopefully that will help to diagnose your problem.

Offline DevStarr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 05:23 AM »
I am having this problem too with my Mario 64 save file. Saved a bunch of times no problem over the course of a few weeks, and one day I booted up and the save was gone. Any help or explanation would be much appreciated  :)

Offline cell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 12:33 AM »
Going to bump this, as I don't see a more recent thread.

V3, OS Version 3.05. Having a similar issue;

Experiencing a save-file issue which until recently, was limited to Wave Race 64. Now, 1080 Snowboarding has begun giving me the same problem.

The save files have not been touched and are still in the save folder but when I load the rom, my previously saved progress is not loaded.

I have in the past, deleted the save files that were affected and started the game again but eventually the same issue arises.

Other games, for example Mario64, save without issue, so not the battery?

One odd thing that I did noticed the last time I deleted my Wave Race 64 save file;
started a new game and completed a Championship, then when the "New Records" crawl appears, only records better that my previous (deleted) save, appear!

Can't figure that out. Is there is some form of saved file I am not taking into account here, outside of the ED64 save folder?

Offline poggers123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 03:06 AM »
Got the same issue as well and I have a v3 (with a usb port). I also had the same issue on my brother in law's everdrive 64 v3 as well. I got it after playing rocket robot on wheels, mario party 2, paper mario, bomberman 64, and a couple other titles. After I switched back to rocket robot on wheels the saves were gone.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 01:09 AM »
I doubt the battery has anything to do with it if games like Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 that uses EEPROM are involved. I think there is something wrong with the ED64.

You could try formatting the SD card and installing a fresh OS with no save files and see if the problem persists.

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 08:04 PM »
Has nothing to do with the everdrive,recently i tried out v3.05,got problems with it,tryed deleting the ed64 folder,gives error on save folder.
So i think its something in the os itself,now back to 2.13 and jones almitghy latest release,no problems anymore.

Offline cell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 01:26 AM »
I doubt the battery has anything to do with it if games like Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 that uses EEPROM are involved. I think there is something wrong with the ED64.

You could try formatting the SD card and installing a fresh OS with no save files and see if the problem persists.

Is there any way at all, that a bad battery could be involved in corrupting a save file?
Either way, just realised that although unused, the replacement battery I fitted to my ED64 is probably as old as the battery that I removed. Have some on order for next week.

Has nothing to do with the everdrive,recently i tried out v3.05,got problems with it,tryed deleting the ed64 folder,gives error on save folder.
So i think its something in the os itself,now back to 2.13 and jones almitghy latest release,no problems anymore.

I have experienced the save file corruption with various v2. OS and when I moved to the most recent, v3.05.
Could it be something basic? That is to say, something more functional, like poor contact with the Cartridge Slot during a save file update?
I can certainly remember having experienced the "corrupt save" message on my controller pack, back in the day

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 01:47 PM »
I don't think battery could affect save files for games that use EEPROM or FLASH save types since EEPROM and FLASH chips doesn't use batteries. Games that use any of the three types of SRAM however, such as Ocarina of Time, would be affected.

Dirty cartridge connector can corrupt save files, but since it happens all the time and to several people I think it might be a software bug in the OS. The Nintendo 64 is quite a modern system so it probably doesn't have problems with cartridge pins very often yet, and the ED64 is even newer.

Offline cell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 05:54 PM »
So i think its something in the os itself,

OS v.3.05, is creating a second save file for some games like New Tetris and 1080 Snowboarding e.g. I now have both an sra and an srm save file for the same game.
The OS v.3.05 does not want to play nice with my old save files it seems, so I too have moved back to OS v.2.13, for the moment.

I have experienced save problems in the past but perhaps they also, were caused when I upgraded my ED64 OS.

re. the battery question;
Might not be the issue but after installing a new battery the OS v.3.05 still gives a "your battery has run dry" warning, on first start-up after OS installation.