Author Topic: Mega SG and FPGA Jailbreaking  (Read 196 times)

Online Galron

• View Profile
Mega SG and FPGA Jailbreaking
« on: May 18, 2019, 05:51 AM »
What is a jailbroken Mega SG potentially capable of? I mean right now it can do SC-1000, Master System, Genesis, and even Coleco Vision.... and we also know the system has standard Atari plugs, just like old sega systems used.... Is it possible for FPGA to also be reprogramed to handle Atari games and use Atari controllers, if someone included the cores with jailbreak mod?

Could Sega-CD games also be made to run off SD card without having to need the external CD hardware with a proper core? Or perhaps some kind of external SD/USB based digital thing that could be attached to the side port of the Mega SG to 'simulate' a CD drive, but actually be device similar to PSIO for Playstation?

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
Re: Mega SG and FPGA Jailbreaking
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 11:57 AM »
I'm absolutely no expert but I would say Atari would be very possible considering most Atari systems are weaker than the Genesis. It would just require Kevtris to implement it.

As for Sega CD. I'm not really sure as I would imagine the hardware to replicate it would be decently big so running the games and replicating the Sega CD unit might be too much. I would imagine it's very possible if a separate unit was made to do it. Again to be fair it would probably be up to Kevtris to implement it if it's possible.

So overall without being an expert at all I would say it's probably possible somehow. It's just if Kevtris wants to/or is allowed to implement it somehow.

Sorry for the vague answer but I saw nobody replied so thought I would try and answer the best I can.

Online Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Well the thing is its all a matter of what FPGA they are using too, and how much space is possible. There is apparently some work being done to add Sega CD to MISTer for example...

This if I'm reading it correctly... (if it s not some kind of physical 'add-on' thing for the MISTer with an additional FPGA)

https://twitter.com/AshEvans81/status/992085258098106368

Looks like PSI0 might look into a Mega CD option alternative similar to the PSI0 and their DCI0 as well.... Which hopefully might be compatible with the Mega SG?

https://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12051#p12051

t's just if Kevtris wants to/or is allowed to implement it somehow.

Wasn't it Smokemonster who did the jailbreaking, and added the current core compatibilities? He used to post here, but I don't know if he does anymore. He would be the person I'd love to ask, if he could include more cores in his jailbreak... At least Atari stuff....

As I understand it who ever made the jailbreak for the original Analogue NT or smaller one, actually included many different cores from Atari up to SNES/SEGA?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:54 PM by Galron »

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 11:35 PM »
Wasn't it Smokemonster who did the jailbreaking, and added the current core compatibilities?

No. He just releases them to the public. It's all Kevtris' work.

Online Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:49 AM »
I wish we could ask Kevtris about it..... I have old Atari controlers and I've love to see if they worked!

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:11 PM »
I wish we could ask Kevtris about it..... I have old Atari controlers and I've love to see if they worked!
Kevtris has been asked about things before but never answers questions about Jailbroken firmware. I don't know if he is actually allowed to discuss it. It could be part of his contract with Analogue.

Online Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Well obviously they aren't going to put SNES core on the Sega MG, or the Sega cores on the SNES... Since that would be hurt the sales of both products.